Thread: Help me identify progressive lens markings

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Help me identify progressive lens markings

Hello. I have a customer who really like their old progressive lenses. With those lenses she can comfortably see her multiple monitors at intermediate distance without turning her bad neck too much. For new lenses, I sold her Essilor Varilux X because it's supposed to have the widest corridor, but apparently not wide enough for her (compared to her current glasses). I think her old lenses have an ADD of +1.00, while her new Varilux X has an ADD of +2.00. I know that higher add power generally makes the corridor narrower. Maybe this narrower corridor is the new reality she has to get used to.

In any case, I need help identifying her old lenses.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OldLensesMarkings.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	20.9 KB 
ID:	15328

Above the temporal marking is "IXL-9". Below it is "100", which is probably the ADD power. Below that is the letter "A". Above the nasal marking is "1.61", which is probably the lens material.

So the question is, what lens has that "IXL-9" markings?

Thanks,
    Josh

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I couldn't find anything matching in the Vision Council's EPIC progressive identifier database. I did find an IXL progressive design from Optotech's lens design software but I couldn't find a centration chart anywhere to verify the markings. Here is the pdf with the design on pages 15-17:

https://www.visionproductssoutheast....h_long_Web.pdf

I'm guessing these are designs for private label PALS.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by salvadorjoshua View Post
    Hello. I have a customer who really like their old progressive lenses. With those lenses she can comfortably see her multiple monitors at intermediate distance without turning her bad neck too much. For new lenses, I sold her Essilor Varilux X because it's supposed to have the widest corridor, but apparently not wide enough for her (compared to her current glasses). I think her old lenses have an ADD of +1.00, while her new Varilux X has an ADD of +2.00. I know that higher add power generally makes the corridor narrower. Maybe this narrower corridor is the new reality she has to get used to.

Above the temporal marking is "IXL-9". Below it is "100", which is probably the ADD power. Below that is the letter "A". Above the nasal marking is "1.61", which is probably the lens material.

Thanks,
    Josh
    With a +1.00 she was likely just using the top distance part of the lens for multiple monitors. With a +2.00 add she has to use the actual intermediate portion of the lens which will be narrow. There's no general purpose PAL in the world that has a corridor wide enough more multiple monitors without significant head turn.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This thread may be of interest as well...

https://www.optiboard.com/forums/sho...+Grant+readers

What's the distance rx?

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by salvadorjoshua View Post

Thanks,
    Josh
    Going on this limited info, I don't think the issue is lens design. It appears that the glasses she's wearing are an optician-compensated computer PAL. I'd bet a dollar thst she has half of her add power in the top portion of her lenses, hence the +1.00 / +2.00 add disparity. She's wearing an occupational lens design and her new glasses are for everyday wear.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Accommodative support lens turned into an office set maybe. Hence no peripheral distortion

Thread Information