Thread: Phone shoppers

Bad address email on file

Phone shoppers

We all occasionally get phone calls from people who want to know how much is your eye exam? or how much are glasses?

Do you:
    1. answer the question that is asked and nothing more
    2. answer the question and try to find out what they are looking for and explain how your optical meets their needs.
    3. you don't give prices over the phone.
    4. some other response?

Bad address email on file optigoddess's Avatar
    I was taught to "answer, add & ask".

Bad address email on file John R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Thumbs up

Well if you want them to buy from you No 2....
    The more information you can get from them the better the chance you have of getting them through your door.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote a low and a high. Explain the cost of frames and lens types vary.

Other approach, used all too often in my opinion, bait and switch. Quote low and the show them junk at that price and explain why thier situation demands a lot more.

Chip

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I would go for your #2 response. I am in the lab and do not have first hand knowledge about how an office should answer. As a consumer, when I am purchasing something for the first time I like to get an idea of cost and feel for the establishment.
    You are the first contact, make the Rx want to visit you!
    Joseph Felker
    AllentownOptical.com

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well, #2 but in reverse order. Find out what they're looking for first. They tend to stop listening after they get a price quote. I call it "selective hearing". My kids have it, and sometimes so does my husband.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    PAW,

Chances are they are going down through the phonebook and/or yellow pages. So if you are not able to leave a favorable impression on them, your competition will have the opportunity to do so.

Phone ettiquite is not only a semantics skill but an attitude which is easily determined by the caller. One of the biggest problems I sense as a caller is that most places fail when it comes to providing open ended answers because your call may be inconvenient as they are doing other things. Therefore, they only provide closed end answers with hopes to end the call as soon as possible and return to the task which your phone call seperated them from.

I am just as guilty as many others by huffing and puffing when the phone rings and the caller starts asking questions while I have a gazillion different things to do. However, this is our first opportunity we have to share our ability to meet their needs.

After each phone call, you should have the confidence of knowing you have created a positive experience for the caller and they will probably do the same by walking in your doors.

Kevin

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I'm with Judy. I normally ask what they are having a problem with, whether they wear ctl's or glasses, or even how many people they have already called. :D

I don't think that any of our offices are the "cheapest" around so if someone is truely looking for the dirt cheap price I just tell them our price and expect not to hear from them again. There is always an OD in CA willing to do a 79$ exam and glasses special that is basically the bait and switch that Chip mentioned. I never get into a price war with people. I just make sure that from our conversation they have a posative feeling about our office.

Another reason I don't fret over cost is because our NP exam is 200$:drop: I have actually been hung up on!!!

ad

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I remember a similar topic a while back and now have to bite my toungue and smile when I hear "How much are glasses?" As I recall someone responded that you might as well call your local Chevy dealer and ask "How much are cars?"

People can always tell WHEN there's a "smile" in your voice...they just don't always know WHY there's a "smile" in your voice...:D

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    We are a fairly new kid on the block. Therefore, I believe many if not a majority of our calls on pricing is from competition.

I found a way that usually weeds out these callers from other customers:

We ask them to read their RX over the phone so that we have an accurate understanding of their optical needs. Then we ask them for their phone number so that we can call back in about five minutes after calculating their RX with our price list.

Pros:
    This gives us a little time to tailor a presentation around the patient needs. Patients feel your service is more technical than other places due to the exchange of information. However, 10 out of 10 times a competitor won't leave their phone # because they don't want to get caught with their pants down when they answer the phone "Joes Discount Optics" as they get the message not to mess with you
    :finger: :finger: :finger:

Kevin

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I spent alot of money on my yellow page ad so people will call me. I treat them with the same respect as if they are standing in front of me in my store. Find out what they need and tell them how wonderful you are and what services you offer...don't stop at the price.
    I know some optical people think that every phone shopper that they get is the competition. Well if a competitor wants my price list they can come get it. I charge what I charge and do not worry about what others charge, I honestly do not care.
    I had a call several years ago from a lady asking me prices of Sv, bifocal, PaL, and trifocals. Well the caller ID identified the MD's name I asked the lady if she was calling from Dr. x's office...she was floored! I told her my prices were no secret, that she didn't have to be secretive about it, I said anytime you want to know a price feel free to call me.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter varmint's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    CME4SPECS said:
    Well the caller ID identified the MD's name I asked the lady if she was calling from Dr. x's office...she was floored! I told her my prices were no secret, that she didn't have to be secretive about it, I said anytime you want to know a price feel free to call me.
    I've had this happen too, it really floors them sometimes. if your gonna call you competion at least disable your caller id, duh.
    I actually had an office manager call me back because her employee was so intimidated because I knew who she was. I told her the same thing as you, I'll be happy to swap pricing info anytime, just call or come on by.

"How much are glasses?"
    "Oh, about as much as a new handbag."

I also do vinyl cutting & make signs. That industry gets the same questions, "How much does an average sign cost?"

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Keep in mind that just because someone is calling about your prices doesn't mean they are looking for the least expensive place to get their glasses. Maybe they are looking for the good stuff! Tell them what you offer, the service, the warranties, the whatever, don't just tell them $49.99 and be done with them, get them to come in!

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    My opinion is that when a potential patient or customer wants information, I try to get it to them ASAP. Wasting a few minutes with bogus callers pales in comparison to the possibility of turning away legitimate callers. Besides, I really don’t care if our competitors know what we charge anyway!
    Last edited by 1968; 08-08-2003 at 01:53 AM.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    For local eyecare professionals to get together and discuss fees is collusion and very illegal.

So, the best way to guage the local market is to make those shopper calls. And raise the fees if needed.

Harry

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We post our prices (and they are not the lowest ) right in our advertising. Hopefully it scares away the people that are looking for the cheapest in town.

take the chance to educate

I think a call like this can be a great opportunity to educate your consumer. "Our rates are between x and x, depending on what you are looking for. It sounds like you are doing some phone shopping today. Be sure as you are making your calls to find out what selection of frames that includes and who will be administering your exam."

You may use turnaround time and a service agreement as your compare points- whatever works for you. Plug in the particular strengths of your practice. Often times, price is the only thing the customer knows how to ask about, and so it is the only factor in making a decision. Help them to know why you are better so that they have a reason to select you.

Thread Information