Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Navigating the blue light protection scam

Occupation
    Optometrist

Navigating the blue light protection scam

Blue light protection is a scam. In all my many years I've never seen such a delusion take hold. It speaks to the "disinformation age" in which we find ourselves. (Editorial comment.)

1. Blue light damage from a screen is infinitessimally small, and the concern is way out of proportion. The fact that anyone ever invented the "blue scare" shows how craven our industry is. Pathetic.

2. Some (all?) blue light filters pass light that has blue (somewhat...20%?) subtracted so it functions as a mild warm-toned "tint". Of course one could just as easily adjust the color temperature of their monitors or their devices (and some automatically do that for you, already). But we all know a little tint "feels nice".

3. There is a placebo effect, perhaps. There is a psychological benefit, perhaps.

4. It's akin to a "fashion trend" like thick, black plastic nerd frames became, years ago. It's considered "gaming gear". Etc. No harm, no foul.

Here's my policy, to date.
    1. I sure as heck don't promote it. "I'm not a crook."
    2. If asked, I tell them the truth. "I'm not at all worried about damage to the eye from blue light. But many people like the comfort of the blue-blocker." Because it's true.
    3. If blue light protection is requested, I don't try to disabuse them of their wishes. I'll comply.

But now the question:
    There are two kinds of product out there (right?). One is a blue-reflecting AR/mirror-like product. The other is a virtually invisible product that I believe is in the polymer itself, and is not a coating.

Assuming I'm correct, which product is "better" for a guy like me?

If I truly believed that blue light damage mattered (i.e. if I were a stupid person) I would rather have my patients walking around in the invisible form. And "everyone should have it!". But there would be no need to be "showy" about it.

If I believe that its akin to a fashion accessory/placebo (that's me), I believe it makes more sense to bring the dog-and-pony full force. Make those lenses look purpley and all reflective! Let them know they got that blue light coating!!

So my decision is to use a product type that "shows off" the fact that there is blue protection. But I really value the input of the board, here. What do you think?
    Last edited by drk; 03-13-2024 at 10:14 AM.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Examples of "in mass"
    https://www.zeiss.com/vision-care/us...blueguard.html
    https://shamir.com/for-professionals...mir-blue-zero/
    https://www.essilorpro.com/resources...al-blue-series

Examples of coatings:
    https://www.essilorpro.com/resources...izal-prevencia

Now I have a possible middle ground, here. What about using the in-mass technology so the lenses don't look purple, but use a quality AR over the in-mass so that there is a visible "coating" that the patient can tangibly understand/see?
    Last edited by drk; 03-12-2024 at 01:42 PM.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I'm now under the impression that the "invisible" blue blocking is probably imbibed on the front surface like photochromics, and there are treated blanks that are required.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Ultimately, we have positioned it as a tint, or the old-style UV coating. We will use AR with it (as we should on virtually all lenses.)

In the end, with our fee schedule, the patient pays a slight bit less than they would for a blue-blocking AR coating, they get all the blue blocking their eyes "demand" (hah), and they get the better cosmetic effect of a traditional AR. But they will have the tangible residual color to convince them that SOMETHING has been done.

No lie, this blue-blocking stuff is like the emperor's new clothes. Can you see an unscrupulous optician pushing the daylights out of blue blocking and not providing it because it's invisible, anyway? I sure can!

Some day soon for verification (I'm sure it's already there) we will have the light meters like the old UV light meters to prove the wavelength cut-off (actually may be more of a "ramp-down" as there is probably still 80% transmission of blue wavelength).
    Last edited by drk; 03-12-2024 at 02:27 PM.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    Here's my policy, to date.
    1. I sure as heck don't promote it. "I'm not a crook."
    2. If asked, I tell them the truth. "I'm not at all worried about damage to the eye from blue light. But many people like the comfort of the blue-blocker." Because it's true.
    3. If blue light protection is requested, I don't try to disabuse them of their wishes. I'll comply.
    Same. The only time I try to steer someone away from a blue-blocking AR is if they have an insurance plan that restricts them to Crizal Propagandenzia and they are getting every-day glasses. It just looks sooooooo baaaaaaaaaad.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I always dissuaded patients, explaining the minuscule % of blue light from monitors, how this was propagated by a single company, that this info has been poo-pooed by real science, etc. If they still insisted I’d recommend Transitions. They block about the same amount of blue as filters and you get an actual extra function you notice, and more than likely benefit from.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I often dispense all forms of blue cut lenses (coatings, in-mass, and indirectly via photochromics) to patients, with the following caveats:

- I do not make any claims about the alleged health risks or clinical studies, retinal damage, and so on.

- I merely highlight it as a minor add on to clear lenses, that *may* be soothing to some patients. For photochromics, I just tell patients that it is a built-in feature of contemporary photochromic lenses.

