Thread: Photochromic failure

Occupation
    Optometrist

Photochromic failure

We have a guy in an essilor lens with an essilor AR with an essilor photochromic in polycarbonate. Twice, now, separated by about a year, his Transitions Gray lenses have increasing residual color in the unactivated state. Strangely, it looks brown-yellowish, is about 15-20% density, and it's distributed according to the mass of the lens, i.e. he's -4.50 and it's darker at the edges than the center, like an in-mass tint.

Anyone have any ideas why this guy would keep doing whatever it is he's doing, and what the issue is? He does admit to being outdoors a lot.

OptiBoardaholic OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I see this all the time with transitions lenses as they get past the 1 year mark.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    That does not seem possible with polycarbonate as you know the tint is in the coating. I would go back to Essilor with this one.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Lensman11 View Post
    That does not seem possible with polycarbonate as you know the tint is in the coating. I would go back to Essilor with this one.
    My undertanding is that, starting with Transitions VI, the photochromic molecules are in the material the lens is made of, not in a coating.

I have Transitions lenses much older than this patient's, and they all look identical to the day I got them. This is a very strange situation.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I couldn't figure it out, either. I think the photochromic pigments are imbibed, therefore anterior on the lens, right?

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Imbibing is only possible on certain materials even what you believe to be cr 39 is slightly modified to accept the transition molecule. As far as I know non tintable lens materials cannot be imbibed. If the Poly lenses you have are not uniform in color and they have made the material itself photochromic it would be the only material in that category except for glass. One of the selling points for transitions was a uniform tint no matter what the thickness of the lens.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Lensman, you rock!

Sooo...Transitions Poly is NOT imbibed but in-mass, therefore I'm just seeing premature exhaustion of the photochromic properties.

(One more ding on the material of ill-repute.)

Now, the last mystery is why this dude's lenses have done this twice. He volunteered he's "outside a lot". I wonder if being activated extensively can cause premature exhaustion. (Hey, that sounds like me.)
    Last edited by drk; 04-07-2023 at 07:16 AM.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    https://www.transitions.com/en-us/wh...ochromic-tech/

https://www.2020mag.com/article/deco...sitions-lenses

Transitions went trans. That shouldn't be suprising.

Hey, I have a whole lot of Transitions marketing thoughts, all of a sudden...
    Last edited by drk; 04-07-2023 at 07:36 AM.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    https://www.opticaltraining.com/html...page_four.html

Holy smokes I'm soooo out of touch. Late 1990's?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I've seen this with non-Transitions products. There are some photochromic poly AR lenses on the market that fail per your description.

Insist on box tops or lens packing from your lab as proof of Transitions being processed. If not switch labs! Your current lab should not be substituting product preference as a cost saving measure for them.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I used Life RX poly photochromic lenses for about 6 months around 12 years ago. At the time it was the only Poly FT28 option for photochromic if I remember correctly.

Unfortunately, they were a laminate and almost every single pair came back within 6 months delaminating. Never used it again, no idea if it is still made that way.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Elvis Is Alive View Post
    I used Life RX poly photochromic lenses for about 6 months around 12 years ago. At the time it was the only Poly FT28 option for photochromic if I remember correctly.

Unfortunately, they were a laminate and almost every single pair came back within 6 months delaminating. Never used it again, no idea if it is still made that way.
    We experienced the same thing. They were the only photochromic available for Poly FT28. Almost all of them delaminated.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Elvis Is Alive View Post

Even today, your only other option is a hybrid Transitions product in a FT28 which is also--you guessed it--laminated.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Thread Information