Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Make your optical a fashion experience!

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Here's some good information on music:

https://cloudcovermusic.com/music-ps...ustomer%20base.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I like to dress fashionably, myself. Not just because I love clothes and fashion, but I want the people coming into my optical shop to see me and think, "Wow! I want HER to help me pick out frames!" And I also like to choose visually interesting frames for myself. I also would like to step up my game though. In all my books and courses that I have taken to advance my knowledge, there really aren't a lot of resources for opticians to learn how to style people beyond the technical aspects (proper fit and appropriateness of the frame for the patient's script and needs). Like, I wanna know more than just "square faces look good in round frames." I want to know about color theory - like what colors suit what complexions/skin tones. That's an area I struggle with. I don't always know whether a color will suit someone until I see it on their face. I would really love to take one of those 1980s color theory courses where you learn how to determine whether someone is a "cool winter" or "warm autumn" or whatever.
    Krystle

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Then there's this (they're all my patients, too):

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by KrystleClear View Post
    I like to dress fashionably, myself. Not just because I love clothes and fashion, but I want the people coming into my optical shop to see me and think, "Wow! I want HER to help me pick out frames!" And I also like to choose visually interesting frames for myself. I also would like to step up my game though. In all my books and courses that I have taken to advance my knowledge, there really aren't a lot of resources for opticians to learn how to style people beyond the technical aspects (proper fit and appropriateness of the frame for the patient's script and needs). Like, I wanna know more than just "square faces look good in round frames." I want to know about color theory - like what colors suit what complexions/skin tones. That's an area I struggle with. I don't always know whether a color will suit someone until I see it on their face. I would really love to take one of those 1980s color theory courses where you learn how to determine whether someone is a "cool winter" or "warm autumn" or whatever.
    Try the book: Color Me Beautiful, by Carole Jackson. It is from the 80's and will tell you about all you need to know about color.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by KrystleClear View Post
    …I also would like to step up my game though. In all my books and courses that I have taken to advance my knowledge, there really aren't a lot of resources for opticians to learn how to style people beyond the technical aspects (proper fit and appropriateness of the frame for the patient's script and needs). Like, I wanna know more than just "square faces look good in round frames." I want to know about color theory - like what colors suit what complexions/skin tones. That's an area I struggle with. I don't always know whether a color will suit someone until I see it on their face. I would really love to take one of those 1980s color theory courses where you learn how to determine whether someone is a "cool winter" or "warm autumn" or whatever.
    I am working on several new CEs to address just this area!

Barry

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by CME4SPECS View Post
    Try the book: Color Me Beautiful, by Carole Jackson. It is from the 80's and will tell you about all you need to know about color.
    Ah, yes. Are you a winter or a summer complexion? Wasn't it Liberty that was big into that? All the frames came in four colors for the four seasons and there were scarves to drape over the shoulder to determine the appropriate season. Get that sales rep and a Tura rep that had to model each frame on the same day, and it was time for cocktail hour at 10AM.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by waynegilpin View Post
    Ah, yes. Are you a winter or a summer complexion? Wasn't it Liberty that was big into that? All the frames came in four colors for the four seasons and there were scarves to drape over the shoulder to determine the appropriate season.
    I still have the scarves! Used them in the display cases.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    Then there's this (they're all my patients, too):

I thought you were married to Jennifer until Angie came along...

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Just a note of interest...Lisa Kudrow was born on the exact same day as me. I wish she was my Friend.

Thread Information