- The pricing at my workplace allows me to dispense these blue cut products without significant mark up to the patient compared to the same lenses without the blue cut option.

- For patients sensitive about cosmetics, I go with in-mass for less reflections, but for those who want that blue reflection to complement their frame choice, I'm happy to oblige with a blue coat.

- Choice of which modality could also be due to what the lab has for a particular lens e.g. local Hoya only does blue coats and photochromics, no in-mass.

- For photographers et al, I point out the potential effects on their colour vision since I've no idea how sensitive they might be, and keep some plano uncuts of various brands etc on hand for them to look through. I leave the final decision to them after that.

In short, it's basically minimal added cost to the patient, explained as a theoretical added comfort option (with no harm done otherwise), and they get to examine + check the view through a sample lens before deciding.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We have altogether stopped selling Prevencia, Duravision BlueProtect, Recharge EX3, Techshield Blue etc... It is not just Prevencia that looks awful @AngeHamm, they all look terrible! If someone wants blue light, we offer it in a blue light filter, which looks many times better than a blue light AR. We do not recommend blue light but if someone is hell bent on getting it I am not going to dissuade them. If they ask for my honest opinion I tell them. I agree Drk, there is some placebo effect most likely going on.

Blue light filter >>> blue light AR

Attachment 15547

https://www.2020mag.com/ce/lets-be-clear-about-blue

The picture is from a 20/20 magazine article which looks to be written by a shill for big optics companies. I don't want to sound rude, I am sure she is a smart, knowledgeable optician (she has her ABOM), but here is her closing, "In summary, this course emphasized the importance of reducing our lifetime exposure to actinic light (UVR and HEV blue) as a reasonable precaution against ocular injury and damage from the phototoxicity of high-energy wavelengths. We have also learned about protective lenses that can help us accomplish the goal of reducing our lifetime exposure to actinic UVR and HEV light. Mitsui Chemicals’ UV+420cut™ is a clear lens technology that cuts HEV blue light in the 400 to 420 nm spectrum, in addition to blocking of UV radiation, thereby enhancing the level of protection in our clear everyday lenses against the types of light that can damage the eyes. Earn your patients’ trust by helping them prevent damage to their eyes to preserve their eye health."

Tell me you are shilling for a large corporation without telling me you are shilling for a large corporation...

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by NAICITPO View Post
    It is not just Prevencia that looks awful @AngeHamm, they all look terrible!
    They all look worse than standard ARs for sure, but Prevencia is so much worse than the others.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Some great discussion here. Thank you.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When I get a patient who is concerned about blue light, I only offer my thoughts if they ask me for them, otherwise I mentally shrug and plod ahead. In some respects, depending on your specific practice, this might even have net financial benefits! Take VSP for instance. Prevencia and Sapphire are both tier D. Pt wants blue light, you're getting the same amount of money from them either way. ORRRRRRR you could switch over to an Eyezen lens and suddenly you're making a couple extra ducats from the Digital plus the technical add on plus the filter add on, while still (presumably) making the same amount for the AR, and the lenses don't look quite so purple. There's other benefits to going to an Eyezen (or whatever your digital SV of choice is), but if someone's champing at the bit for blue protection, I'm not going to gainsay them

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    *le sigh*

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by juno View Post
    When I get a patient who is concerned about blue light, I only offer my thoughts if they ask me for them, otherwise I mentally shrug and plod ahead. In some respects, depending on your specific practice, this might even have net financial benefits! Take VSP for instance. Prevencia and Sapphire are both tier D. Pt wants blue light, you're getting the same amount of money from them either way. ORRRRRRR you could switch over to an Eyezen lens and suddenly you're making a couple extra ducats from the Digital plus the technical add on plus the filter add on, while still (presumably) making the same amount for the AR, and the lenses don't look quite so purple. There's other benefits to going to an Eyezen (or whatever your digital SV of choice is), but if someone's champing at the bit for blue protection, I'm not going to gainsay them
    Essilor has a separate blue light filter lens you can order that is not a digital lens and it comes with Sapphire and you can order it as stock lenses. I think VSP gives you like what $7 for blue light? No one is getting rich for selling blue light or Eyezen.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We only offer "in mass" BLF. Keep your purple reflex, yellow tinted lenses away from my patients. Totally agree that is a solution looking for a problem.

Slightest of known benefits is to reduce sleep pattern disruptions when using digital devices at night. How much it helps? Who knows, but probably very little ,if any at all.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I really get annoyed when I see pts who purchased eyewear elsewhere that are photochromic with the BLF AR Barney tint. STOP people, use a good quality AR with Transitions, no BLF needed.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Elvis Is Alive View Post
    I really get annoyed when I see pts who purchased eyewear elsewhere that are photochromic with the BLF AR Barney tint. STOP people, use a good quality AR with Transitions, no BLF needed.
    The same kind of people who wear masks in their car by themselves... Can never be too careful when it comes to Covid... or Blue light...

