Thread: Sobig E-Mial Virus

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Sobig E-Mial Virus

Here's another variant of the last bug that went around.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...e_mail_virus_1
    ~Cindy

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." -Catherine Aird-

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones, but I have yet to get virus on either my laptop or home desktop. And I get almost no spam either.
    Since I've always run behind a firewall, and I never open unexpected emails, perhaps I'm just missing the boat here.
    On those occations where some website "requires" an email address, I just type in my hotmail address or go elsewhere. Since I never check the hotmail account (set up for this specific purpose) I guess all the C*** ends up there.

Guess I should just count my blessings and leave well enough alone.
    J. R. Smith

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    JRS:

I really like the idea of a dummy E. Mail address to get the junk. Now if I could just get a way to divert the jhit that already comes to my published E. Mail address to start going to a dummy address only.

I now get near 80 E. Mails (75 of them jhit) a day and it seems to increase every day.

Chip:hammer:

Bad address email on file gpw_ww's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

spam

I use something called zone alarm, and can be found at zonealarm.com, and it's free. Since I started using this, my spam went from about 90 pop ups a day down to about 2.

check it out.

gp_ww

Occupation
    Zone Alarm is a great product for ZERO cost. I used it for quite some time myself. Currently I use Norton as it came with some other software from them. It auto-updates, et al, so there is little for me to remember. But for anyone currently running the internet without benefit of any protection - get Zone Alarm now!

Another useful product (and also free) is "SpyBot". It handles tracking 'cookies' and other misc. c*** some of the sites like to drop on your system.

Chip - for you probably the only thing you can do is see about getting another primary email account through your ISP. Most of them allow a subscriber more than one address. You can then quit looking at your old one, or use it like the Hotmail system I referred to. In any event, it's a pain to change email addresses - kinda like when lose a credit card. Just getting the information out to those you want to have the new info takes time.

It's unfortunate that we have to go to such lengths to keep the trash out of our mail boxes.
    J. R. Smith

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    JRS said:

Chip - for you probably the only thing you can do is see about getting another primary email account through your ISP. Most of them allow a subscriber more than one address. You can then quit looking at your old one, or use it like the Hotmail system I referred to. In any event, it's a pain to change email addresses - kinda like when lose a credit card. Just getting the information out to those you want to have the new info takes time.

It's unfortunate that we have to go to such lengths to keep the trash out of our mail boxes.

What you can also do. Is get a new e-mail from your isp for personal and on the original block all incoming mail. Do this for a month or so and they will stop because they think you are gone.

I use my second e-mail for the **** I sign up for. I get all the junk there and since I check it infrequently I don't have to bother and since I set it up from time to time to accept no e-mails it does the tricak in a week or two.

YOu don't have aol, do you Chip? I left aol for a local small isp and have no problems with spam!
    ~Cindy

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." -Catherine Aird-

Occupation
    AOL is horrible with spam (and a few other things). Chip, take a look at what both Cindy & I said about contacting your ISP. Either they help - by providing another address, or you can certainly take your business elsewhere. Don't let them allow you a new address and tell you they will 'forward' mail (from your old address) to the new one. That would serve no purpose.
    J. R. Smith

Occupation

Sobig E-Mial Virus

:hammer: got hammered with this 30+ plus e-mails today
    luckily all were intercepted by the antivirus scanner on my isp so
    all i got were the warnings:hammer: never new i was so popular
    http://www.optispares.btinternet.co.uk

jack

It is by universal misunderstanding that all agree. For if, by ill luck, people understood each other, they would never agree.

Thread Information