Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: pal pt w/ 15Δ BO

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

pal pt w/ 15Δ BO

i've got a pt with quite the rx, they wear essentially plano prism pal's over their contacts just to reduce thickness as much as possible, (-7.50/-8.50 in clx) but admittedly im trying to find the best progressive that's gonna work for them, they've got a particularly small eye size, we're leaning towards a 48/17 zyl frame, they've worn both the DRX and the autograph 3, currently in the DRX, i guess im wondering if that's likely gonna be the best lens for them in the shamir or essilor family.. or if there's gonna be a better lens able to withstand such high prisim

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by dwlk View Post
    i've got a pt with quite the rx, they wear essentially plano prism pal's over their contacts just to reduce thickness as much as possible, (-7.50/-8.50 in clx) but admittedly im trying to find the best progressive that's gonna work for them, they've got a particularly small eye size, we're leaning towards a 48/17 zyl frame, they've worn both the DRX and the autograph 3, currently in the DRX, i guess im wondering if that's likely gonna be the best lens for them in the shamir or essilor family.. or if there's gonna be a better lens able to withstand such high prisim
    Assuming it's split, 7.5 BO is not that bad especially if it's plano. As far as the different PALs go, I BELIEVE(would love to be corrected if i'm wrong!!!) all lenses will get essentially treated the same as far as slapping prism into the lens goes. I've never had a rep come up to me and mention anything like "btw, if you ever get a high prism patient, this lens will do _____".

So yeah! have fun!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Prentice Pro 9000 View Post
    Assuming it's split, 7.5 BO is not that bad especially if it's plano. As far as the different PALs go, I BELIEVE(would love to be corrected if i'm wrong!!!) all lenses will get essentially treated the same as far as slapping prism into the lens goes. I've never had a rep come up to me and mention anything like "btw, if you ever get a high prism patient, this lens will do _____".

So yeah! have fun!
    its 15 BO OU :(

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ryser's rule on this rx in progressives!

Are you moving the OC's 5mm to account for the prism.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    That's untenable.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    That's untenable.
    "....they've worn both the DRX and the autograph 3, currently in the DRX,"

Ryser's Rule baby!!!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    Ryser's rule on this rx in progressives!

Are you moving the OC's 5mm to account for the prism.
    i've already got a pd of 25/26, would i be moving them outward? he does say in his current pair he seems to get better clarity moving his lenses physically outward

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Those can't be treated as typical glasses. They have to be treated as medical devices. That means you have to find a small round frame (hope his head fits his tiny p.d.) of, like, a 43 eyesize. You can just forget PALs altogether and use a D-seg. Then you gotta use Trivex or CR39.

Do him a favor and end the fantasy that he's going to have "normal" glasses. PALs? No freaking way. -8.00 with 15 BO? YGBKM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Are the current DRX glasses with fresnel press on?

That's the only way I see a lab doing a -8.00 with 15^ out OU.

Or can they do it with decentration?

I can't believe they are in progressives!

Post # 10 by drk.

https://www.optiboard.com/forums/showthread.php/72970
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 03-19-2024 at 11:50 AM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	content (2).jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	52.9 KB 
ID:	15549

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    ok ok, so he wear's a plano glx with the prism in it, over his clx with all the rx in it, so all his glasses will have is a pl +2.50 add and the 15BO ou, he has a pd of 25/26, currently his favorite frame is silhouettes spx 2960 in a 48/17, but i may honestly start considering some kid's frame or a more petite womans frame that isnt too flashy

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by NAICITPO View Post

geez thats gonna give him a pd of 20.5/21.5

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Oh.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by dwlk View Post
    its 15 BO OU :(
    hmmmmm.... In my case I would def call the doc. In my head I think of this as 15 total base out. But you've probably already called the doc. And in that case, ya gotta call around and just see what's available lol.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by NAICITPO View Post

oh daaaaang.... two questions:

what about opposing prisms in each eye (one up and one down) and single vision lenses?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    oh daaaaang.... two questions:

what about opposing prisms in each eye (one up and one down) and single vision lenses?
    Applies to all prism. Prism not only displaces viewed object, it also displaces the pupil.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    OK, I admit that this stuff confuses me, but the prism doesn't displace the pupil except for maybe the wearer's face in the mirror. Only incident image displacement is what we're talking about.

You're confusing me. Stop it.

When measuring for fitting height, you're using demo lenses without prism, so it doesn't matter.
    Last edited by drk; 03-20-2024 at 10:48 AM.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    Applies to all prism. Prism not only displaces viewed object, it also displaces the pupil.

