Thread: Fastcast lenses

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Fastcast lenses

Hello all
    I have been tasked with writing an article on 'Fastcast' lenses. Recently had the misfortune to see some with really awful lens aberrations. I am not familiar with the process at all and Dr Google is proving to be less than helpful. The labs I have spoken to are not willing or able to share info. I am based in South Africa and would really appreciate some useful input please.
    Many thanks
    Cheryl

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't know if this helps at all but according this blog, Larry Joel developed "fast cast" in 1988:

http://irvaronsjournal.blogspot.com/...ss-lenses.html

And this related article about Larry Joel:

https://www.visionmonday.com/article...r-tax-evasion/

Hope that gives you a starting point at least.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thank you for this - at least it explains the genesis of the system.
    I am trying to find out what the lens standards are really like. I have seen some shocking examples of Lenses that have so many aberrations that you and I would reject them out of hand, but some people are just grateful to be able to see better today than what they could yesterday. I am interested in ABBE values and safety standards and if there is a real difference between lenses that are properly cast and lenses that are not. And if optometrists and opticians in other countries are still actively using this system, or if it's been disregarded as not adequate for the purpose. The article above seems to indicate that lenses properly cast met ANSI standards, but this is surely difficult to check if the actual process isn't properly followed. Any input is appreciated. Thanks again

OptiBoard Professional jrumbaug's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We had a Fastcast system at Browning Eyecare in Kenova, WV. My memory says about the year 2000. I was happy with the quality of the lens. Patient acceptance of the progressive lens was very good. Though I cannot document it, I would say the lens met ANSI standards. At the time we purchased the system, progressive lens were $70 to $90 wholesale. We were able to make lens with $XX of materials and 1 hour of labor. As time went by, more economical lens became available so the cost advantage diminished. Also, small frames became popular. The plus power lens diameter were set by the mold. This made for lens that were too thick, cosmetically, in the small frames. Later, a/r became popular, and the need for a/r left out the Fastcast lens. In summary, the Fastcast lens were an optically good lens but there were limitations to where the lens could be used.

Let me add. The Inotech system mentioned in a link above is/was different from the Fastcast sytem. The Inotech system took a premade front surface lens to which you added polymer to the back to make your prescription. The Fastcast system used glass molds for the front and back surface. You place the resin in the mold and made both surfaces. We did our training in Louisville, Ky. The second link above refers to an article about the president of the company.

We stopped using the system about 10 years ago. About 2 years ago, we trashed all the equipment and molds.
    Last edited by Steve Machol; 05-13-2023 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Edited to remove wholesale prices

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thank you - this is helpful.

OptiBoard Professional Mauro.Airoldi's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I'm afraid this technology was a good idea but it had so many problems that it was abandoned and in any case it is technology of the past millennium

Thread Information