Thread: Frame fashion innovators.

Occupation
    Optometrist

Frame fashion innovators.

OK peeps, I want your experiences...

Who is setting the trend for eyewear, these days?

I remember when Cazal dominated ethnic frames.

I remember when Lux's Giorgio Armani and Marchon's Calvin Klein lit the world on fire in the late '90s with the small, round/oval, brown frames. Gucci was big for Safilo, and was "a thing".

I remember when super Euro frames from Lafont or Face a Face dominated, or LA Eyeworks with their splash and color or Paul Smith.

I remember when the geek chic black plastic exploded, led by RayBan and others.

Now, what are we seeing?

I think the general trend is rounder, metal, retro.

I don't know, however, if we have innovators left. Who do you see as leading the way, right now?

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Does TayTay have an rxable line yet?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Take all this with a grain of salt because my patients are mostly geriatric and not really concerned with trends, so I don't exactly have my finger on the pulse of what's hot, but I do pay attention to the glasses I see people wearing on social media.

I agree with the rounder metal frames being in, especially oversized round and octagon styles, for younger folks. I actually sold several retro men's browline frames last month, so I wonder if nerd-chic is coming back in too.

Based on social media and requests from our (few) Gen Z/younger Millennial patients, big weird geometric shapes are in. If you peruse the cheap online opticals like Zeeloool, Voogueme, etc., they carry all kinds of gigantic lens frames in crazy shapes. Think giant round lenses, octagons, exaggerated cat-eyes, etc.. There are frames on these sites where one lens is square and the other is round. And if you dare scroll through Tiktok, you'll see TONS of people wearing these frames. And they also have wild colors like neon green. I actually committed a crime against opticianry and ordered some of the frames for myself because they are cheap and fun.) You can actually get some of these exact same frames from New York Eye from their Enhance and Jubilee collections. People often post on Opticians on Facebook about patients bringing in these crazy frames to have new lenses put in.

1980s styles are going to be popular, I suspect. Zyloware has a new Halston line and they are very 1980s.

I have had a lot of people ask for the Pair eyewear frames with the magnetic fronts. As far as I know, there is nothing like this on the market that is wholesale for opticians to buy. I also committed a sin and got myself a pair of these and a bunch of fun magnetic fronts. They're really cool, and I hope someone makes a line that opticians can carry.
    Krystle

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think Tom Ford was a thing for a hot minute. Dior before that.

Back when she was a Vice-Presidential candidate, I would get daily requests for the "Sarah Palin" rimless glasses (Matsuda frame with custom lens shape if memory serves).

Lots of movie sunglasses requested - (Men In Black Ray-Bans, Linda Hamilton Terminator 2 Matsudas, Lawrence Fishburne Matrix Pince-Nez, etc)

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by KrystleClear View Post
    I have had a lot of people ask for the Pair eyewear frames with the magnetic fronts. As far as I know, there is nothing like this on the market that is wholesale for opticians to buy. I also committed a sin and got myself a pair of these and a bunch of fun magnetic fronts. They're really cool, and I hope someone makes a line that opticians can carry.
    We carry Zenka, which is modular. It uses hooks on the edge of the frame fronts for the clips instead of magnets. Tons of different clips available. Only negative is there is only two lens shapes: https://www.lunetteusa.com/

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Elvis Is Alive View Post
    I think Tom Ford was a thing for a hot minute. Dior before that.

Back when she was a Vice-Presidential candidate, I would get daily requests for the "Sarah Palin" rimless glasses (Matsuda frame with custom lens shape if memory serves).

Lots of movie sunglasses requested - (Men In Black Ray-Bans, Linda Hamilton Terminator 2 Matsudas, Lawrence Fishburne Matrix Pince-Nez, etc)

Ms. Palin wore a Kawasaki frame with a stock shape.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ah, yes. I remember now. thanks for the correction

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My demo is probably much younger than most offices but as far as current trends/styles I'm seeing (besides the crazy mismatched eye shapes which Krystle already mentioned)

On the metal side: I have alot of pts gravitating toward single piece block/sheet titanium frames, and inline metal groove (like Ovvo, IC Berlin, RoundTen, etc), frames with screwless hinges are becoming more prevalent and popular as well.

Acetates: Color is king for us. Gradient frame fronts, two tone colors, different colors on back of frame front, multiple colors layers, etc have been way better sellers than traditional tortoise/blacks

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    The 2023 style we're starting to see from our trendsetting lines (Gucci, BCBG, Marc Jacobs) is large geometric shapes like hexagons and octagons. Marc Jacobs, in particular, is leaning heavily into the octagons.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    The 2023 style we're starting to see from our trendsetting lines (Gucci, BCBG, Marc Jacobs) is large geometric shapes like hexagons and octagons. Marc Jacobs, in particular, is leaning heavily into the octagons.
    If you find the geometric shapes selling well, Henau has been making those for awhile now. Belgian designed, made in France. They are kinda niche but are well made:

https://www.henau-eyewear.com/en

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Elvis Is Alive View Post
    If you find the geometric shapes selling well, Henau has been making those for awhile now. Belgian designed, made in France. They are kinda niche but are well made:

https://www.henau-eyewear.com/en
    they're not exactly flying off the board for us, but the people who are buying them are very​ enthusiastic.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Thread Information