So to be clear if I had a patient with a 5 BU and a 5 BD pal rx I would move the right lens down about 1.5mm and the left lens up about 1.5mm. And this is something that is done every time, correct?

Occupation
    Optometrist
    This stuff makes no sense to my brain. Can we start at the beginning?

Let's say a person has a "higher right eye/hyperorbit". You put the fitting height at the correct individual height, and we're done.

Let's say a person has no hyperorbit and their eyes are level. But the right eye turns upward due to a muscle problem. So, say 6^ BD prism is prescribed.

You put the patient in a frame, you probably should occlude one eye then the other (like a pupillometer does) and dot the pupil center with a non-dried-out marker. (Normally you wouldn't need to occlude an eye for a vertical MRP, but maybe this patient's right eye is shooting up because his left eye is dominant and looking at your eyes so you force the right eye to look at you by covering the left.)

In this scenario, the dots would be the same fitting height: 24 high, let's say, because you occluded and the guy has normal orbital symmetry.

So, for sake of simplicity let's load all the prism in the right eye, and not split it.

When verifying, you get out a ruler and mark the specified vertical MRP, and put the dot on the lensometer. You should read 6^ BD OD, none OS.

You put it on his face, and the right image shoots up. The right eye then either "relaxes" (because it's a phoria and he was straining to maintain binocular fusion) or "stops seeing double" (because it's a strabismus and he couldn't fuse to get a single image).

Where is there a need to compensate anything?
    Last edited by drk; 03-20-2024 at 10:57 AM.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So IIRC 1 prism diopter will move an object 1cm at 1meter. that works on both sides of the lenses, but I thought it was only a cosmetic thing. wtf. Somebody needs to draw this out

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Old but gold, a thread about this particular type of compensation, with input from the late (and great) Daryl Meister:

Fitting PALs with prescribed prism

TLDR: compensate the centration by 0.3 mm towards the apex of the prism, per prism dioptre. 'Pretty inconsequential' below 3 prism dioptres (per the linked thread), which makes sense since that's less than 1 mm of compensation.
    Last edited by AndyOptom; 03-20-2024 at 11:05 AM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So IIRC 1 prism diopter will move an object 1cm at 1meter.
    Yes. Because the object image is displaced towards the apex of the prism, the eye has to deviate .27mm towards the apex of the prism, at the lens surface for an average stop distance of 27mm. For simplicity, assume 30mm, or round, and you get .3mm per diopter.

Forget prism for a moment. Look at target on a wall at a distance of 1000mm, now physically move that target up 10mm. Your eye will have to physically rotate upward to look at the new target location. The amount your line of sight travels across the lens to the new target can be calculated with simple trig.

Same thing applies whether it is a real object moving or the image of the object being displaced by prism.

Pick up a copy of System for Ophthalmic Dispensing. It has very detailed explanations and a lot of pictures.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Still makes no sense to me.

If we're talking about PALs, we're talking about binocularity through skinny-winny corridors. Maybe skinny near zones.

I don't know who but Andy can run with me on this, but hear me out: If there is prism, one eye will, in the binocular state, deviate outwards (let's just use the monocular exo case). So the first-order thinking is "well, the eye is pointing out, now, so it can't use the corridor...".

But here's my obstacle: Sure, the eye is turned out because the prism moved the image out there, but it also moved the corridor out there as well, optically.

The way to test it would be this: take a frame off the board and use scotch tape to make a sliver of clear lens simulating a corridor. Then look through 15^ BI at a near object. (Your eyes will not be converged anymore, but dead straight like you're looking at distance.) Can you see through the openings in either eye (have to judge this in a binocular condition, not close one eye then another)? Or do you see clear in one eye and fuzz in the other?

I"m gonna do it.

But here's what I don't get, and never did (and it goes with the whole short corridor for myopia argument):

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Dang it, i ruined my ar-coating with the scotch tape!

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwill212 View Post
    Yes. Because the object image is displaced towards the apex of the prism, the eye has to deviate .27mm towards the apex of the prism, at the lens surface for an average stop distance of 27mm. For simplicity, assume 30mm, or round, and you get .3mm per diopter.

Forget prism for a moment. Look at target on a wall at a distance of 1000mm, now physically move that target up 10mm. Your eye will have to physically rotate upward to look at the new target location. The amount your line of sight travels across the lens to the new target can be calculated with simple trig.

Same thing applies whether it is a real object moving or the image of the object being displaced by prism.

Pick up a copy of System for Ophthalmic Dispensing. It has very detailed explanations and a lot of pictures.
    I'm going to crack that open as soon as I get home!

Thread Information