Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What should new Opticians know? Calling seasoned Opticians...

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Question What should new Opticians know? Calling seasoned Opticians...

Hello,

Looking for feedback from "seasoned" Opticians...

I have been asked by my State Optician board to offered training and breakout sessions for apprentice and new Opticians. I have been in the industry since 1985 and have a few ideas. Welsh 4-drop... is NOT one of them.

Any feedback is appreciated.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In the beginning:

1) Get your algebraic signs correct.
    2) When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Hope this help,

Robert Martellaro
    Last edited by Robert Martellaro; 08-09-2023 at 06:27 PM.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Go to the State Board of Opticians site. Look at what is covered on the examination and base your teaching accordingly! Look at the ABO/NCLE sites, and see what is covered there, and again teach accordingly. There used to be a school at Cuyahoga (sp?) Community College, and some of the faculty may also offer assistance. I wish you well in this work. It is important.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Troubleshooting Rx complaints is by far the most underrated, underutilized and untaught skill most lacking in Opticianry. Understanding why an Rx isn’t working for a patient leads into understanding of the importance of fit, tilt, measurements (and compensation of measurements), base curve, lens design and many more aspects of how ophthalmic designs are intended to interact with vision. I’d start with fit, measurements and the compensation of as a start.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Exactly right my friend. But to do even adequate troubleshooting requires a basic understanding of optics, which unfortunately most do not have. Put em on and try em for a couple of weeks, just isn't it! Hope things are well down on the farm!
    Last edited by wmcdonald; 08-09-2023 at 09:44 PM.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    EDIT: Never mind, I read it wrong.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    Troubleshooting Rx complaints is by far the most underrated, underutilized and untaught skill most lacking in Opticianry. Understanding why an Rx isn’t working for a patient leads into understanding of the importance of fit, tilt, measurements (and compensation of measurements), base curve, lens design and many more aspects of how ophthalmic designs are intended to interact with vision. I’d start with fit, measurements and the compensation of as a start.
    I think this is exactly correct, but I also understand why it is hard to tell people with little to no experience to troubleshoot. The thing that hit me when I was first starting was how logical optics is. Even though it is an art, there is no magic to troubleshooting. It is just eliminating possibilities until there is one thing left. I think it would be beneficial to brain storm with new opticians how they would troubleshoot an issue and then when they get stuck or do not mention everything you think is necessary you can talk through other things they should consider. Then give them a checklist for things to be thinking about when they tackle a difficult customer. It is not about what to think, it is much more about HOW to think.

One of the most important things I've found is make sure you take impeccable notes for how you fixed a problem. That way when you go to order the glasses the next time for the customer you can order it correctly the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by wmcdonald View Post
    Exactly right my friend. But to do even adequate troubleshooting requires a basic understanding of optics, which unfortunately most do not have. Put em on and try em for a couple of weeks, just isn't it!
    It is difficult because sometimes this is the answer. If you have verified the measurements and the fitting but you notice the doc bumped the script up + half a diopter they might not be feeling comfortable right away (much better to let customers know when they are ordering that the doc changed their Rx enough to make it uncomfortable at first). Definitely agree though that I hear that way too often from new opticians, it is kind of the go to talk track.
    Last edited by NAICITPO; 08-10-2023 at 12:36 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The answer is to assure a solid foundation before letting these folks deal with patients.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The answer is to assure a solid foundation before letting these folks deal with patients.
    Do not disagree at all, but I am not sure it is very practical. If someone wants to learn teach them, it is not an ideal solution but we do not live in an ideal world.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I understand. I've wasted enough time making this same argument all these years. Best wishes.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I understand. I've wasted enough time making this same argument all these years. Best wishes.
    You’ve not wasted your time voicing the necessity of education for Opticianry. You’ve motivated me and countless others to be as good of Optician as we could be, to get active legislatively, and give back, where and when we could. Unfortunately, it has always been, and more than likely in the future, only a small percentage that will strive to better themselves, or our profession. It’s sad….

Exactly right my friend…..Hope things are well down on the farm!
    Going good. Corn’s 8 ft high, healthy deer in the woods and the catfish are jumpin’ in the boat…Take care..