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by NAICITPO View Post
    Essilor has a separate blue light filter lens you can order that is not a digital lens and it comes with Sapphire and you can order it as stock lenses. I think VSP gives you like what $7 for blue light? No one is getting rich for selling blue light or Eyezen.
    Not getting rich, but happy to accept a few extra bucks from folks who want to give me them

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    https://www.aao.org/eye-health/tips-...out-blue-light

"there is no scientific evidence that blue light from digital devices causes damage to your eye."

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/...-2019040816365

"current evidence does not support the use of blue light-blocking lenses to protect the health of the retina, and advertisers have even been fined for misleading claims about these types of lenses."

"
    Blue light from electronic devices is not going to increase the risk of macular degeneration or harm any other part of the eye. "

https://scitechdaily.com/blue-light-...-sleep-claims/

"According to a recent Cochrane review, eyeglasses promoted to block blue light likely have no impact on eye strain from computer usage or on sleep quality."

"According to a review of 17 randomized controlled trials, glasses marketed to filter out blue light likely don’t alleviate eye strain from computer use or improve sleep quality."

The review in question:
    https://www.cochrane.org/news/blue-l...ealth-or-sleep
    Last edited by Uilleann; 03-19-2024 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Edited to say it louder for the folks in the back now...

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I just tell patient's to turn on night-shift on their phones or computer screen. To me it is better (actually easier on my eyes) and it's free

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    https://www.aao.org/eye-health/tips-...out-blue-light

"there is no scientific evidence that blue light from digital devices causes damage to your eye."

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/...-2019040816365

"current evidence does not support the use of blue light-blocking lenses to protect the health of the retina, and advertisers have even been fined for misleading claims about these types of lenses."

"Blue light from electronic devices is not going to increase the risk of macular degeneration or harm any other part of the eye. "

https://scitechdaily.com/blue-light-...-sleep-claims/

"According to a recent Cochrane review, eyeglasses promoted to block blue light likely have no impact on eye strain from computer usage or on sleep quality."

"According to a review of 17 randomized controlled trials, glasses marketed to filter out blue light likely don’t alleviate eye strain from computer use or improve sleep quality."

The review in question:
    https://www.cochrane.org/news/blue-l...ealth-or-sleep

+1000

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When asked by a patient about it, my approach is to explain that there isn't definitive consensus yet as to how much ocular "damage" HEV light causes. (This is a hot button issue apparently and some opticians get extremely defensive over this, despite it being true that not all scientists/research has come to a definitive conclusion that blue light does cause ocular/retinal damage. I think it's important to not make assertions that something is definitely true when we don't know that yet.) I explain that we get exposed to blue light outside in the sunshine too. I tell them that there is evidence to suggest that blue light can make your eyes feel more strained or tired, due to those light rays falling short of the retina. I also remind them that any time you are staring at a screen, be it your phone or computer, you tend to blink less, which can also contribute to eye tiredness and strain and dry eye, so it is important to take breaks to look away and blink.

I have had a patient tell me that they believe the blue blocker helps prevent migraines for them. Maybe that's true or maybe that's the placebo effect. Who knows.

If they ask about blue blocker and really want it, I just put them in Crizal Prevencia or another ar w/ blue blocker, or if they are already adding Transitions to their lenses, I explain that it already blocks out most of the HEV light so it's redundant to add blue blocker. I don't really push blue-blocker as a separate lens option, but if a patient brings it up or complains about digital eye strain, I will mention it but with all the disclaimers I mentioned above.
    Krystle

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by juno View Post
    Not getting rich, but happy to accept a few extra bucks from folks who want to give me them
    Same here, however, if they ask me what I think about it, I gladly let them know that I don't believe in this nonsense.
    Erik Zuniga, ABOC.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by KrystleClear View Post
    If they ask about blue blocker and really want it, I just put them in Crizal Prevencia or another ar w/ blue blocker, or if they are already adding Transitions to their lenses, I explain that it already blocks out most of the HEV light so it's redundant to add blue blocker. I don't really push blue-blocker as a separate lens option, but if a patient brings it up or complains about digital eye strain, I will mention it but with all the disclaimers I mentioned above.
    Have you tried Crizal Sapphire with blue light filter? It looks many times better than Prevencia and they are getting a better quality AR coating. You can order it with VSP and Eyemed and if you have in-house finishing you can order it in stock lenses in poly.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by King of the Lab View Post
    Same here, however, if they ask me what I think about it, I gladly let them know that I don't believe in this nonsense.
    #same

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yes Definitely, it is a Scam even if it had been for real it will be far more expensive.

Thread Information