Thread: Archery

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Archery

I just got asked if we have archery specific lenses. Is there a preferred lens you can recommend for Sv? Any ideas / suggestions would be great. I don't shoot archery so this is a new one for me after 31 yrs in the game.
    pt quote---Because my normal prescription glasses are fine in every day stuff but during archery nights the target is blurry but with both eyes open waiting to go down to pull the arrows I can see the target just fine.

rx
    -.50 -.50 x 46
    Lens Whisperer

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Contacts? Possibly a low power MF on the sighting eye?

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by jcmnbogey View Post
    I just got asked if we have archery specific lenses. Is there a preferred lens you can recommend for Sv? Any ideas / suggestions would be great. I don't shoot archery so this is a new one for me after 31 yrs in the game.
    pt quote---Because my normal prescription glasses are fine in every day stuff but during archery nights the target is blurry but with both eyes open waiting to go down to pull the arrows I can see the target just fine.

rx
    -.50 -.50 x 46
    Shooting glasses are similar. Use DVO RX. You'll need to create a pair of glasses with massively offset OCs. Ideal situation, you have your pt bring their bow into the office and draw, and you will get in front of them and manually put a dot in the demo lens where their pupils line up. (I've had rifle shooters use a broom and pistol shooters hold a stapler in the office.) For a right-handed shooter the OD will have an OC very close to the nasal, and the OD will be close to the temporal. Measure the PD from the dot to the center of the bridge. You'll end up wth a binocular PD something like 18/46.

Make sure your patient knows that these glasses will be utterly, utterly useless for anything except looking to the left.
    Last edited by AngeHamm; 01-10-2023 at 02:40 PM.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Clear crown glass would be the material of my choice along with moving the OC to what ever part of the lens the pt is trying to look out of.
    After all, what material is in ophthalmic equipment that Dr's refract with.......crown glass.
    We wonder why some of our patients have difficulty with their new Rx? Well the Rx has been in their pocket for 6 months and they want to see like they just came from the exam room . Its hard to fix todays visual expectation's with a 6 month old Rx. Order the glasses the same day of the exam or very soon afterwards. And now we are going to use materials to make lenses that are not as good as what the exam room uses.
    With a low Rx like that and any kind of shooting sport my experience has always been those patients want to see like a eagle so their expectations become unrealistic. God did not design humans to see like a eagle, if he wanted that he would of gave us wings also.
    Now also the health of the eye itself and EXPECTED visual acuity should be taken into account.

I need to quit venting......but after all.....That full moon is out there bringing in the moonbats for us.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by CCGREEN View Post
    Clear crown glass would be the material of my choice along with moving the OC to what ever part of the lens the pt is trying to look out of.
    After all, what material is in ophthalmic equipment that Dr's refract with.......crown glass.
    We wonder why some of our patients have difficulty with their new Rx? Well the Rx has been in their pocket for 6 months and they want to see like they just came from the exam room . Its hard to fix todays visual expectation's with a 6 month old Rx. Order the glasses the same day of the exam or very soon afterwards. And now we are going to use materials to make lenses that are not as good as what the exam room uses.
    With a low Rx like that and any kind of shooting sport my experience has always been those patients want to see like a eagle so their expectations become unrealistic. God did not design humans to see like a eagle, if he wanted that he would of gave us wings also.
    Now also the health of the eye itself and EXPECTED visual acuity should be taken into account.

I need to quit venting......but after all.....That full moon is out there bringing in the moonbats for us.
    This is all spot on; however, I would not use crown glass for archery glasses. That's a lot of torque really close to the eye, and I would rather have an impact-resistant material like poly or trivex in case of mishap.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Double-dog ditto. CR 39 and trivex are more than clear enough for that. Plus the power is miniscule. I wouldn't even strain the brain to move the OC's too far...there's no imbalance and the power off-center can't be that wrong. I'd do FFSV, though. Maybe move the OC's half-way...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    They actually make a peep sight lens that inserts into the sight on the bow string.
    Roy W. Jackson, Sr. ABOC

Thread Information