Thread: Adjusting the frame laterally

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Adjusting the frame laterally

Hi,

Please can you advise on how to make this adjustment? The frame needs to be 'moved' to the left of the patient's face. The right nosepad is partly hanging off the nose and the left side of the frame is touching quite a bit before the ear, yet the frame is wide enough so that if it was centered, both sides could touch just before the ear as is ideal.

Much appreciated,
    Terrence

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Welcome to the lions den Terrence.

Before you can proceed you must pass the Elephant Skin Test (aka EST*).

Can you describe what a 4 point bench adjustment is and where did you first hear this term?

*This is meant in good humor so play along and we'll find the answer but frankly your question as written is hard to understand.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Briefly, it's adjusting so that the frames lie flat on a bench ( I am a trainee).

Then we need to adjust to the cutsomer's head.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Trainee? Who's doing the training? A book Systems for Ophthalmic Dispensing is available, and is the best text to learn, and has illustrations. Another example of valuable Apprenticeships! Let us know where you live, and we'll try to connect you with someone to help. Like learning guitar, there's plenty of air guitarists, but the sound is nothing.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Is this the same problem you had last September Terrance?

Based on your slang (chap?) are you really from the states?

A 4 am reply suggests otherwise.

Here's what seems like the same problem we addressed last year:

https://www.optiboard.com/forums/sho...415#post573415

This kimba is curious now as to who we are dealing with.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    Is this the same problem you had last September Terrance?

Based on your slang (chap?) are you really from the states?

A 4 am reply suggests otherwise.

Here's what seems like the same problem we addressed last year:

This kimba is curious now as to who we are dealing with.
    It's a different problem, I don't see a particular similarity. Now you promised you'd offer help after I answered your teaser,so I will hold you to that

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrence View Post
    Hi,

Please can you advise on how to make this adjustment?

The frame needs to be 'moved' to the left of the patient's face. So there is no nose pad contact on the left side?

The right nosepad is partly hanging off the nose How does a nose pad "hang off a nose"? Better description needed.

and the left side of the frame is touching quite a bit before the ear, You mean Temple?

yet the frame is wide enough so that if it was centered, both sides could touch just before the ear as is ideal. You're losing me with how the ear is involved.

Much appreciated,
    Terrence
    See above in blue.

AFK...

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    See above in blue.

AFK...
    Thanks, this is an exaggerated picture. The nose pad is mostly in contact, but not the bottom part of it. The ear is not involved. The only reason I mentioned it is that the left temple cannot properly get to the ear (i.e. without making contact with the face prior to that) purely because the frame is not centered. If the frame was moved to the left there would be a clear path from the hinge to the ear.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sketch2.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	18.8 KB 
ID:	15531
    Last edited by Terrence; 01-06-2024 at 04:55 AM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You sure keep odd hours Terrence!!!

Straighten the temple curves behind their ears so they are not close to anywhere but the top of the ears. Now is the time to be sure the frame is level to the orbit and brow line. Sometimes a little tip is purposely recommended for cosmetic purposes so I point this out and ask the patient which they prefer, purely level or not, for appearances.

Keep from offending them by saying symmetrical faces are rare. Sometimes I'll mention that this is why actors prefer to be staged or photographed from "My better side" because they spend so much time in front of mirrors they know which is their dominant side and looks better to an audience. Of course you did this initial adjustment first when measuring for the order, as well as being sure that -6.00 in a big frame has enough temple length or you're asking for trouble on dispensing. Measure OC or multifocal heights accordingly. But I digress...

When the glasses are off is there a visible indentation along the sides of the patients head? There shouldn't be. That's a poor frame choice and/or bad adjustment by a mctician.

You say the frame is large enough so the temples are not touching anywhere but on top of and behind there ear? They should not "splay" outward and there should be little or no pressure from the temples along the side of the head. It's a fallacy that glasses are held up by temple pressure unless you are dealing with these stupid oversized blocks of acrylic designers have snookered people into thinking look good (is my curmudgeonly self showing again?;). That said, some heads always need a little bow along the temple until they reach the ears. Create a bow until you can see there is no pressure anywhere.

At this point when gently lifting the frame each pad should rest flush with equal pressure on their nose. If a pad is not flush now is the time to adjust the pad arm.

Is one lens further from the eye than the other? The frame should be equal distance from the eye and brow line with equal pad pressure. If not- stop- adjust until both are accomplished. You should never try to do this with the temple bend behind the ears. If the left pad is still showing too much pressure tighten the right side slightly or further open up the left side or both. Nothing you do behind the ears will make the bridge fit better. In fact it will only complicate things and probably create the pickle you are dealing with now.

Once the pad pressure is equal- and only then- make the curve behind the ear as close as possible without being so tight it will cause a blister.

Your goal, when the patient puts on the glasses will be to have the temples show a minimal or no splay and the temple tips will naturally drop down behind their ears. If they say it feels like they're not wearing glasses- HUZZAH!!!

As a last resort if the temples are too short change to a large silicone pad and increase temple pressure- but this is really a problem that should be nipped in the bud when a patient picks a frame that does this. You should upfront explain to them the potential problem. Forewarned is forearmed.

Learning to make great frame adjustments can easily take 5 years of experience in my opinion and you'll find there are some pretty odd shaped heads out there. Wait til you fit a person who has had part of their skull removed just behind their ear! This was done to some many years ago for a medical condition I don't recall off the top of my head. Anyone recall what this was done for?

Gaining a reputation of delivering a great fitted frame are what will, more than anything, create a loyal following.

By Jove- My new motto: "Come to Uncle Fester and let me throw a fit on your face!!!"

PS- This really is post #4 by me here:

Last edited by Uncle Fester; 01-07-2024 at 08:30 PM. Reason: tweaks...

Thread Information