Hi everyone,
We have a PX who came for yearly check and need to update their progressives.
The requirement they mentioned to the optometrist at testing time was if the reading can be better for close objects.

They were currently wearing a roughly 5 year old (scratched up and crazed) OSA Accolade Freedom Progressive in a full metal frame.
R: -1.25
L: -1.75
Add: +1.75

His new RX is:
R: -1.25
L: -1.75
Add: +2.50

He just turned 54

He wanted the "best" lenses. and he wasn't going to be wearing them for computers use (he can just take off specs to see screen).
So we went with our best design option, Zeiss Smartlife individual Progressive (balanced) with Digital measurements taken for heights, FWA, BVD etc
He re-used another frame, which was plastic but he has sufficient vertex distance 14.5mm and the panto was about 5.5 degree and FWA was 3.4 degree

He called us up, roughly 2 hours after collecting them, complaining that he's at home a lot and now compared to the old one, he cant see his kitchen benchtops properly. He has to "tuck his chin in" to see them clearly now. He said however normal distance is "brilliant" and the reading is good for phone etc.

I was trying to explain over phone the increase in reading power affects the middle vision more.
I asked him what is the rough cm to the benchtops - he said about 60-70cm*

We didn't use a short corridor so I was thinking that cant really be the problem. its more a medium/regular: 13mm corridor (17min fit height) design balanced, for the new specs.

My guess is because the power is changing faster along the corridor due to the higher add that at his comfortable level looking at benchtops, the power is stronger in the intermediate than his previous specs.

He will come back this week for me to check everything again and do some testing with him *I will confirm if his 60-70cm estimate was accurate.

I am going to try increase the pantascopic tilt more (to mimic some of his head tucking movement)

The Optometrist is suggesting to remake with a +2.00 add if that doesn't help, but to remind him that his reading wont be as good as he wants.

I was also thinking, should I change the design to "Active Intermediate" and increase the corridor length to stretch out the power more?
Otherwise, possibly also lowering the fitting heights a smidge maybe.

What are some of your thoughts on how to proceed?

Many thanks!