Thread: Polarized sheets

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Polarized sheets

Anybody ever source their own polarized sheets for their own production?
    Not sure where to look-

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You have lens molding equipment at your location? I’m impressed if you are a dr/dispensing location!

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    No-I'm trying to find a better solution for night driving. Yellow polarized isn't the best solution,
    When those on Optiboard say patients just have to get used to night glare driving, I say game on. That's a product I want to make.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    No polarizer will help with night vision that I know about in addition any tint added to the lens will only make things worse. What does help somewhat is a light that will reduce pupil size. There was a product out of Germany made for that purpose don’t know the name or if it is still available.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    At a stoplight at night, I'd ask you to try a cheap yellow clip on from CVS against a yellow polarized lens and you'll appreciate the nighttime glare cut by the polarized lens. I'm 61 with cataracts.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by kittyeyes View Post
    At a stoplight at night, I'd ask you to try a cheap yellow clip on from CVS against a yellow polarized lens and you'll appreciate the nighttime glare cut by the polarized lens. I'm 61 with cataracts.
    "Tinted Lenses and Night Driving
    A commonly occurring situation that demonstrates the hazards of too much tint for existing conditions is night driving. At night with eyes adapted to a light intensity of 0.1 mL through a clear glass windshield, the visual acuity of an individual who normally sees 20/20 will be reduced to 20/32. This is not due to the windshield itself but it is simply a result of reduced illumination. Any tinted material between the observer's eye and the object being viewed will further reduce acuity. 13

It should be obvious that a lens tinted only slightly more than the lightest available shade quickly becomes a potential hazard under circumstances such as night driving, which may otherwise be considered normal.

Another factor in the determination of the amount of tint is age. As age increases, performance differences observed while wearing certain optical filters decreases. In other words, a person's ability to work effectively under a situation of reduced illumination decreases as he or she ages.

In spite of evidence to the contrary, some wearers insist that a light tint at night is helpful in reducing the glare of oncoming headlights. This is likely due to the ability of a tint to reduce some internal lens reflections and some resulting headlight flare. An AR coating is better at reducing internal lens reflections. Rather than using tinted lenses, an AR coating will reduce oncoming headlight annoyance and will increase the wearer's contrast sensitivity by increasing available light."

Brooks, Clifford W. “22: Absorbative Lenses.” System for Ophthalmic Dispensing , 4th ed., Elsevier, St Louis, Mo, 2024, pp. 438–438.

ALSO

"​Importance: Some marketing materials for yellow-lens night-driving glasses claim that they increase nighttime road visibility and reduce oncoming headlight glare (HLG). However, there is no scientific evidence to support these claims."

"
    Conclusions and relevance:
    Using a driver simulator equipped with an HLG simulator, yellow-lens night-driving glasses did not appear to improve pedestrian detection at night or reduce the negative effects of HLG on pedestrian detection performance. These findings do not appear to support having eye care professionals advise patients to use yellow-lens night-driving glasses."

Hwang AD, Tuccar-Burak M., Peli E. Comparison of pedestrian detection with and without yellow-lens glasses during simulated night driving with and without headlight glare. JAMA Ophthalmol. 2019;137(10) In this issue. PMID: 31369054

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    ^^What Kwill posted.

When asked by patients about “night time lenses” or yellow, I would tell them, sure it will reduce the glare off lights at night, but you may not see that dog or kid on the side of the road because of “reduced acuity “.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    A 10% tint will reduce VA at night an equal amount. There is NO tint for nighttime use, especially driving. Old school, first year.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Lensman11 View Post
    No polarizer will help with night vision that I know about in addition any tint added to the lens will only make things worse. What does help somewhat is a light that will reduce pupil size. There was a product out of Germany made for that purpose don’t know the name or if it is still available.
    How did it work?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Never actually saw it just read about it in Optical World magazine about 10 years ago if any one has a back issue it would help.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    WINDEX® for a clear windshield. Your car's plastics gives off fumes that accumulate on glass surfaces. Also clean your glasses.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Adding to the above debunking of tints for night driving:

A fully polarized lens can have no more than 50% transmittance due to half of the light absorbed by the Polaroid filter. Increasing the transmittance decreases the polarization efficiency, substantially if increased to levels used for night driving.

Hope this helps,

Robert Martellaro
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Thread Information