Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Make your optical a fashion experience!

Occupation
    Optometrist

Make your optical a fashion experience!

My New Year's resolution/strategic planning for future marginal profit improvements is to make my optical a fashion experience.

1. Optometry (for those who work in such an environment) is pretty dry, and getting drier. Heck, I'm a middle-aged plus white dude and I'm not exactly a fashion plate myself. New socks for Christmas and I'm good. Now, get off my lawn and I want to talk to you about vitamins for macular degeneration. Optometrists tend to want to be "real doctors", and will over-correct in that direction, unfortunately.

2. Boutique opticals are the wave of the future, I'm convinced. With all the McOpticals in the field (big box Cost-marts, strip mall America's Works, and of course the cyber-opticals) it's paramount to have a real, live optician (or a modern-day facsimile, more on that, later) in a real, live person-to-person interaction, in a real, live engaging environment. Think of that expensive spa where your wife used to get her hair done. Certainly in a stand-alone optical, but even within an optometry practice we need some spice.

3. While eye wear fashion has become tremendously more democratized since I've been doing this (1980's, yeah), meaning that you'd have to pay good money to not look like a dork, and now you don't, fashion is never going away. That's because (until you let yourself go, tsk-tsk) adorning your hot self is important to your image and identity.

(4. Hey, we're also in a tech field in a tech society. While the latest in tech isn't related to fashion, directly, it does appeal to those [cough, old/cold men, cough] that don't really care how they look. It's fashion for the ugly or disinterested. I'll set this aside for now.)

(5. And of course the customer service/relationship-building aspect is another key, but I digress.)

So, how do YOU make YOUR optical a wow-ing fashion experience?

Do you wear all black?
    Do you have chandeliers?
    Is your music upbeat?
    Is your lighting bright?
    Is your merchandising hot?
    Is your inventory fresh?
    Is your furniture trendy?

What do we need to do?
    Last edited by drk; 12-13-2023 at 02:15 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It’s only taken you 40 years to realize Optical IS fashion also? You’ll be most successful when you market their needs into their wants.

One clue; If you wanna look sharp, have something hip or modern looking to wear, would you take the advice of someone in their pajamas/and/or white coat, or someone dressed impeccably?

* And hush all you pajama wearers that say “I sell zillions of expensive glasses wearing my pj’s!”

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Some of the unique things we do (at least compared to local competition):

Ask their favorite artist/album on intake forms: We will change office music to what they like during the exam (as long as it isn't offensive). We use Sonos and Spotify in the office to do this.

We have a spa room that we use for pts to relax with a heated dry eye mask while they dilate. There is a google device in the room that they can use to listen to music during this time. This is included in our exam price.

We have in-office complimentary drinks (Stocked mini-fridge for cold drinks and Kurig K-Cups for hot drinks) and Lindor Truffles, and Mints

We have an Arcade 1-Up Infinity Game Table for kids (and adults) to play on in our waiting area

Everyone gets a Ferrero Rocher truffle at checkout

Kids get a toy prize from our Toy/Gumball machine after each exam. We have one of those large ones that came from a closed Old Navy.

At eyeglass dispense, pts can choose from a gift card for free cupcake or free ice cream cone from a couple of local businesses. Adults can choose a bottle of wine instead (cheap Aldi wine but still always appreciated).

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    The only thing that matters is having young attractive opticians. Nobody want's to buy glasses from a 55 year old man who smells like coffee and BO.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Ok, I'm in big trouble.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael22 View Post
    The only thing that matters is having young attractive opticians. Nobody want's to buy glasses from a 55 year old man who smells like coffee and BO.
    Just wow.

Occupation
    Optometrist

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Ok, guys, here's my plan unfolding:

1. Orange office chairs
    2. Accent wall

My optician wants:

1. Better brand showcasing. We are using plaques to identify the collections next to the (uniform, functional, and low-maintenance frame boards), and we are going to showcase four or so "brand stories" in the glass-shelved end units that allow for creativity.

