Thread: Your pride

Occupation
    Optometrist

Your pride

Last week I had a repeat visit from a nice patient who appreciates artistic eye wear (and a good optometrist!).

She had been going to a boutique-type optical run by a well-known (but not well-liked within the optical community, but I digress) Baroness of Boutique Eyewear in our metropolitan area and purchasing her frames from the Baroness' really, really trendy collection.

The patient has a Lafont and another I've-never-heard-of-the-designer frenchy frame with rhinestones and whatnot, and she needs new lenses.

Now, as you know, ain't no-one that does lenses better than DRK (which is ZERO investment...I'm a designer/supplier). But DRK has...ahem...pedestrian tastes...STRIKE THAT!! DRK's PATIENT BASE has pedestrian tastes in frames*. (See the "Rebirth" thread for evidence of this.)

So, the Baroness has retired to Bahamas, or something. And the nice patient wants a referral to another boutique. So I refer to a really cool big-time optical in the swankiest area of town, and I thought I'd call them to be sure they have Lafont.

"Hi, this is DRK and I'm asking for a patient...do you have french frames like, Lafont or Alain Mikli or Phillipe Starck?"
    " <dismissive snooty laugh> Of course"
    "Um, thanks. I have a patient for you."

My patient was pleased. Then I returned to my optical full of mainline vendors. I was ashamed for the rest of the day. "Sure must be nice to work with all those high-end frames" I brooded.

I used to have Lafont. It bombed. I used to have Ogi. It was niche. I have Silhouette, at least. I have ProDesign.

Question: Do YOU have a frame line that makes you proud to be an optical? NO, NOT FLEXON! No, not Kate Spade! Something special?

My bruised ego says I need something special.

*The problem isn't money...it's demographics. I live in the world's bedroomiest bedroom community in the midwest. Everyone is married. Guys aren't out to impress. Ladies want to be on the tailing edge of the cresting waves of fashion, but not be innovative early adopters. We do have some college kids that are subject to the whims of TicTok and whatnot, but we do not have much of the artsy/hippie/granola/LGBT community. Yes, I said it! They're all the same. Shoot me.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I’m gonna say what you already know:

A. You can’t be all things to all people.
    B. Since you’re already pretty established, you need to buy for your demographic. ( Not particularly to your own taste.)

Real quick story that happened about 10 years ago in Houston. There was a doc that was doing “ok” business. Mostly ins. patients, modest location ( not a trendy part of town) decided he needed to go more luxury/higher end. But keep his dispensary pretty much the same (frame rods and such.) Long story short, he lost a sizable portion of his patient base that purchased eye wear from him, they were walking. He was smart enough to go back to catering to his conservative base’s choices for frame and recovered..Several years later…

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    To answer your question, the brands that we sell that I'm fond of include Tom Davies (bespoke service is 2nd to none with regards to frame customization), Orgreen (especially the Sheet Titanium and Imaginary Lines collections), and Gold&Wood (although company's future isn't clear)

We sell Lafont, and do decent with it. Many are repeat customers for the brand.
    Last edited by Elvis Is Alive; 02-15-2023 at 01:13 PM.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So in a couple of weeks we are getting new lines in and since they are EssiLux I think they will track what I'm selling and some really pricey stuff may lure back loyal patients who have left for Boston's Newbury Street type opticals that cater to some of the "price is secondary" patients that live in multi million dollar homes nearby and reluctently left because the office focused on consignment junk to COG's.

I think we'll need more security in the dispensary as Maui Oakley and Costa are now possibly available.

I desperately want to keep Silhouette as many around here have dropped it and I'm hearing the drilled they offer is not the same as I new years ago when I tried to use other brands.

So Dorothy may yet return to skipping down the yellow brick road with commissions to sell a plano sun...

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    If you have a chance to look at Legre, I recommend them. Some really fashion-forward styles designed by opticians, and priced to sell.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I will never not hype David Spencer Eyewear on this one. There's a couple lines under that manufacturer, but the three I deal with most are Evolve (ok, kind of their "bread and butter" line, little bit neat without craziness), David Spencer (which is mostly acetates with some snazzy colors; for instance, I have the Bergh in Electric Ombre BECAUSE WHY WOULDN'T YOU HOLY CRAP), and also Tokyo Bay (kind of the metal version of David Spencer, good clean colors with solid shapes; also have a couple of these). If your regular demos are GM retiree insurance folks, well, probably not winning any over. But the price point is relatively reasonable if your opticians are doing a decent job of upselling/not slavishly adhering to frame benefit amounts (if still probably a solidly "premium" price point for Tokyo Bay).

For clarification, I am NOT a rep, I just friggin love these frames. They also have a couple other lines, I think? But we don't touch em, so can't speak to em

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I feel proud of bringing in Nano Vista especially since I have to fight tooth and nail to get anything I want. I know it's not a high-end brand but it's what the kids in my area need because they destroy frames.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Those are cool.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Nanos are great. 3 year no questions asked warranty. They have some cool glow in the dark and magnetic clip options. Mini strap and head strap included with each frame. Our best selling kids line.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Nanos are by far one of the best lines for kids. And have always had excellent customer service from them. Frame on backorder? They'll see if they have the parts in the warehouse to build one for a patient.

If you're looking for something that's not super high end but want something that has great options outside of the big retail manufacturers. Highly recommend Morel. From Lightec to Koali, they don't really have a line that I haven't loved.

Can't go wrong with Barton Perreira either

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We've had good success with the Morel Lightec. Nice stainless steel frames with screwless hinges on them. I believe they have 3 year warranty also.

My one issue with Morel is their discontinued frames are everywhere online for dirt cheap.

Thread Information