Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Silhouette Repair Kits

  1. #1
    OptiBoard Apprentice
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Location
    Westerville Ohio
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    11

    Confused Silhouette Repair Kits

    I work in a corporate office that was originally private practice before it was sold. Not a manager, just a lowly worker bee, whose manager is way too busy to invest a lot of time to solve this issue. Corporate has sent us silhouette drill mounts but say they're unable to provide the silhouette brand name repair kits. I'm unable to talk to a live person, or anyone for that matter, because of all the red tape and we don't do our own ordering so I'm unable to get an account number for silhouette. The "repair kit" sold as a replacement is pitiful, we have one already, and I was wondering if anyone knew of a place online that sells the brand name kits? I've tried contacting silhouette directly and they can't give me my account number but they gave me the rep email address for my area. I emailed the rep, about 2 weeks ago, explaining the situation, but she hasn't responded and I don't think she will at this point since we don't make the decisions about what styles we carry any more. Can anyone point me to where I need to look or even sell me a kit at this point??? Kind of desperate here and very frustrated......grrrrrr. Thanks everyone for any help or direction you could provide!!!!

  2. #2
    OptiBoardaholic
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    247
    Have you tried asking an optical establishment that has a Silhouette acct to order one for you? That might be the only way to get a Silhouette branded kit.

    What about this one? https://opticalproductsonline.com/pr...ette-tool-kit/

  3. #3
    Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    At a position without dimension...
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    5,284
    Try the rep one more time. Mention it is to their advantage not to have bad reviews of their product in a not so subtle hint to help. A $30 Starbucks pre paid gift card as a bribe might also work;)

    Do you have the PLS-40 and PLS-58 bushings in stock? You'll need them as well.

  4. #4
    OptiBoard Apprentice
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Location
    Westerville Ohio
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    11
    thats the one we have and it's not good at all. thank you for looking though :)

  5. #5
    OptiBoard Apprentice
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Location
    Westerville Ohio
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    11
    That's a fantastic idea, i'll reach out one more time. Thank you!!

  6. #6
    Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    At a position without dimension...
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    5,284
    This is from Hilco. Not sure if one head pivots like a Silhouette though and if it doesn't you don't want it. There are others on line if you search "Compression Pliers". Hilco will create an account if you are an optician I'm told.

    Anyone have one for a review?

    https://www.hilcovision.com/f/ergopro-rimless-kit

  7. #7
    Master OptiBoarder
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    usa
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    987
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    This is from Hilco. Not sure if one head pivots like a Silhouette though and if it doesn't you don't want it. There are others on line if you search "Compression Pliers". Hilco will create an account if you are an optician I'm told.

    Anyone have one for a review?

    https://www.hilcovision.com/f/ergopro-rimless-kit
    $400!!!

    I've never put together a compression mount frame with anything other than sharp nail clippers and compression pliers. What am I missing out on?

  8. #8
    Master OptiBoarder
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Earth
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    525
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwill212 View Post
    $400!!!

    I've never put together a compression mount frame with anything other than sharp nail clippers and compression pliers. What am I missing out on?
    The kit is really nice, especially for people that are new to working with compression mount frames. There's a tool that is like a cigar cutter and it makes it almost impossible to scratch the lens while clipping the ends off. But the kit is WAY overpriced at $400. If they give it to you for free, cool. If not... I wouldn't move mountains to get it.

    The kit:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image0 (29).jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	51.8 KB 
ID:	15516

    The tool that makes it really tough to scratch lenses when clipping off the ends
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image1 (23).jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	38.0 KB 
ID:	15517

    A tool that makes taking apart easier
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image2 (4).jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	28.2 KB 
ID:	15518
    Last edited by NAICITPO; 12-09-2023 at 02:04 PM.

  9. #9
    OptiBoardaholic
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    space
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    260
    Let me just say, you are in for a wild ride. I was the manager with a company like yours. We sold silhouette and it was a nightmare. I've been working with them for years and it was impossible for me to make them come out right at this place. They were edged and drilled offsite. Holes were too large. lenses off axis. bushings were way too long. Some times all three things at once. I was the manager and even I was unable to get decent tools or bushings. Not to mention these frames break all the time.

  10. #10
    Master OptiBoarder
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Earth
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    525
    Quote Originally Posted by Prentice Pro 9000 View Post
    Let me just say, you are in for a wild ride. I was the manager with a company like yours. We sold silhouette and it was a nightmare. I've been working with them for years and it was impossible for me to make them come out right at this place. They were edged and drilled offsite. Holes were too large. lenses off axis. bushings were way too long. Some times all three things at once. I was the manager and even I was unable to get decent tools or bushings. Not to mention these frames break all the time.
    I have not had this same experience in private practice. If I ask for lenses only the come with bushings in them already clipped and ready to go. But if you are in a big chain/corporate overlord and corporate lab... GOOD LUCK.

    The only pushback I would have is I don't think compression frames brake all the time. At least that isn't my experience after selling a significant number of them over the last 5 years. If they are made correctly they really should not break "all the time".

  11. #11
    Master OptiBoarder
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    north of 49
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    3,002
    Quote Originally Posted by Crystalpluto View Post
    I work in a corporate office that was originally private practice before it was sold. Not a manager, just a lowly worker bee, whose manager is way too busy to invest a lot of time to solve this issue. Corporate has sent us silhouette drill mounts but say they're unable to provide the silhouette brand name repair kits. I'm unable to talk to a live person, or anyone for that matter, because of all the red tape and we don't do our own ordering so I'm unable to get an account number for silhouette. The "repair kit" sold as a replacement is pitiful, we have one already, and I was wondering if anyone knew of a place online that sells the brand name kits? I've tried contacting silhouette directly and they can't give me my account number but they gave me the rep email address for my area. I emailed the rep, about 2 weeks ago, explaining the situation, but she hasn't responded and I don't think she will at this point since we don't make the decisions about what styles we carry any more. Can anyone point me to where I need to look or even sell me a kit at this point??? Kind of desperate here and very frustrated......grrrrrr. Thanks everyone for any help or direction you could provide!!!!
    ... your corporate should not be handling Silhouette frames.

    Logic 1.0 Frames do not break spontaneously...people break frames. If thy broke all by themselves there would be shrines devoted to them.
    Logic 2.0 Holes drilled too big and fittings not correctly trimmed contribute to frame part demise. Lab fault...redo or send elsewhere.
    Logic 3.0 Do not give a titanium rimless to a skier without also dispensing a pair of tough sunglasses like Bolle nylon.
    Eyes wide open

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Has Boston discontinued their RGP trial kits?
    By Uilleann in forum General Optics and Eyecare Discussion Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-30-2017, 08:27 AM
  2. who other then silhouette sells silhouette nosepads?
    By braheem24 in forum General Optics and Eyecare Discussion Forum
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 10-08-2015, 03:25 PM
  3. Silhouette 7534 repair help pls
    By specs4you in forum General Optics and Eyecare Discussion Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-02-2010, 12:11 PM
  4. RGP trial kits
    By ecymosis in forum General Optics and Eyecare Discussion Forum
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 01-23-2007, 01:29 AM
  5. Contact Lens Care Kits
    By Specs in forum General Optics and Eyecare Discussion Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-22-2006, 10:40 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •