Thread: Santinelli LE-1200: How often do you replace your LMU tips?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Santinelli LE-1200: How often do you replace your LMU tips?

I just got my LE-1200. We've done about 100 pairs of glasses. We've had a little trouble with the edger lately and have been told it's because of dull blades and we need new LMU tips. Is that about right? New LMU tips about every 100 pairs made? Thanks for your thoughts.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    New, you should get way more. Is it a used edger? What’s total cuts on the machine? If used, was it run dirty? ( recirculating or fresh water).

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    What are the main issues?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Brand new. Got it in mid-September 2022. Fresh, filtered water. I'm not at the machine, including the training, probably around 250 total.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It’s under warranty. But don’t let them tell you it’s from wear. Unless they are using some other, softer material for the lmu tips. I’ve ran Santinelli’s for decades and never had to change them. My last ME 1200 had well over 2000 cuts and we never had issues.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    It’s under warranty. But don’t let them tell you it’s from wear. Unless they are using some other, softer material for the lmu tips. I’ve ran Santinelli’s for decades and never had to change them. My last ME 1200 had well over 2000 cuts and we never had issues.
    Thank you. I will call support again on Monday and see if I can get a better answer than buy new LMU tips.

OptiBoard Apprentice Fabian Corio's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    and have been told it's because of dull blades and we need new LMU tips. Is that about right? New LMU tips about every 100 pairs made?
    The LE-1200 grinds by means of diamond wheels not blades. What kind of materials are you processing ? New LMU tips about every 100 pairs is completely illogical unless you edge abrasive discs instead of lenses.
    As optical 24/7 mentioned, you should expect thousands of measurements before having to replace them.
    Tips are made of a hard, bakelite-like plastic and are designed to last more than 200 cycles. Of course they wear over time and that would alter your bevel, grooving and SFB position. But you could always run a LMU calibration in case any of these need correction.
    If tips are dented or cracked then you would have to replace.
    Just my two cents.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabian Corio View Post
    The LE-1200 grinds by means of diamond wheels not blades. What kind of materials are you processing ? New LMU tips about every 100 pairs is completely illogical unless you edge abrasive discs instead of lenses.
    As optical 24/7 mentioned, you should expect thousands of measurements before having to replace them.
    Tips are made of a hard, bakelite-like plastic and are designed to last more than 200 cycles. Of course they wear over time and that would alter your bevel, grooving and SFB position. But you could always run a LMU calibration in case any of these need correction.
    If tips are dented or cracked then you would have to replace.
    Just my two cents.
    Agreed. The LMU tips are just "feelers" and we have kept the machine very clean and visually they look good, but the technical support said we need to replace the LMU feeler tips based on the error code we got... But I plan to call again tomorrow and see if it could be something else. For now, we have taken the tips off, gave them a good clean and the edger seems to be working again.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    i have a Nidek LE 1200 edger that can trace a rimless lens but it can't trace a frame . But if the tracer able to trace the frame then the tracer will able to trace after that and if it able to trace in the first place.
    Than You ,
    Nathan

Thread Information