Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Antiglare?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Best Antiglare?

I was wondering what most opticians are using at the moment? I have been recommending mostly Sapphire HR and Shamir Glacier Expressions because of costumer feedback i have received. Is there better antiglares on the market at the moment?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Exactly what kind of feedback have you received from your customers. What criteria do you think is important for good results. My experience has been that patients only look for two features cleanabilty and that the coating will stay intact i.e. no scratching peeling or crazing

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by 0pticianMagician View Post
    I was wondering what most opticians are using at the moment? I have been recommending mostly Sapphire HR and Shamir Glacier Expressions because of costumer feedback i have received. Is there better antiglares on the market at the moment?
    I find that Sapphire smudges too easily. I prefer Rock and Ex3.

I also think (but don't know for sure. Somebody please verify) that the quality of AR can vary wildly depending on which lab is applying it.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Based off feedback I've gotten, and what I've read Crizal is the best. You have Sapphire, Rock, and Prevencia which fill 3 different needs. Do you want the best clarity? Go with sapphire. If you want the best scratch protection go with Rock. If you want the best protection (blue light) get Prevencia.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael22 View Post
    Based off feedback I've gotten, and what I've read Crizal is the best. You have Sapphire, Rock, and Prevencia which fill 3 different needs. Do you want the best clarity? Go with sapphire. If you want the best scratch protection go with Rock. If you want the best protection (blue light) get Prevencia.
    The whole thread is worth a read but check out post #38 by Lensmanmd if it is too long for you:

http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...Weather-and-AR

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael22 View Post
    Sapphire now has the same top coating as Rock, so Rock is essentially obsolete in favor of Sapphire's increased transparency with the same durability.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    Sapphire now has the same top coating as Rock, so Rock is essentially obsolete in favor of Sapphire's increased transparency with the same durability.
    Oh wow I didn't hear about that, that's really nice! Sapphire is such an easy go to then for top tier AR imo. We do Shamir lens tech with Crizal AR's.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    The whole thread is worth a read but check out post #38 by Lensmanmd if it is too long for you:

http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...Weather-and-AR
    Will definitely check out

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Note "Sapphire UV" is still available but is the same as it always was, definitely not as durable as the rest of the Crizal line. "Sapphire HR" Is the new version, and it is glorious. Slick and super easy to clean, looks gorgeous, I've been doing it about a year and have no issues with durability (had plenty issues with Sapphire UV). In my book truly the best AR of all. And expensive. But whadayagonnado?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    Yep, I'm not really sure why they have Rock at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by DanLiv View Post
    Note "Sapphire UV" is still available but is the same as it always was, definitely not as durable as the rest of the Crizal line. "Sapphire HR" Is the new version, and it is glorious. Slick and super easy to clean, looks gorgeous, I've been doing it about a year and have no issues with durability (had plenty issues with Sapphire UV). In my book truly the best AR of all. And expensive. But whadayagonnado?
    It does look gorgeous and definitely have had way less scratch issues with it than Sapphire 360 UV.

You can also do Sapphire HR with a blue light filter which still looks 100x better than Prevencia. I'm not saying I recommend it Uilleann LOL but if someone insists on blue light...

Remember kids--just say no to Prevencia.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Agree 100% on Prevencia. Cosmetically looks awful IMO, might as well wear it on a pair of military BCGs to get the full effect.

I always order a material matrix blue filter instead of AR blue filter, far cosmetically superior

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My patients dislike the Prevencia in particular, specifically when on a Zoom Meeting or facetime. They also complain about the scratch resistance on the Prevencia coating. Iv'e had most patients satisfied with the Sapphire coating. I agree with what most patients look for , cleanability and scratch resistance. however, I do prefer the aesthetic clarity that the Shamir Glacier offers.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    i agree, however it looks like they have combined the Crizal Rock with the Sapphire and now they call it Sapphire HR.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have to look into the EX3 thanks for the suggestion.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Agreed , whadayagonnado?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have to look into the EX3 thanks for the suggestion.
    They have EX4 now

