Thread: Need Help

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Need Help

My frames broke and it was time for a new exam and rx. I've been wearing Zeiss Gradal PALs and now I'm considering Rodenstock Life C or colormatic extra. My script is R: -1.75, -.50, 5 and L: -2.0, -1.00, 135 (Sphere, Cyl, Axs). Would the move to Rodenstock be an equal move, a step down, or a step up in quality of lens? Or what would you suggest for wide channel and minimum distortion? Any comments or opinions would be appreciated!!!!

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    I forgot the add. It is 2.25 both eyes.

Bad address email on file
    This is an area that can get pretty touchy, since everyone has an oppinion on the subject :D

The newest and perhaps most comfortable is the Panamic by Essilor. Ultra smooth minimal distortion edge to edge. I get clear vision 2.5 feet wide at intermediate and more in the near with a 2.50 Add. I've also worn the Gradal Top and would rate it a bit less comfortable. Sorry, never tried the Rodenstock lens.

Shutterbug

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    We use the Life 2 lenses almost exclusively, and patient response is very positive, we find it a very good all round lens. In regards to the colormatic option, I personally would opt for something in Transitions, maybe the Solamax ( which has a nice wide reading area ). The Panamic also comes in Transition but I cannot comment on the lens because we do not use it in our office.
    "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar
    tom.
    if you must choose between the Zeiss and the Rodenstock, stay with the Zeiss, just because they're waht you're used to, now, if you want an upgrade, choose either the Rodenstock Multigressive, or the Varilux Panamic, but, the Trans.NG in the Vx will be better...best of life...

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Re: Need Help

tom.morrow said: Would the move to Rodenstock be an equal move, a step down, or a step up in quality of lens? Or what would you suggest for wide channel and minimum distortion?
    Essentially the same. Both designs have extremely clear distance peripheral vision. The "C" material is now called "APT". You can pretty much ignore the marketing hype concerning channel width. IMHP I would take the $100 or so that it would cost for the Colormatic and put it towards a polarized sunglass.

Robert

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Since I will obviously be biased regarding PAL designs, I won't make a suggestion (try Panamic, try Panamic- okay I lied). Instead, let me just second Robert's suggestion that you abandon the colormatic in favor of a second pair of polarized lenses. Your eyes will thank you every time you go outside in the sun!
    :D
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    try Panamic, try Panamic.
    Bias is ok, but subliminal is verboten!

Meanwhile Essilor sales managers are bewildered but pleased by a spike in Panamic sales on the 14th of August.

Thread Information