Thread: Newbie with a question

Smilie Newbie with a question

Hi,

Maybe this is the right place to ask.

I wear quite strong glasses and would like to get some sunglasses as well.

What I am thinking of is mirrorreflected lenses in my RX.

If you know what I mean, lenses that reflect more or less everything, so that people can't see my eyes at all when they look at me.

Does something like that excist for lenses with an RX??

Ifit doesn't excist, is it then possible to get an RX in the type of sunglasses that like curve around your face??

I would appreciate any help:bbg:

Thanks!!

:)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Re: Newbie with a question

Minusboy said:
    Hi,

Maybe this is the right place to ask.

I wear quite strong glasses and would like to get some sunglasses as well.

What I am thinking of is mirrorreflected lenses in my RX.

If you know what I mean, lenses that reflect more or less everything, so that people can't see my eyes at all when they look at me.

Does something like that excist for lenses with an RX??

Ifit doesn't excist, is it then possible to get an RX in the type of sunglasses that like curve around your face??

I would appreciate any help:bbg:

Thanks!!

:)
    Minusboy,

Not only are they available in Rx but in many colors. Just let this group know where you are and we will direct you.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Thanks Diane,

I am in Denmark. The only ones I have found here are ones that look like regular sunglasses, tinted in different colors like blue, gold, green, silver etc.

But I want some that are tintet totally so it is exactly like looking into a mirror when you look at me.:)

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    You'll need to find an Optician who can send your lenses to be mirror-coated. There are several coating labs in the U.S. that do mirror coatings. Ask your Optician/Optometrist about this option in your country.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Hey Steve, regarding your last post to this thread. I think I know what he's looking for as I dig through boxes of donated glasses on a daily basis. The "full-out" mirror. I don't run into these at all in regular business. Today, it seems like companies are producing that whole "flash mirror" look. It makes sense because a lot of people that lived through the 70's and 80's want nothing to do with mirrors.
    I find that even the ray-ban aviator mirrors in silver and gold come nowhere near some of the glasses I've seen in the recylcing boxes.
    In your opinion(or anyone elses for that matter) is the shift to more subtle mirrored looks a question solely of fashion aesthetics or a result of increasing optical integreity?
    I've learned on this board that the process is called "half silvering" but were these older more mirrored looks something like 3 quarter silvering?
    Just interested in the processess and reasons.

Occupation
    I think the change is mostly for cosmetic reasons.

When I was the Thin Film R&D Manager for Sola I made a number of mirror coatings for the now-defunct Matrix lens system. I could make just about any color you wanted with just a two layer thin-film coating. I still have a few of these sitting in my now unused briefcase.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Steve, I read about that on the "now unused briefcase" website.

ed "still have nothing as cool to say as Trail" KENdance

Re:the matrix. If we're talking about the same sandwich machine. It sounds like a lot of fun. The guys at work that have been around for a few years say they would watch the air bubbles travel to the edge of the lens in a "c'mon! c'mon!" kind of way.
    Apparently we were told to just toss ours out.

Occupation
    Yep, that's the same Matrix system. It was actually very innovative and was capable of producing high quality lenses. The problem was that the whole business strategy was flawed from the beginning. Most of us working on the project knew it, but the people making the decisions thought otherwise.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have a feeling that the Matrix system wasn't tossed aside. I think that may be what they are using to make the FSV DuPont Teflon lenses.

Teflon AR comes in the same packaging as the old wafers just different labels. There are two bar codes on the package, I figured one was the OPC for the front wafer and one for the back wafer. When you open the foil pack, you get a strong wiff of what smells like the adhesive we used to use to adhere them together.

The only difference is the center thickness on minuses. The old matrix lenses could sometimes end up as thick as safety lenses pushing 2.8 and 3.0 at the thinnest point. The Teflon lenses are much thinner.

So far, we haven't had any problems but I remember the old Matrix lenses sometimes delaminated; I have my fingers crossed that delamination is also a problem of the past.

