Thread: An interesting rx...

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

An interesting rx...

Actually the rx is pretty normal, but the disclaimer at the bottom of the rx blank is interesting.

"OPTICAL DISPENSER: In accepting this prescription, you are responsible to accurately fabricate to exact specifications, even for 1/8 diopter intervals. Substitutions are not permissible. You also assume the obligation to make frame and/or lens power adjustments if required. Do not accept otherwise."

I had actually referred my customer to this particular OD because I had confidence in his exams and he was convenient to her home. However, we both had a good chuckle over the disclaimer, after I explained it to her. Now I need to find her another OD.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I worked with an OD once upon a time a while back, he too wrote in 1/8 increments and 1/2 degree axis. It's been a long time since I've thought about that!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile rx,s

those warnings on the bottom of rx,s are just a bunch of nonsense, usually from dr,s who can stand losing one, and also they are not the law, and you do not have to pay it any attention

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Judy:

What's the problem (you gonna do frame adjustments free anyway) unless the O.D. establishes a pattern of making himself a pain with "revising the Rx" on repeated cases, what's different?

Chip

There are a few more concientious practioners that refract to an eighth of a diopter and don't sloppliy put every axis at the nearest 5 degrees. I always think this just indicates a doctor that takes a little more pride in his work than most.

Chip:bbg:

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Traci said:
    I worked with an OD once upon a time a while back, he too wrote in 1/8 increments and 1/2 degree axis. It's been a long time since I've thought about that!
    I know that Rx! It's a -10.12 -.12 X 45 1/2.

I actually recieved an Rx like this once. The OD had the waiting room plastered with religous material. An optician had to be omnipotent to fill this Rx so it seemed fitting. He sold vitamins on the side also.

Robert

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So how is he going to tell the difference between .12 change through incorrect specifications, and .12 change though you modifying the prescription (as is your obligation)?

I assume that naturally, his Snellen chart distance and illumination are to 'exact specifications', because, let's face it, substitutions are not permissable. :)

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Oh my god!!! Just imagine if everybodies instruments are .12 off!!! Then we have serious issues.

A disclaimer like this is supposed to be a psycological deterant for the patient. It is supposed to give the impression that their doctor is the only one that will make the lenses to PROPER specifications. It also covers the buttocks in case the doc is a little off in the Rx.

Oh well...and so it goes.... etc... etc...

ad

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I once had a patient come in with an RX of :

OD -0.12 -.0.12 X 180
    OS -0.50

His OD told him he had to buy toric contacts at a price of $315.00 only from him. I had to finess this one as he said he was "a friend" of the OD.

I explained to him that with his RX for the right eye he really didn't need correction. I explained the ANSI standards to him. I made him promise before he spent $315 on contacts that he would pay for another exam and if he did require the contacts I would reimburse him for the second exam.

He came back every year to me after that to buy glasses and his next Rx was, you guessed it:

OD Plano
    OS -.50
    ~Cindy

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." -Catherine Aird-

Thread Information