Thread: Insurance Plans

Bad address email on file Psalls's Avatar

Insurance Plans

Our Ophthalmologist has brought on an OD. We are looking for some "good" insurance plans in which the OD can participate. Presently we only take VCP. Our practice is in Florida. I'm sorry if this thread was discussed before. I tried to do a search for the topic but came up empty handed. Thanks for your responses.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Angry

Sorry...But I cannot think of one "good" insurance plan, and we are on virtually all of them.....:(
    Jana Lewis
    ABOC , NCLE

A fine quotation is a diamond on the finger of a man of wit, and a pebble in the hand of a fool.
    Joseph Roux

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    Well, I'm sorry to be the one to say that it looks like insurance plans are here to stay (actually, I just read that in the thread about EyeMed :) ) But hopefully this is not news to you.

When evaluating insurance/managed care plans for your practice, remember that every practice is different, and has different goals. Work with your management to understand what you hope to gain by accepting other insurance plans, and try and identify the plans that will help you reach those goals.

You already accept VCP; it would probably not be much of a stretch to accept VSP too. I understand the plans are similar in philosophy. You have a full service practice from the MD/OD perspective...do you have a dispensary? This will be an issue for some insurance companies.

- Talk to other optical providers in your area; find out what they like/don't like about plans they accept (or no longer accept, more importantly!)
    - Find out which plans have employer clients in your area...doesn't make sense to sign up if no one in your neighborhood has the coverage.
    - Be aware of parent companies that own insurance plans and what their purpose for having the insurance company is...see the EyeMed thread that I referenced for more info on this. Many people are sensitive to accepting insurance plans (and thus aiding their mission financially) and then competing with that company's own corporate-owned optical locations (where they may try to channel the patients).
    - Insist on excellent office support from the insurance company; prompt payment; and online tools to manage the patients. These will save you money in the long run.
    - Remember that there is an economy of scale to be had here...the startup cost for learning a new insurance plan is high; as you and your staff become accustomed the plan, you will begin to make it work for your practice.

Ultimately, remember that the concept of managed care/insurance is to provide more patients to your office without you having the marketing expense. In return, you accept a lower fee for service that should ideally reflect the approximate cost of attracting new patients. You need to have a long-term focus to make this work: patients may change employers (and thus insurance plans...even becoming "uninsured"!), but they don't have to change eyecare providers. If you can build the relationship with that patient through good service, you will have access to their personal network of family, friends, co-workers, neighbors, children, etc. hopefully for a lifetime. That is a much better opportunity for second pairs, sunwear, etc.

Good luck!:cheers:

Bad address email on file R10957's Avatar

Looking for programs

I think that you are right. Evaluate your practice, so you know what you want from Ins. If it to build a practice, then you need to get all you can.
    If it is to fill space in chair, figure out what you need for your OD time, and use those companys that will get you close.
    Depending on how you are set up, dispensary, OD, MD, opticians, office manager, and also figure out you ability to do papaerwork. Some are ewasier than others

Rev

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If memory serves, I believe that you have a Lenscrafters in Edison Mall, so I would NOT take Eyemed if I were you.

BCBS Health Options. Quick and easy. No forms to fill out just straight discounts.

Vision One/ Cole Manager Care. Yes, you can be on CMV and not be a Pearle, Sears, et al. This will give you a battery of insurances including Aetna, which is really big in SW Florida. It will also give you access to GM, and you have alot of GM retirees down your way.
    "Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde"

Thread Information