Thread: Tinting

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Tinting

I swear every year at the end of the summer I am so done with tints taking forever from the lab. They come back and the customer isn't happy with the color. If you put a mirror coating over the tint it can change the color of the tint. If you put an AR on the backside of a tinted lens it is hard to get the exact match the customer wants. I am about ready to just throw in the towel with all tints.

Someone talk me off the ledge!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Your issues are a fact of optical life. When you sell a tint never tell the patient that it will be an exact match. Have Plano lenses with mirror tints and hold over your tint to simulate the end color. The heat involved in AR coating will alter the tints it is just the way it is.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I try to avoid tinting if possible. We always recommend polarized, photochromic lenses, and Chemistrie clips over tinting.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Hi, my name, Joe Santinelli. Have you heard about AI color lenses that increase patients sport vision over 20%, I can send you information,

how Santinelli Snap Vision frame concept allows patients to self insert RX lenses of choice in Two, yes Two seconds!! Not mentioning increased revenue$$$$$
    respectfully Joe Santinelli further information Contact 516 381 3413

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    just strongly discourage tint, and explain the lack of science behind them as well as the lack of consistency. Set the expectation low with the patients. Many time I feel they believe a tint in going to solve all of their issues and save them money. It's only full of heart ache and disappointment

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by santinelli View Post
    Hi, my name, Joe Santinelli. Have you heard about AI color lenses that increase patients sport vision over 20%, I can send you information,

how Santinelli Snap Vision frame concept allows patients to self insert RX lenses of choice in Two, yes Two seconds!! Not mentioning increased revenue$$$$$
    respectfully Joe Santinelli further information Contact 516 381 3413
    THE MAN has spoken!!

OptiBoard Professional Mauro.Airoldi's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    The reasons for the poor results in the reproduction of the required color can be two different:
    firstly do you send a sample (manufacturer reference or just a generic request for "G15"?
    secondly there is a big problem of metamorphism of the light sources, some colors can be reproduced correctly if observed with certain light sources and different under others (for example, a colored lens that transmits a lot of blue and green can appear much bluer under a LED light than under a halogen light)
    thirdly, the presence of mirrors substantially modifies the transmission. I am attaching the transmission graph of a G15 lens with blue mirror and gold speggio the sensation using these two lenses is very different.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blue.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	33.1 KB 
ID:	15473

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gold.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	35.3 KB 
ID:	15474

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Elvis Is Alive View Post
    I try to avoid tinting if possible. We always recommend polarized, photochromic lenses, and Chemistrie clips over tinting.
    Yeah, I need to convince my counterparts to see this point of view too...

Quote Originally Posted by EyeManDan View Post
    just strongly discourage tint, and explain the lack of science behind them as well as the lack of consistency. Set the expectation low with the patients. Many time I feel they believe a tint in going to solve all of their issues and save them money. It's only full of heart ache and disappointment
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Mauro.Airoldi View Post
    The reasons for the poor results in the reproduction of the required color can be two different:
    firstly do you send a sample (manufacturer reference or just a generic request for "G15"?
    secondly there is a big problem of metamorphism of the light sources, some colors can be reproduced correctly if observed with certain light sources and different under others (for example, a colored lens that transmits a lot of blue and green can appear much bluer under a LED light than under a halogen light)
    thirdly, the presence of mirrors substantially modifies the transmission. I am attaching the transmission graph of a G15 lens with blue mirror and gold speggio the sensation using these two lenses is very different.
    Thank you for the information, good stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    THE MAN has spoken!!
    It sounds amazing!!!! Maybe better than blue roll?

Thread Information