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I was wondering what most opticians are using at the moment? I have been recommending mostly Sapphire HR and Shamir Glacier Expressions because of costumer feedback i have best weed seeds amazon received. Is there better antiglares on the market at the moment?
    In my experience, Sapphire tends to smudge too easily. I have a preference for Rock and Ex3 instead.
    Regarding Anti-Reflective (AR) coatings, I believe, though I'm not certain, that their quality can vary significantly based on the lab applying them. It would be helpful if someone could confirm this.
    Last edited by Rachael72; 02-15-2024 at 06:32 AM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    The quality of the coating can absolutely be affected by the application. Errors can happen in any process but the lenses should not be sent out to the customer. In addition if is a licensed process there should be an audit done on a regular basis to insure consistency. The same goes for free form progressives there should be an audit process in place to insure quality.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Rachael72 View Post
    In my experience, Sapphire tends to smudge too easily. I have a preference for Rock and Ex3 instead.
    Regarding Anti-Reflective (AR) coatings, I believe, though I'm not certain, that their quality can vary significantly based on the lab applying them. It would be helpful if someone could confirm this.
    I might have agreed with this on the Sapphire UV 360, but the new Sapphire HR this does not seem to be the case. The HR has similar hard coats that Rock has but with a better product overall.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm curious about the Sapphire HR. Over here, we have to stick with the labs own coatings. I.e: Essilor only with Essilor, Zeiss with Zeiss, Shamir with Shamir etc.
    We mainly use Zeiss and the Duravision Platinum is quite good. How does the Sapphire HR compare to it? The last place i worked at that used Essilor, Alize was the premium coating back then.

The only complaint i have with Zeiss DVPMC is it is not as "slick and slippery" as some other brands coatings i've seen in the past. But the scratch resistance is quite good.
    The Glacier Expression from Shamir looked almost identical to the Zeiss DVPMC, after inspecting a recent order we did.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Apar83 View Post
    I'm curious about the Sapphire HR.
    It's the best AR coating I've ever used by a mile, in every way an AR coating can be judged.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Y'know, we all see a ton of people everyday with glasses they've purcahsed elsewhere. They're either in for exams or in to purchase new glasses. In 20+ years I can't remember a single occasion in which I've been impressed with a coating that's been worn by anybody for a couple of years. Should I expect that to change in the next couple of years?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by edKENdance View Post
    Y'know, we all see a ton of people everyday with glasses they've purcahsed elsewhere. They're either in for exams or in to purchase new glasses. In 20+ years I can't remember a single occasion in which I've been impressed with a coating that's been worn by anybody for a couple of years. Should I expect that to change in the next couple of years?
    No, because if they didn't buy them from you they're probably wearing crap. But you'll fix that!

It's pretty rare for my new customers to be coming from other comparable offices. There's the occasional transplant who needs a new provider and their old one was good, and their eyewear is good, but it's rare. Just about every new customer is transitioning from retail, either because of multiple poor experiences, or more typically they got a new job that offers VSP. And all their eyewear is crap. And it's not getting better, all the improvements are in the high end coatings. And I am SURE to point it out to them. "See all those ripples that are blurring your vision, and those spots wear the coating seem to be coming off? That's a poor quality finish on the lenses, which has deteriorated through no fault of yours. Mine won't do that."

Occupation
    Optometrist
    <Reading the DanLiv tea leaves>

"Finish" eh? Does that mean, could it mean, is it possible that...

...you simply package AR on everything? It's a "finish" on high-end lenses?

Not an optional "add on" coating????

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thats what we do. All packages include AR. Don't want AR? No problem, but the cost is the same.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Indeed, AR EVERYTHING, and all prices are inclusive of it.

I don't have AR coatings, my lenses are anti-reflective. The intense process we use permanently bonds all lens layers, and one will not get typical crazing, flaking, and delamination of coatings that do not use this process.

Thread Information