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks for your kind remarks, but I have not succeeded in achieving the goal! I had almost given up but went to Leadership in Asheville. I met some young folks there and left with some hope for a future decided by us! Is it too late? I am still out here!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    1. Never assume the Rx you’re working with is spot-on appropriate for the person and targeted activity.
    2. Never assume people are insensitive to small differences
    3. Never assume lens placement must be orthodox
    4. Learn and master every type of frame and emergency repair
    5. Don’t make the mistake of generations of opticians past and ignore or trivialize learning the fundamentals of being a style consultant.

B

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Get them in the lab. Dispensing opticians should have edging experience at least, surfacing experience at best. Nothing helps you make appropriate RX-to-frame recommendations better than seeing exactly what that +8.00 28/28 PD lens looks like in a 57mm grooved frame every step of the way. No amount of theoretical training and book-learning can compare with handling the actual frames and lenses, and nothing gives you real skin in the game like having to dispense the poor choices you also had to edge.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    "One of the most important things I've found is make sure you take impeccable notes for how you fixed a problem. That way when you go to order the glasses the next time for the customer you can order it correctly the first time."

Patient records are your best friend. I avoided more than one remake with a phone call reminding the Dr. that we remade that exact Rx last year because the Pt. didn''t accept it. Had one pt. that would save me the phone call by handing the manifest back to the Dr. and telling him that he forgot to include her very significant prism. Why she continued to use him baffles me to this day.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    Get them in the lab. Dispensing opticians should have edging experience at least, surfacing experience at best. Nothing helps you make appropriate RX-to-frame recommendations better than seeing exactly what that +8.00 28/28 PD lens looks like in a 57mm grooved frame every step of the way. No amount of theoretical training and book-learning can compare with handling the actual frames and lenses, and nothing gives you real skin in the game like having to dispense the poor choices you also had to edge.
    +1

I love this idea! Nothing is better than telling a customer, "We tried making glasses for someone with a similar Rx as yours and it didn't turn out very well in that frame. It was thick and didn't look good, let me show you something that would look better." I've toyed with the idea of making the optician who made a bad frame lens combo step into the lab and finish it with me. I usually tell them why do they hate me, but I am going to borrow this idea of making them finish it themselves

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by waynegilpin View Post
    "One of the most important things I've found is make sure you take impeccable notes for how you fixed a problem. That way when you go to order the glasses the next time for the customer you can order it correctly the first time."

Patient records are your best friend. I avoided more than one remake with a phone call reminding the Dr. that we remade that exact Rx last year because the Pt. didn''t accept it. Had one pt. that would save me the phone call by handing the manifest back to the Dr. and telling him that he forgot to include her very significant prism. Why she continued to use him baffles me to this day.
    Detailed notes. Every time. Yes.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by NAICITPO View Post

It is difficult because sometimes this is the answer. If you have verified the measurements and the fitting but you notice the doc bumped the script up + half a diopter they might not be feeling comfortable right away (much better to let customers know when they are ordering that the doc changed their Rx enough to make it uncomfortable at first). Definitely agree though that I hear that way too often from new opticians, it is kind of the go to talk track.
    I prefer to say the prescription changed based on your responses in the chair. So with this amount of change it may take some time for your new pair of shoes to fit comfortable.

Or whatever else pops into my head along these lines.

And especially when the oblique cyl axis changes on any progressive "Expect some time for them to get comfortable as we let the conscious and subconscious get used to the change".

"Please don't come back to me the next day saying I can't wear them! A little time usually resolves the issue so if they still bother you a few weeks later come back with your old pair and we'll troubleshoot from there."
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 08-17-2023 at 11:51 AM. Reason: tweak...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    I prefer to say the prescription changed based on your responses in the chair. So with this amount of change it may take some time for your new pair of shoes to fit comfortable.

Or whatever else pops into my head along these lines.

And especially when the oblique cyl axis changes on any progressive "Expect some time for them to get comfortable as we let the conscious and unconscious get used to the change".

"Please don't come back to me the next day saying I can't wear them! A little time usually resolves the issue so if they still bother you a few weeks later come back with your old pair and we'll troubleshoot from there."
    Going to borrow these phrases

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    How I wish that were true! In PA where no license or ABO cert is required, I started with absolutely no prior experience or knowledge and the bare bones training.

