Thread: Do flash mirror coatings reduce the effectiveness of a photochromic lens?

Occupation
    Optometrist

Do flash mirror coatings reduce the effectiveness of a photochromic lens?

Hey, in sports specs for the kiddos, it's really neat to have photochromic lenses and a flash mirror preserves the "cool" look. In fact, some of the demos (from the sports specs frame company that must not be mentioned!) have a clear lens with a flash coat. NEAT-O!

Not only that, but, say in a pair of golfing sunglasses, or motorcycle glasses, or other outdoor sports glasses (like, say, trail running or mountain biking in the trails) it's kind of helpful to have a light-adjustable sunlens. (There are true light-adjustable sunlenses that go from, say 50% absorbtion to 80% absorbtion, but I like to go from 10% to 80% so they can use them in the shade or dusk or night, as well. That means an "Extra active" photochromic. <--shameless plug.)

In those types of glasses designs, it's important to choose a frame that doesn't look el-dorko in the lightened state. That's a tall task. If you use a dedicated plastic sun frame, clear lenses can make it look weird. But if you use a mirror flash coat, even with a lightened lens, it looks totally badness.

But are you messing with the photochromic effectiveness? Aren't you reflecting away some of the activating U.V. light? I would say "yes" (unless the mirror somehow selectively passes the UV through, and I doubt that).

So I ran a dumb experiment. I have some flashcoat on a clear lens sample (material unknown) and I laid it on top of an industry-standard extra-active photochromic lens sample, such that half of the photochromic was covered by the flash coat sample, and half wasn't.

With direct UV exposure, when comparing halves of the lens (one with the flashcoat sample overlaid, one uncovered) by looking through it from the wearer's view or the observer's front side view....

CIRCLE THE CORRECT ANSWER:
    a. they were the same darkness on each half
    b. the mirror-coated side looked darker
    c. the uncovered side looked darker

OptiBoard Professional Michael I. Davis's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    C is my guess

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Since I would assume that the flash mirror would reflect a small precentage of the UV rays, I'd say C as well.

Isn't this basically what the Xtractive Style Mirrors are? That is why I always assumed the style mirrors were only offered in Xtractive was because of the mirror reducing activation slightly.

Although if the clear sample you have is UV protected, then I'm not sure the results will be valid.
    Last edited by Elvis Is Alive; 06-06-2023 at 08:48 AM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm going to hazard a guess at A. Yes the mirror will impede some of the activating UV resulting in less photochromic activation, however the mirror will also reflect away some visible light, compensating for the reduced activation. Whether the two effectively counteract one another will be interesting to know.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Ok, so here are the results:

(I tried to post pics but failed.)

First of all, the mirror coated lens was probably CR39 according to sound.

The mirror coating did reduce the photochromic activity under the mirror coat, by about 10-15%.

But the mirror coating darkens the view by a corresponding 10-15%, so the view through the lens looked exactly the same with or without the mirror.

So, the mirror taketh away darkness, but it also giveth darkness.

So it's a wash.

You can safely mirror coat photochromics without loss of darkness.

The answer seems to have been "A".

DanLiv's instincts were correct.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Not the best experiment since the monomer might have had an effect, but still really interesting! Thanks for sharing

Thread Information