Thread: Old Marco 101 lensmeter marking pens

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Old Marco 101 lensmeter marking pens

I previously used a different lensmeter, but now I have changed locations and the lensmeter here is the old Marco 101 lensmeter.

im having issues with the marking pens. They don’t seem alligned properly and not holding ink nicely.

any tips at all are greatly appreciated!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Aligning the pins should be simple you will need a fixture to do it. Not holding ink can usually be fixed by adding a few drops of dawn to the ink.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    From what I've read on this forum, a lot of problems can be solved with Dawn... Shame we don't have it in the UK, although actually I think its the same as UK's Fairy liquid?
    Last edited by Loki; 01-26-2024 at 09:10 AM.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    A valuable tool is the Younger Gauge Master. Great for aligning axis and vertex depth of the reticle. I see them on eBay from time to time. Or take a lens of good power and spot the OC rotate the lens 90 spot again. If it doesn’t spot exactly on the other spot, then adjust the position until It’s perfect vertically and horizontally. For aligning the pins axis to the table axis clamp some straight edge and measure the distant dots height.

Chris

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Marker Alignment

[QUOTE=ChrisBowers;574733]A valuable tool is the Younger Gauge Master. Great for aligning axis and vertex depth of the reticle. I see them on eBay from time to time. Or take a lens of good power and spot the OC rotate the lens 90 spot again. If it doesn’t spot exactly on the other spot, then adjust the position until It’s perfect vertically and horizontally. For aligning the pins axis to the table axis clamp some straight edge and measure the distant dots height.

Sadly, Younger had not made the Gauge Master in years. To check the marker alignment on any instrument, center and mark a lens, revolve the lens 180º, center and mark the lens again. If you see three dots the marker is aligned, If you see three groups of dots then the difference between the pairs of dots is double the actual error. The Gauge Master has a lens scribed to check the marker alignment. Center the lens, mark the lens and see if the dots match the scribed lines on the lens. Maybe if enough people got after Younger, Younger might consider making more Gauge Masters.

Thread Information