Thread: Independent Sporty Type Sunglass Brands

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Independent Sporty Type Sunglass Brands

I'm looking for a sporty-ish sunwear line not owned by a mega-corp. It could have an eyewear line in addition to sun but this isn't a requirement.

Currently considering Rudy Project, Vuarnet, and a couple of others. Maui Jim is out of the consideration since the Kering acquisition.

Any suggestions out there?

Occupation
    Optometrist
    https://7eye.com/

Bolle is nice.

https://www.wileyx.com/sunglasses but I wouldn't support a company that does online DIY optics.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks, I've sold all of the those in the past. Bolle is a contender, looking at Julbo too.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Liked what I saw from Julbo....

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Not killer, but worth a look: (click on "Rio Ray") https://www.interstatelabgroup.com/products/frames

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    would you consider a sister brand a independent sunglass company?
    https://www.zealoptics.com/

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would carry Maui Jim if it was my decision but anything Kering owned is a non-starter so Zeal is also out. I've reached out to Rudy Project already, reaching out to Julbo and Bolle tomorrow. I'll give feedback once I see some product. I used to sell Bolle but it has been many many years ago. I'm not sure Bolle will fly either since Bolle Brands is owned by A&M Capital Europe (private equity firm). The Wiley X and 7 Eye dont look much different than when I sold them 7-8 years ago.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Have worked with Rio Ray, pretty solid. We never had issues with them, can put any lens in that you want. They're basically a Maui clone but they do it well enough.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    here's a local one that I forgot to bring up earlier:

BUCCI
    https://buccisunglasses.com/

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Elvis Is Alive View Post
    I would carry Maui Jim if it was my decision but anything Kering owned is a non-starter so Zeal is also out. I've reached out to Rudy Project already, reaching out to Julbo and Bolle tomorrow. I'll give feedback once I see some product. I used to sell Bolle but it has been many many years ago. I'm not sure Bolle will fly either since Bolle Brands is owned by A&M Capital Europe (private equity firm). The Wiley X and 7 Eye dont look much different than when I sold them 7-8 years ago.
    I've carried Rudy Project for 12 or so years. I really only sell one or two models though. Strictly sports stuff, cycling, skiing, running, etc. Their Rydon model is 99% of what I sell. It works the best, has 2 sizes, the most options for frame and lens color. There isn't anything special about the rest of the line. Some niche stuff if you want it. Their "Lifestyle collection" is meh. More of the same non-adjustable good for symmetrical non-Rx people. The Rudy Project North America customer service is bad, like real bad. Don't expect anyone there to be useful when you call. If you know what you want and can order it though the online portal, it's fine. But prepare for banging your head against a wall if you ever have to call them. Also they have too many backorders. It drives me crazy. It's on things that should never be on backorder. Plano polarized grey for their most popular model? Backorder. I think they must only get shipments from Italy like once a month. When they run out, the backorder is always a month away. They can not get a prescription right to save their lives. I'm so glad I can edge and mount these myself now. Their Rx range is tiny and they never pass my inspection for PD or just general lens fitment. It's ugly. That being said. I still carry them and still sell quite a few. But I do all the Rx work myself, and only sell models that I know work well. It's not a deep line, especially for the casual consumer just looking for a wrap frame. I'd kill for a wrap sunglass line with good hinges and adjustable frames. Alas, even the "good" ones are non-adjustable, mold injected crap.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Such a market opportunity.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwill212 View Post
    I've carried Rudy Project for 12 or so years. I really only sell one or two models though. Strictly sports stuff, cycling, skiing, running, etc. Their Rydon model is 99% of what I sell. It works the best, has 2 sizes, the most options for frame and lens color. There isn't anything special about the rest of the line. Some niche stuff if you want it. Their "Lifestyle collection" is meh. More of the same non-adjustable good for symmetrical non-Rx people. The Rudy Project North America customer service is bad, like real bad. Don't expect anyone there to be useful when you call. If you know what you want and can order it though the online portal, it's fine. But prepare for banging your head against a wall if you ever have to call them. Also they have too many backorders. It drives me crazy. It's on things that should never be on backorder. Plano polarized grey for their most popular model? Backorder. I think they must only get shipments from Italy like once a month. When they run out, the backorder is always a month away. They can not get a prescription right to save their lives. I'm so glad I can edge and mount these myself now. Their Rx range is tiny and they never pass my inspection for PD or just general lens fitment. It's ugly. That being said. I still carry them and still sell quite a few. But I do all the Rx work myself, and only sell models that I know work well. It's not a deep line, especially for the casual consumer just looking for a wrap frame. I'd kill for a wrap sunglass line with good hinges and adjustable frames. Alas, even the "good" ones are non-adjustable, mold injected crap.
    It's funny. i reached out to Rudy Project, Julbo, and Bolle last week and so far only Rudy Project has responded. A six piece sampling is supposed to arrive at our office today. Rep did tell me that they receive product once a month from their factory in Italy. We will doing all our RX work in house if we carry it.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Elvis Is Alive View Post
    It's funny. i reached out to Rudy Project, Julbo, and Bolle last week and so far only Rudy Project has responded. A six piece sampling is supposed to arrive at our office today. Rep did tell me that they receive product once a month from their factory in Italy. We will doing all our RX work in house if we carry it.
    I though I remember you saying you didn't have in office edging in a different thread?

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwill212 View Post
    I though I remember you saying you didn't have in office edging in a different thread?
    That's correct. What i meant to say is that I would send them to our private lab instead of Rudy for Rx lenses.

Speaking of which, I received the Rudy Project frames (Rydon, Rydon Slim, Tralyx, Keyblade, Airgrip, Spinshield Air). It's about what I expected.

The suspended lens styles (Rydon, Tralyx, Keyblade) at least have adjustable nosepads and metal core temple ends for slight adjustments. They seem like slightly more robust versions of Oakley M Frame, Radar, etc.

Airgrip is a typical non adjustable injected frame similiar to Wiley X and 7 Eye frames among hundreds of others. It has a rubber side shield that inserts into the triangular holes of the temple. Seems like they would fall out fairly easily with time and sweat. Backside AR on the polarized lenses in my sample.

Spinshield Air is a large shield that will probably only appeal to riders.

Two of them came with photochromic sun lenses. Range of light transmission change didnt seem huge when activated but cool option. I wish they didn't plaster the name all over the temples but I guess that's par for the course these days.

Still a contender but I want to look at other brands too. 14 piece minimum opening order for those interested.
    Last edited by Elvis Is Alive; 05-09-2023 at 03:47 PM.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We ended up opening an account with Rudy Project. Julbo doesn't have a rep in our area but did finally contact us. Bolle never reached out until a newly hired rep walked in after we had already decided to carry Rudy Project (Couldn't someone have given us a phone call instead of ghosting us for 3 weeks?).

We might have considered Bajio (and still might add them) had we known about them earlier. They are local here and started by the former VP of Costa after the Luxottica acquisition. Many former Costa employees work there and styles look similiar to Costa too.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by eddparker01 View Post
    From my perspective, please check this out. It's perfectly satisfactory for me.
    Guardian Glasses
    Curious post. We are discussing independent sporty sunglass brands not safety eyewear.

Thread Information