Thread: frame, edging measurements

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

frame, edging measurements

I am not really sure how to ask this or what exactly I am asking for. I need to know if frame manufacturers provide specs for edging lenses. I was told they used to have a book or catalog but I figured it would be online now if available at al. Example would if I am going to edge lenses for a Ray Ban 1588 in a 47 eye would Ray Ban provide the A, B ED and lens circumferences needed to edge the lenses? I have been getting some over sized lenses and would like to be able to verify some frame measurements and such to make sure that is not the issue.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Not sure if this translate to edging from a download but bring your credit card to this site that may help:

https://info.framesdata.com/frames-data-big-book-digital-edition-winter-2022

Welcome to OptiBoard!!!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by 3d glasses View Post
    I am not really sure how to ask this or what exactly I am asking for. I need to know if frame manufacturers provide specs for edging lenses. I was told they used to have a book or catalog but I figured it would be online now if available at al. Example would if I am going to edge lenses for a Ray Ban 1588 in a 47 eye would Ray Ban provide the A, B ED and lens circumferences needed to edge the lenses? I have been getting some over sized lenses and would like to be able to verify some frame measurements and such to make sure that is not the issue.
    If you were going to edge the lenses you would wither need a pattern, a sample lens tracing, a frame tracing, or an digital file(usually .OMA). If you just want to know the numbers Framesdata will work for most mass produced stuff. Why not just ask the lab that is making the oversized lenses what they are supposed to be? Are you sending the lab remote tracing files? Do you have an accurate way of measuring the edged lenses sizes?

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by 3d glasses View Post
    I know a lab that makes the lenses slightly bigger than what the .OMA file that way they don't float around in the frame. This lab might be doing that. You can talk to them and have them see if they are doing that.

OptiBoardaholic OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Not really sure what the OP is asking but certain plastic ray-ban sunglasses can be really hard to mount lenses in, especially the classic wayfarers...i find myself having to size down like 0.30mm to mount them without having to heat them up like crazy. Can also be really difficult to remount their plano glass lenses and I have damaged frames doing so.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Are you asking for C size, OP? Cause framesdata has B and ED measurements for most frames but you have to pay for it. I am sure if you called a frame manufacturer they could provide you with the c size. Your lab should have a c-sizer. If you're talking rimless frames, most manufactures send patterns with the frame.
    Krystle

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think you are saying that you are getting back lenses edged too large, yes?

If you are sending trace files to the lab from your own in-house frame tracer, make sure you are calibrating it often (I did mine every morning). I would never rely on an "archive" trace of another sample of the same frame or you will have frequent sizing issues. Always trace the actual frame the lenses will be mounted in if at all possible.

If this is an issue with frames you are sending to your optical lab, look for a new lab that can properly edge :)

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I am only speaking from my own experience running a large lab. We did not trace every frame what waste of time effort and money. Frames are very accurate and I proved it over and over again whenever I was challenged on the subject. When got a new frame we would make a pair test that we knew fit perfectly one was a +4 and the other was -4.00. I kept those sample lenses in a file. When someone brought me an order where the lenses did not fit I took out the original samples and low and behold they fit. The answer is usually a edger that is not acting correctly or out of calibration. If you are really having variations in the frame size I suggest you speak with the vendor.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Lensman11 hit it pretty spot on. More than likely it's an edger that hasn't had its calibrations kept up, and is grinding/cutting lenses larger than what the data calls for. If it's a smaller lab, and they're tracing each frame, same thing just calibrations aren't being kept up on the tracer. So the data it's sending ends up being off.

For actual frame metrics, FramesData is the best source. You should be able to just measure the lenses they're sending you and see what they're actually cutting out at vs what the frame needs.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    The shapes that are supplied by Frames data are not accurate enough to edge lenses to fit correctly into a frame. They were meant for surfacing thickness calculations.
    in my prior post when we did test lenses we used a plus and minus lens the reason is that as you shape the frame to conform to base curve of the lens the size will change. A 55 eye size on an 8 base will be about 1/10 smaller than on a 6 base. The change can be calculated and corrected at the edger. The higher the base and larger the eye size the more the size will change. Conversely flatter makes the size larger.

Thread Information