Thread: Auto Lensmeter and Blocking

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Smilie Auto Lensmeter and Blocking

I have used an old school (from 1945) lensmeter for the past 30 years. It finally died and decided for the sake of my staff to get an autolensmeter. However, I have never personally used one before. We do a little bit of edging (simple single vision jobs). My question is how to use this new lensmeter for blocking the lens. The manual for this lensmeter shows I check the glasses upside down from how I do now in my old manual lensmeter. Just wondering if I block the lens, does that mean I have to then turn the lens upside down when putting it in the blocker? Or it doesn't matter because it will just be 180 degrees so it shouldn't cause any issue when putting it blocker? I feel like I'm overthinking it. But I don't like change. Maybe I should return this and get a manual lensmeter.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Personally, I wouldn't use *any* autolensometer for layout/blocking purposes. Might get more insight if you can provide make/model of the new auto unit for others who may use the same?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Locally, almost everyone I know uses an automatic lens meter for blocking, verification, you name it. Myself included, on the occasions I have a rush job which I handle the edging myself.

If you're talking SV lenses (especially stock lenses), yes, as you mentioned, doesn't really matter which side is up, since it's 180 degrees apart.

However, for higher cyl or more complex fittings, to work around inevitable lens meter error etc, I sometimes dot up the lens in both orientations (assuming the inferior edge is facing me, and then away from me), then take the middle of there's any (usually, mild) difference.

So far no complaints from the patients :)

Thread Information