Thread: "You're friend" is back..

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

"You're friend" is back..

Hey guys! New here and having a problem taking care of a patient.

I have a patient, maybe 65-70, that wears rimless glasses and comes in 3+ times a week for adjustments. She will only work with me and I am at a loss for words at this point. It isn't a frame durability issue as the frame is almost always tight structurally. She says they are either too tight or too loose. I have done all the things, up to and including shortening the temples.

It doesn't seem to be a social issue, as the patient is genuinely concerned with the glasses.
    She has also informed me that she has had this problem in the past and her last optician essentially told her there was nothing more they could do for her.

Aside from that likely inevitable end result, has anyone else run into this kind of thing and had a more positive outcome?

Thanks for your time!

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Bench resting is your friend. Take them down the back and have a biscuit for five mins. Come back and tell her you changed something.
    If you're sure there's nothing wrong with them then you don't want to change things and create an actual problem.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Tell her as nicely as possible that you feel at this point she needs to have you make a second pair of glasses. Choose the frame based on her comfort perception when she puts them on with no (preferred) or the barest minimum adjustment. Edge a pair of basic sv poly distance into them at a nominal charge.*

If they are metal frames consider switching to plastic or vice versus using the lightest and smallest frame possible.

If this fails as well, the problem is not behind her ears but between them.

Then explain that you have reached the limit if your skills and she needs to find another optician. Chances are however, she will see the problem is psychological. Be prepared as sometimes they'll cry.

As you empathize with her suggest she consider learning Transcendental mediation through Mindfulness.

If she cannot find any classes nearby, suggest this book from my retired friend now living downunder and former regular Optiboarder Andrew Weiss He taught this as a 10 week adult ed. course and at his lovely wife Avril's suggestion he turned the course into a book!:

https://www.amazon.com/Beginning-Min.../dp/1577314417

We will all have to deal with this a few times in our careers. What is telling is you are the second optician this is happening too.

*AND NO REFUNDS! Your time is money!!!

*She can wear them for a week or two and then upgrade to new lenses if this resolves (probably not) her sensitivity.

Oh- There's also contacts;)
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 11-03-2023 at 10:27 AM.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Bench resting is your friend. Take them down the back and have a biscuit for five mins. Come back and tell her you changed something.
    If you're sure there's nothing wrong with them then you don't want to change things and create an actual problem.
    Love biscuits.

Sometimes, people just simply get neurotic about rimless glasses. "Oooh, they're TOO FRAGILE!" "Sir, they are titanium." "Ooooh, they feel like they're falling off!" "Ma'am, they're just lightweight."

I really think this is true. Next time, put her into something "sturdy" so she can feel the frame.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What drk says...My old eyes skipped the rimless part...but it's true...sometimes an acrylic with more coverage over and around the bridge does the trick!

Loved Silhouette SPX's for this!!!

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We had one that would come in on the Tue. afternoons when his wife hosted her bridge club.

Cleaning the lenses and warming the temple tips seemed to resolve the adjustment issues.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by waynegilpin View Post

Cleaning the lenses and warming the temple tips seemed to resolve the adjustment issues.

I got a nickel for every patient that this worked on…I was able to retire comfortably…..

Thread Information