Thread: Low vision

Bad address email on file

Just wanted to see if we can get a thread going on Low vision and who has added its to their stores.I started working with low vision aids about a year ago and it is exploding. Why are so few opticians offering these products to their patients,when there is such an incredible need.
    What kinds of products do you carry??

Bad address email on file

Cateye88
    I have attended an Low Vision Seminar sponsored by Eschenbach a few years ago. They are, the leading global manufacturer of high quality vision aids. They do not sell directly to the visually impaired consumer but will provide resource material and the names of eye care or rehab professionals ( could be you ) who carry their products. I have added the new Aspheric aplanatic series 2655 hand-held magnifiers. These lenses have been specially calculated to provide distortion-free viewing. The most popular of the 2655 Series are the 7.6 diopter, 16 diopter and 20 diopter; all are available with optional A/R coating.
    I live and work in an area populated by 55,000 and a sizeable number of senior citizens are included in that figure...I offer these products because over the years I've gotten many phone inquires as well as walk-in inquires from those who care for the elderly who could not even describe the kinds of reading aids they were looking for...Now that people are slowly but surely discovering that I now have these magnifiers!, I'm told I'm the only optical in the immediate area who has them...Low Vision dispensing is a S L O W process; the costs involved i.e., telescopes, binoculars electronic reading devices ( CCTV ) for me is prohibitive...but if your Optometrist co-manages low vision patients with your local Opthalmologist, he/she can respond in kind by sending their patients back to your dispensary for the reading aids they need! Check it out!!!
    http://www.eschenbach.com/home.asp

Bad address email on file Jackie L's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    CatEye88...............As independent Opticians, we carry a few Eschenbach products and the Corning SPF series. Most of our referalls are from MD's who do not dispense. It can be expensive to keep a large inventory on hand, but well worth it. When we are able to enhance someone's life with a low vision aid, nothing compares.

Jackie O

------------------

Still a Maina for now

Occupation
    Optical Retail

We've been working with LVA and the visually handicapped for over 12 years now.

Apart from having a large stock of different magnifiers, telescopes, and hundreds of other accessories, the main ingredient is patience, time and a need to help these people.

We have a lot of equipment that we keep aside for loaning out also, the Pt has to be able to try the item in his/her own home environment and know that it will help them.

We also supply a hand held CCTV unit that transmits a magnified image of text to a domestic TV, and this usually means a trip to the home of the Pt. to set it up, then a further visit when it becomes disconnected....... it's all a lot of work and we often discuss whether the whole business of LVA is really that profitable.

CPF lenses (Corning Photochromic Filters) also solve a lot of problems.

I think I can honestly say it's the pleasure we get from helping a patient to read again or watch TV more comfortably than any financial gain involved, and of course the spin off can come from the family who may need conventional optometry and know that we are serious professionals.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I got into Low Vision about 2 years ago. Eschenbach was a great help in setting up.I also carry the Telesensory Aladdin electronic magnifier which I chose above all the others due to its ease of use for older customers.I agree with Clive that it is a lot of work however, the profitability question is another story. From an accounting standpoint it might be a breakeven situation or marginally profitable, but the spinoff business in increasing your customer base by not only the visually impaired, but their families and friends as well.That won't show up on the Low Vision balance sheet but is a very real source of profit.Its a fascinating field and professionally rewarding.
    Best from the Cape!

------------------
    Harry J

Thread Information