Thread: xtractive polorized glazing

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

xtractive polorized glazing

Hello,

Easter Greeting to all!

Just need some help if anyone is on the board as my lens supplier is shut until Tuesday, I need to glaze a set of Xtractive Polarized transitions 1.6, and wondered if anyone knows if they are laminated like a normal polarized sunglass lens , Its a cold insert and I normally spring in from the front and had an unfortunate experience with a normal polarized lens last week where the polarized layer chipped off! These ones are a lot more costly!

Many thanks!!!

Alan

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You shouldn't have any trouble springing those in from the front, nor should you have issues with the "normal" polarized. You might try taking off a couple 1/10th's of a mm during edging.
    What brand are you using as your "normal" polarized? Good luck

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Avon View Post
    You shouldn't have any trouble springing those in from the front, nor should you have issues with the "normal" polarized. You might try taking off a couple 1/10th's of a mm during edging.
    What brand are you using as your "normal" polarized? Good luck
    Hello! Thanks for your reply the one I chipped last week wasn't a major supplier , the ones I'm doing now are a British company owned by Essilor I believe the lenses are made in India.

So what I think you are saying a good laminated lens shouldn't chip as easily as this on appears to have done?

Also the xtractive polorised do not look like they are laminated , Im going to have a word with the Essilor rep to find out

Thanks again

Alan

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Isn't the Transitions Xtractive Polarized just the Transitions Vantage rebranded? That isn't a laminated lens; the photochromic molecules expand and reconfigure in lines when exposed to UV. You should be able to edge it just like any Transitions lens.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    Isn't the Transitions Xtractive Polarized just the Transitions Vantage rebranded? That isn't a laminated lens; the photochromic molecules expand and reconfigure in lines when exposed to UV. You should be able to edge it just like any Transitions lens.

This ^. Treat like any other Transitions lens. But, imho, all Transitions lenses are “laminates”, (trans-bonded), other than cr39 which is “imbibed “. ( And they changed the traditional cr39 recipe to be more receptive of imbibing.)

Imbibing can only be applied to materials receptive to absorption (tinting). Poly, 1.67 and their ilk, don’t absorb, so they are “trans-bonded” (nothing to do with drk’s recent post..). Trans-bonding involves laminating a photochromic layer on the convex side, followed by more protective layers.

Now saying Non Cr39 are laminated, I’ve never encountered an issue with separation on any Transitions lens, so edge and snap in away!

Thread Information