Bad address email on file Susan Henault's Avatar
    Minusboy -- you said that you have a high prescription and based on your use of the handle "Minusboy", I assume you have a high minus prescription. One of your questions was, if you could not find a supplier of the highly reflective mirror coated sun lenses, could you get a pair that wrapped or curved around your face.

If indeed your prescription is minus, it depends on just how high your prescription is. Some people think that -4.00 is really high, when in fact it is not. From an industry perspective, -8.00 is up there. Regardless, without knowing what your prescription is, or exactly how much wrap you have in mind, it is hard to say for certain whether it can be done.

The natural curve of wrap frames is in stark contrast to the natural curve of a high minus lens. Really high minus lenses are generally flat on the front, and in some extreme cases, actually curved "in" to the front. If this is you, a knowledgable optician will tell you that a wrap frame is out of the question. That said, there are companies that make more steeply curved lenses JUST for this purpose, but there are still limitations.

If I am off the mark and you have a plus prescription instead, then a wrap frame just might work -- again, it all depends on the actual RX and the frame you have in mind. I hope this helps and I hope you find exactly what you are looking for in Denmark!

Thanks for the replies.

The mirror effect is just like a real mirror. That's what I am looking for. I guess you could almost call it one-way lenses *lol*

Susan,
    My prescription is minus
    OD -6.25 x-0.50
    OS -6.50 x-1.00

The wrap I have in mind is something like the lense wrap around the side of the head and stop like beside the eye. Exactly like this.. http://www.eyesave.com/images/products/3783.jpg

So far I haven't had any luck finding anything here, and the price scare me a bit as well.

My glasses now are these http://www.sitecenter.dk/brianfrands...iller%2004.jpg Lindberg Air Strip Titanium. With lenses they cost me $843.68 US a little over 1½ year ago.

So I gerring mirror reflected glasses, or glasses with curved lenses is something extremely rare, than I am afraid it could get too pricey as well:(

Brian

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    If you get 'em you have to promise to post a pic.
    Ever consider contacts?

Okay I promise to post some pics:)

Contacts doesn't work for me. I have tried like 5 different ones, and none of them lasted.
    So I stick solely to glasses.

I also think glasses gives people kind of a different and more interesting personality.

But maybe that's just me *lol*

Brian

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Hello Minusboy,

As a former myope myself (-4.75), I have just one word (actually, an anacronym) for you- LASIK!

One of the major benefits I've experienced after having the procedure is the ability to wear any style of sunglass I desire.

Since refractive surgery isn't for everyone, however, about the only thing I can suggest is finding a pair of sunwear that look like the ones in your link that come equipped with an Rx-able clip that inserts behind the wrap. At your Rx, I sincerely doubt you will have much success with having your lenses ground on a steep enough base curve to accomodate most traditional wrap frames.

Most major sunglass manufacturers have frames with Rx-able inserts (Nike and Bolle are some that I've owned). To be honest, however, there are limitations inherent to this arrangement. Basically, you have four lens surfaces to deal with, which not only creates challenges regarding reflections and optics- but are also difficult to keep clean.

The mirror you are referring to sounds like a Nickel mirror that used to be real big in the 70's and 80's. It is a different mirror than is used in most applications today. Personally, I like a duo-colored mirror. My mirrors have a red reflection when viewed from the front- but the reflection changes to yellow at other angles.

Good luck on your quest from someone who remembers all too well the misery of looking at all kinds of radical cool wrap frames- only to know I was never going to be able to wear them (I had extremely limited success with contact lenses myself).
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Thanks Pete,

A professor released a report here in DK not too long ago where he warned about lasik.

I thought it sounded too scary for me to want to try it. I know many people talk positive about it, but I have also seen those where it has gone wrong.

But I will definitely look into your options, although I already have the problem with the 4 surfaces as there are clip-on's for my glasses. It can be really annoying *LOL*

Brian

Thread Information