Thread: Myopia control

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Myopia control

I just wanted to know what your office preferred choice of myopia control for kids?

Contact lens? Bifocal? or this that I just came across https://www.hoyavision.com/en-ca/dis...ia-management/

I'm not too familiar with the last one but I have had the doctor put kids in a bifocal ft28. I was in another office that was more of the NaturalVue CL fan.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Bleah. It's so very misunderstood.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Our OD uses Cooper Misight CLs or low dose atropine. i do not believe the Miyosmart eyeglass lenses are FDA approved in the USA yet.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    Bleah. It's so very misunderstood.
    what's misunderstood? the method to control myopia? or controlling myopia in general?

Occupation
    Optometrist
    How it applies.

You never will know what benefit any single one individual that you treat will have benefitted. You don't have a control.

The only benefit seen is in population studies. One population with the treatment, one without.

Now, try explaining that to mom.

"Hey mom. Put these drops in your kid's eyes for xxx years. It will reduce their statistical risk of average myopia progression."

"Hey dad. Put your kid in these (expensive) MF SCLs (with crap for optics, BTW). It will reduce their statistical risk of average myopia progression."

Etc.

What will be told them (and I've already seen it, brother) is: "Your kid has myopia. We need to stop it from progressing with orthokeratology lenses." Uh, it doesn't work like that.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    @drk what would you do then if you noticed a kids myopia increasing drastically within a 3 year span? assuming they see you every year.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Accupuncture or cupping will do the trick...

Quote Originally Posted by iD View Post
    @drk what would you do then if you noticed a kids myopia increasing drastically within a 3 year span? assuming they see you every year.
    My first thought is get a second opinion from another doctor after reading drk's opinion.

Meanwhile the 20/20/20 rule can be practiced.

The See More Clearly method that comes and goes every generation, I believe can also help young myopes but good luck getting a kid to stick with that.

What I see here is anecdotal evidence but so are many medical breakthroughs like chiropractic treatment that takes time and much more study to become proven.

And it sounds like that is what drk is saying and would advise accordingly.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    1. You know that you can't necessarily do anything.
    2. You know that "drastic progression" is likely to abate, anyway.
    3. You look at the family hx.
    4. If you want to, you explain to the parents that maybe there's a chance that perhaps the myopia progression can be somewhat slowed but you cannot guarantee it, nor can you predict it, nor can you ever know if it worked. And if they still want to proceed you do CLs if they're a CL wearer or you do 0.05% atropine otherwise.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by iD View Post
    I just wanted to know what your office preferred choice of myopia control for kids?

Contact lens? Bifocal? or this that I just came across https://www.hoyavision.com/en-ca/dis...ia-management/

I'm not too familiar with the last one but I have had the doctor put kids in a bifocal ft28. I was in another office that was more of the NaturalVue CL fan.
    I know in the practice I'm at I think the doctor would secretly ask, 'why would I put kids in glasses when I can put them in CRT contacts and make a ton more money?' The parents have no trouble paying for it, the kids don't have to wear glasses so they are happy, and the doc and practice makes more money.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    How it applies.

You never will know what benefit any single one individual that you treat will have benefitted. You don't have a control.

The only benefit seen is in population studies. One population with the treatment, one without.

Now, try explaining that to mom.

"Hey mom. Put these drops in your kid's eyes for xxx years. It will reduce their statistical risk of average myopia progression."

"Hey dad. Put your kid in these (expensive) MF SCLs (with crap for optics, BTW). It will reduce their statistical risk of average myopia progression."

Etc.

What will be told them (and I've already seen it, brother) is: "Your kid has myopia. We need to stop it from progressing with orthokeratology lenses." Uh, it doesn't work like that.
    The site just won't let me Star Dr K as frequently as he deserves for the public service of science education.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Thanks!

Thread Information