2. At least a couple larger banners.

My question to you-uns: What kind of music should a high-fashion optical be playing? I'm currently doing "smooth jazz". Is that too sleepy for the younger generations?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We don't even have music - apparently it's not clinical enough.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    Is your music upbeat?
    Classical and Gypsy Jazz with a red wine chaser.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael22 View Post
    With ceiling tiles stained yellow from cigarette/cigar smoke and vodka breath. I worked with an optician in that setting, an ex AO muckety-muck. We got along just fine.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    for the record i wasn't referring to drk with that comment, but actually somebody i use to work with who was disgusting to be around

Occupation
    Optometrist
    It hit close to home. I'm traumatized.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    It hit close to home. I'm traumatized.
    I feel like that hit close to home for 90% of optiboard users

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I only sell zillions of expensive(fine eyewear) and you'd be lucky to catch me in PJ's. I prefer a smoking jacket worn in the Scottish manner with a cup of Joe and George. If you don't like my bourbon breath, or how I stir my coffee(look up my kilt) and find my strong BO offensive. I'll turn down the fluorescent light fixtures and sick my frame stylist on you.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

Occupation
    Optometrist
    (^^Drunk again)

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This thread took a turn

<---- (Smells underarms), on the plus side I don't drink coffee.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    DRK, What kind of an experience is it in your office now?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    It’s only taken you 40 years to realize Optical IS fashion also? You’ll be most successful when you market their needs into their wants.

One clue; If you wanna look sharp, have something hip or modern looking to wear, would you take the advice of someone in their pajamas/and/or white coat, or someone dressed impeccably?

* And hush all you pajama wearers that say “I sell zillions of expensive glasses wearing my pj’s!”
    Since I have been at my current practice, I have 3 years of sales before covid where we were in dress shirts and ties, and now 3 years after covid in "pj's". There is no noticeable correlation in the brands sold before and after, we've largely kept the same designer brands and have had similar sales of the frames before and after. There is also no noticeable correlation in the total sales dollars in the optical. Our customer service ratings have improved on review sites since I have started here. (I am not saying I am great, it is more that the practice had a revolving door of staff and we have had a lot of stability since I joined)

I'm not sure what other metric you would recommend to look at?

Occupation
    Optometrist
    It's OK. I'm old, my optician's old. We're friendly, nice, and helpful. We have current, popular stuff. The environment is clean and up to date. It's not bad at all. Just typical.

I'm just looking for the next level, if it's possible in optical. Actual excitement and wow.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sir, I don't believe I have met you, but I'd like to offer a bit of advice! From my limited time on Optiboard, I notice few others who contribute more or better. I've spent my life and career trying to help improve people and organizations, and one thing I found that's important. When the corporate folks moved in many attempted to be like teem! They failed miserably! When Mr. Butler opened the Evil Empire, we all went out, expanded space, and put in labs! IF we don't, we'll go broke! Soft lenses came around in the early 70s, and we knew we were going under then!

Enough history, my point is that I was most successful when I kept one thing at the forefront, I got to be me, and you got to be you! The group used to do song in our floor show, and the words went like this:

Whether I'm right or whether I'm wrong
    Whether I find a place in this world or never belong
    What else can I be but what I am.

I'll go it alone, that's how it must be
    I can't be right for somebody else
    If I'm not right for me
    Daring to try, to do it or die
    I've got to be me!

it appears to me you've done it well. You come here and support and contribute. I bet you do the same in your community. Patients always came to me because of me., and the same is true for you! Play the music you like, and paint the walls any way you wish, just take care of patients, and be the best version of you that you can!
    I hope you have a fabulous Christmas season, and that 2024 is your best ever!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    drk,
    We went through a update a few years ago. The following are a few points.
    1) how long do you plan on being around for (business)
    2) design ethos(personal character aesthetic) let the design fit your business philosophy
    3) budget
    4) fresh coat of paint
    5) lighting LEDS
    6) flooring

7) displays (estate sales Craig's list) great value grandmas matching china cabinets and curios cases
    8) update existing displays(paint) we had the old thick plastic frame boards and made wooden picture to go around ours
    9) I don't sell plagued brands so I take picture frames and put POP images and photos of the handmade process inside the frames. It helps tell the story.
    10) Patient and client comments can be helpful
    11) Check out the cosmetic department You want to observe placement techniques, no one does it better.
    How back to my politically incorrect Harry Belafonte Christmas music and coffee with rye.
    Last edited by Paul Smith LDO; 12-21-2023 at 04:37 PM. Reason: more options
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

Occupation
    Optometrist
    You are very kind and encouraging, Mr. McDonald. Thank you.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I'm very impressed, Paul, that you have noticed what I always have: the killer cosmetics displays/aestheticians in the malls. Tough to emulate, but that would be a great model.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    May I suggest that all new arrivals are to be displayed and spot lit.

Try to(some generations are me-centric)create a service that is very personalized, and tailored to the individual's needs.

Involve the family... you are helping all by helping a member see, and see well.

All else is just eye candy, and have plenty of that.......we are a visual industry!
    Eyes wide open

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm very impressed, Paul, that you have noticed what I always have: the killer cosmetics displays/aestheticians in the malls. Tough to emulate, but that would be a great model.
    Yes, well in the end you can slap lip stick on a Scott's man but I'm still a pig.

Thread Information