Thread: EyeZen Start

Occupation
    Optometrist

EyeZen Start

https://www.essilorpro.com/resources...tart#resources

OK, so here we have a FFSV/individualized lens that is aspheric/atoric plus it has a near zone at the bottom of the lens that is optimized for clear viewing on downgaze (but no add). (Then there's that blue light thingy but whatever.)

Compare this to normal FFSV lenses.

Is this not better?

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    To my knowledge, Eyezen Start is basically a replacement for Eyezen+ 0. EyeZen Start doesn't have any plus power in the near zone area like the EyeZen+ series (+1 0.40 D, +2 0.60 D, +3 0.85D, +4 1.10 D)

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Quick...Roll up the pants. It's too late for the shoes...

This 6 year old 20/20 magazine article frames what you are looking for well imho drk. The articles author may chime in as well!

"Traditionally, the term “20/Happy” was used to describe a prescription that balanced good vision with perceptual comfort. But 20/Happy is now about more than how well someone sees. Today it goes beyond simple acuity, encompassing customer satisfaction and perceived value—two essentials containing latent aspects little appreciated or understood by ECPs. To grasp how this is redefining eyewear value, let’s take a deep dive into what 20/Happy today is all about......"

"Today, eyecare professionals should resist seeing the costs incurred in keeping customers satisfied as a drain on profits. In an increasingly competitive market, any perceived unwillingness to be sympathetic or helpful when consumers ask for assistance will only work against you remaining their “eye guy” or “eye gal.” ECPs should focus on the bigger picture, where clear vision, comfortable fit, contemporary fashion and clearly communicated value all add up to customers staying on the right side of 20/Happy."

https://www.optiboard.com/forums/new...treply&t=74594
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 01-23-2023 at 09:49 AM. Reason: tweak...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Start is different from the 0, and I would be disappointed if it did in fact replace it. I have fit a few dozen Starts, all of them in -4.00 and higher myopes where off-axis perturbations are more noticeable, in hopes of improving their near and "digital" vision. None noticed particular improvement, though I suspect there is at least some (lots don't get any wow out of FFSV at all), but several non-adapted noticing more 180 peripheral blur. I put the non-adapts into either Eyezen 0 or Spectrum SV and problems disappeared. My hypothesis is that even though the Start does not claim any add power, there is still some sort of power change exclusively in the near zone, and any localized power gradient is going to necessarily induce some unwanted peripheral effects (presumably cyl). I think the Start is sacrificing the FFSV goal of "edge-to-edge" clarity in favor of improved distance to near clarity. I still think it's a useful concept and tool, but I'm glad I now understand some of it's limitations and can more precisely deploy it where it will do best.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    That makes sense, DanLiv. No free lunches.

Thread Information