Thread: Help with golfers

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Help with golfers

Unbeknownst to our optical department we just launched an add campaign with local golf courses. anybody have any info or training on lenses and such for golfers.

Thank in advance.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    There is the Shamir Golf progressive: https://www.shamirlens.com/products/...13-shamir-golf

Many golfers prefer to use SV distance only as they feel standard progressive are detrimental when addressing the ball.

I've helped a decent amount of pro golfers in my area and the vast majority of them prefer to not use polarized lenses as they feel their depth perception isn't as good, particularly with regards to reading greens (slope, undulations, etc).

There are many golf specific frames and lenses out there from Oakley, Bolle, etc.

Here is the performance line from Henrik Stenson, former British Open champ and Ryder Cup winner. He uses the Iceman 3.0 when he plays. Notice none of these are polarized: https://henrikstensoneyewear.com/eye...s-performance/
    Last edited by Elvis Is Alive; 09-29-2023 at 11:08 AM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Agree with Elvis. Worked with a couple professional golfers and they swear by the Oakley Prizm Golf lenses. I would have maybe 8 different pairs of your best selling Oakleys with the prizm golf lenses in them ready to sell. Then call your rep and see if they have any golf specific advertising you could post. I'm sure they would be happy to oblige.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    What's in the Prizm Golf Lens? Prizm?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    When glass was prevalent we use to take a round bifocal and reduce the diameter to 10 mm and put it in the upper corner of one lens so the could see their score score card. I doubt anyone could do that process today.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Lensman11 View Post
    When glass was prevalent we use to take a round bifocal and reduce the diameter to 10 mm and put it in the upper corner of one lens so the could see their score score card. I doubt anyone could do that process today.
    I was just talking with a lab rep about that. Personally I need help with the windmill myself.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    And what did the rep say

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Lensman11 View Post
    And what did the rep say
    It was mostly reminiscing about what used to be done in the long long ago.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Did many a golf seg in the day, (rd seg, placed lower temporal R). CR is the only material they even make Rd segs now a days ( unless you FF one on the concave of another material).

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    What's in the Prizm Golf Lens? Prizm?
    Oakley's color enhancing and contrast technology. The way the rep explained it to me 10 years ago is they take high level athletes and ask them what they want to be able to see more clearly. Then they play with tints to fine tune everything to their satisfaction. I don't know if this is actually true, just the story from the rep.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    Did many a golf seg in the day, (rd seg, placed lower temporal R). CR is the only material they even make Rd segs now a days ( unless you FF one on the concave of another material).
    Yeah the only rd seg outside of CR39 that I have found is from Three Rivers Optical, have had varying levels of success with it. Some loved the blended seg and some hated it.

https://3riversoptical.com/tr-o-seg/

This would be a horrible option for golf lenses though.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Upside down flat top. Cement on round seg. Fresnel stick on power, SV distant with addition pair readers, smart phone and increase the font or just cheat at the 19th hole.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by NAICITPO View Post
    Yeah the only rd seg outside of CR39 that I have found is from Three Rivers Optical, have had varying levels of success with it. Some loved the blended seg and some hated it.

https://3riversoptical.com/tr-o-seg/

This would be a horrible option for golf lenses though.
    IOT makes one as well https://www.iotlenses.com/Discover-o...s-Bifocal.html

I wonder what the lab software limitations on it are? It would work as a golf seg if you could outset it to the temporal corner like an old traditional golf seg.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by NAICITPO View Post
    Oakley's color enhancing and contrast technology. The way the rep explained it to me 10 years ago is they take high level athletes and ask them what they want to be able to see more clearly. Then they play with tints to fine tune everything to their satisfaction. I don't know if this is actually true, just the story from the rep.
    This is accurate. They developed the Prizm colors hand in hand with athletes to get real time feedback. The Golf and Dark Golf work extremely well. Field (Baseball) is another good one for the contrasting environments

Thread Information