I would say that you shouldn't stop learning once you are done with whatever training or certification or apprenticeship you're in. This industry continues to evolve and we need to evolve with it.

There's more to opticianry than optics. Learning sales and how to be a good stylist is extremely important. Learn that the real world is not "by the book." Every patient is different and has different wants and needs. Take the time to consider and offer your best recommendations for the patient.
    Krystle

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Don't discount getting to know your patients, their hobbies, their day today routines. Knowing their lifestyle can help you get it right the first time. Also don't just take multifocal measurements sitting down . Get your patient to get up and walk, see how their head position shifts, When they are sitting, dot up lenses where you think the marks should be, then chat with them and see if their posture changes/relaxes. Watch the marks and change them if needed.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    As suggested above, some lab experience, and solid classroom learning-BUT-may not be realistic in a business where someone is the receptionist one day and the contact lens fitter the next (I have actually seen exactly that, and I can't be alone).
    More do-able: learn the lens cross, so much descends from that for a rookie. Also, when troubleshooting, really listen to the patient; they often know what the problem is but don't realize it, and need translation from their general statements to a resolution. Often, there is no real problem but failure to manage expectations.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Opticianry has dissolved into some quasi-sales trade because we tolerate low standards. ODs, Pharmacists, and other providers maintain their training and education standards. They work within corporate entities and do well. CVS is the largest health care provider in this country today, and those professions maintain standards within that organization. What many seem to feel even here is that the work done by Opticians is not valuable and can be done by anyone. If you think about it, it doesn't take long to train someone to measure a PD, and measure fitting heights, and to tell Ms. Jones how wonderful she looks in these frames! Some mention sales, and "styling". Of course, those are important skills to have, but a real Opticians should be required to have some basic understanding of optics. I note that someone from California and PA posted about such things as if I feel they are not valuable. Relax, they are, and I never implied they weren't! Both are unlicensed states. Another from Canada posts here, and that individual may not be aware of the lack of requirements to be an Optician in the US. Every individual in Canada must have some form of education prior to becoming an Optician. In all but 22 states the arduous requirement to be an Optician in the US is a pulse. Comments here regularly reflect the fact that most have no idea about basic optics. Troubleshooting Rx problems need be more than try them for a while, and if it's not better see the Doctor!

I've been pushing an education agenda for 40 years and had given up any hope of making Opticianry a better place we could again gain some professional standing. I was invited to attend OAA's Leadership conference here in NC last January, and man I left excited. Prior to attending, a young woman from Oregon posted on social media she had achieved the Master's Certification from ANO. I congratulated here on LinkedIn, and she was at that meeting. And there were others. They wanted to see Opticianry again gain professional standing! I left energized and will soon be making an announcement regarding a new training program in development now.

I realize some may be offended by my comments. I apologize if that's the case, but if you are proud to be an Optician, and want the best for what was at one time not just glorified salespeople, don't take it personally. There are new associations staring in various states, seeking to grow and develop. Pennsylvania, Illinois, Missouri and more. Go, join the groups, and please consider my comments. We can be more, but no one will give us anything. We have to work to achieve it. Mentioned above, we need to develop a plan for the future, and resolve together to be better for future generations of Opticians. Sales is important, styling is important, but you are selling a prescription device, and must understand how it affects the vision of that patient. Yes, I said patient. These people don't come to you without have a vision problem, and we need to be able to address those needs. Is there a real problem? Absolutely, and it's up to us to manage our own expectations.
    Last edited by wmcdonald; 08-21-2023 at 10:45 AM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    See: https://opticianworks.com/free-optician-training/
    The Optician Qualification Standard
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2023-09-14 at 7.58.41 AM.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	37.1 KB 
ID:	15476

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy7 View Post
    Excellent phrases.!
    Originally Posted by Uncle Fester

I prefer to say the prescription changed based on your responses in the chair. So with this amount of change it may take some time for your new pair of shoes to fit comfortable with<spam link removed>
    Why the edit from my original post?
    Last edited by Steve Machol; 09-16-2023 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Spammer trying to be clever.

Thread Information