Thread: To Tag, Or Not To Tag?

Occupation
    Optical Retail

To Tag, Or Not To Tag?

Dispensary people, how do you tag your frames? Do you use removable tags? Do you just use the stickers the manufacturer provides, applied directly to the temple?

We are engaging a consultant who is insistent​ that we buy a label printer and use reusable labels. To me, that seems like a recipe for switched price tags, lost price tags, and price tags that don't fit on thick temples, because that's what I've experienced in previous jobs where we used reusable tags. Thoughts?
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    We certainly tag (with a self-generated barcode--that we don't utilize well--to avoid showroomers) with an adhesive sticker from a label printer and wrap it around the identifying information-containing temple (to avoid showroomers).

They're big. They poke eyes. They require "goof off" sometimes. I don't like them.

However, those slide on thingies always seem to break on one end and look worse. And I don't like writing on demo lenses; looks amateurish.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've been in offices that use no tags at all (currently, yay!), the "bone" plastic temple covers using the manufacturer stickers, and printed labels stuck directly on temples.

I hate having adhesive residue on the frames personally. I prefer using the little plastic bone tags all day every day over a direct sticker if a label absolutely must be used.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We use plastic tags with printed stickers that slide onto the frame sides. The front has the price, and the back has our computer system's code for the frame. We have some frames that aren't on the system and they just have the price. We don't really get trouble with switched price tags, simply because its fairly easy to tell what price category each frame falls into, not even counting that the computer would flag it as a different frame if someone did try it.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Arch Crown 601 is an adhesive tag that doesn't fall off and has to be cut off. No need to worry about switched tags with this one. Clean up of the adhesive is ez with a little mineral spirits.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We have stopped tagging our frames. Our highly trained opticians are qualified to direct our patients to the proper frame for their face shape, size and Rx. We know a general cost by the brand for those stating they just want what their insurance covers. Most of our patients have insurance (and don't know or understand their coverage) and after going over pricing with insurance, they are usually amazed on how little they end up paying. I've found this eliminates initial sticker shock and patients ask for help rather than shopping on their own and falling in love with a frame they should not use.

Thread Information