Thread: stuff not picked up

Bad address email on file

stuff not picked up

What do you do with glasses and other items not ever picked up?

We had someone pre-pay for a sunclip that we had to order. When it came in, the guy had moved with no forwarding address or phone. And this was only a week later!!!

Another case is a lady who spent a lot of money on glasses. She bounced a check twice and we finally collected all of it after much effort. Then, about a month later she was in a car accident and mangled her frames and lost one lens. We insisted on pre-payment in full before we would order new frame and lenses. She left the mangled glasses with us and said she'd have the money in a month. It's been a year and she has not come back. We have been unable to contact her.

A staff member suggested we could have her frame replaced under warranty and put it on the board. It doesn't seem ethical to me, but surely at some point "abandoned" items become our property to do with as we please? What happens if we do that, and then she wants her mangled glasses back?

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Dear Member of the month, Mail her the glasses back......

return reciept requested with a note saying not responsible for goods left over 30 days. ( it has no legal basis, you are responsible!) but if you can document sending them back you are on firm ground. The next time she comes in, direct her to your competition!:D :D

Return the sunclip you ordered for credit, or put it in a showcase and mark it Sale item! last one! 50% off. You will move it fast enough!

hj
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Gee you lucky. I get a dozen or so a year like this and we thinks we being nice trusting people and not getting a down payment.

Last edited by paw; 06-12-2003 at 11:12 PM.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I'm glad to see....

Chip,

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who does this. When I had a mall location we used to get down payments but I was never really comfortable with that.I was only the boss, the ops mgr set the policy! I still feel that if someone asks me for a down payment that they don't trust me! I don't like to do business with people who don't trust me and I figure the same applies to my business. I now have a solo practice within an opthalmologists office. Ive been here a little over 18 months and in that time I've only had 4 no shows. I figure thats the cost of doing business and charge it off to good will!~

hj
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    No Harry, you're not the only one. That is our policy as well, regardless of the deposit required sign. We've actually found that some folks will even not show up if they leave a deposit. I have two that need to be returned for credit from the vendors and one has a deposit that will be forfeited in the shop now. I don't even care if they have changed their minds at this point - just let me know so the job doesn't sit there collecting dust while the clock ticks on my ability to return the PAL's that were ordered.

Bad address email on file Suzy W's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The ones that always amaze us are the people who don't owe anything on their glasses and we still can't convience them to pick them up. We have quite a few a year from people on state assistance that won't come back to get the glasses. The funny part is these are usually the people calling us every day to see if their glasses are in yet. Go figure.:D

Suzy

OptiBoard Professional Robert Wagner's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Angry Stuff not picked up

Here is one document that I have used on a few occasions, (really only when I have to) and it seems to work. That is if you have a current address etc.

Date ___________________

Dear______________________________

HELP! Our "to be dispensed" drawer is overflowing!

The materials we ordered for you on________________ are long overdue for dispensing. To save space, the materials will be mailed to you or dismantled and returned to the supplier unless we hear from you within 15 days, according to the protocols discussed below.

The situation, which applies to you, is circled.

1. If no payment is due on spectacle lenses and/or frames, the materials will be mailed to you. We are still available to properly fit them to you: simply call for an appointment for an adjustment.

2. If no payment is due on contact lenses and you do not need to see the doctor at this time, the contacts will be mailed to you. You should be seen for a contact lens check in__________________________.

3. If no payment is due on contact lenses but you need to see the doctor when the contacts are dispensed, we will wait 15 days to allow you time for that visit. After 15 days, the contacts will be sent back to the supplier, your account credited for the contacts, and a $15.00 restocking/mailing fee will be assessed. You will be mailed a refund check if a credit exists after assessing the restocking fee.

4. If payment is due on new spectacle lenses and/or frames, the glasses will be dismantled. The frames will be sent back to the manufacturer and a $15.00 restocking/mailing could be assessed. The lenses will be held in your file if a balance still exists or sent to you with a refund check if you have a credit after assessing the restocking fee. After being held three months, the lenses will be disposed of and no refunds or credits are available either from us or from your insurance.

We would prefer to see you to allow us to provide the services that are included with your materials. If at all possible, please contact our office at ------------------for a dispensing appointment or to make payment arrangements.
    For your convenience our office is open until 6:00 PM Monday through Friday.

Thank you for understanding our need to conclude our transaction.

Cordially,

Robert Wagner

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Great subject.

We have that problem too. Believe it or not, last month I had someone come in wanting her $20 deposit from 1997 back. She was just driving last week then remembered it.

Rumour is that lenscrafters started the one hour service to get immediate payment, accounting and labor savings were supposed to be significant.

My first year open I got tons of $20 deposits or no deposit then got repeatedly stuck.

I now get at least half down or $100. If the patient doesn't show, the lenses are removed from the frame and put in an envelope in back. Frame goes back on the frameboard. If the patient returns, they get handed the lenses.

"But what if my prescription changed in the last year" they lament.

Sign says, all lenses custom ground, refunds within 30 days of order date as store credit only.

Harry

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar
    I'm sort of amazed at this thread, sure we all have "non-dispensed" orders, etc, for a multitude of reasons, but let me explore some thinking here about payment? I want you to think of your own personal shopping experiences. So, go shopping for a bit, trying to find something that's first of all, "custom made", not that we have much "custom-made" purchases...just or example, you're going to have a tux custom fit, because you are suddenly attending more social functions, or you have four daughters about to be marriage age, etc. so, you go into a men's wear store where they custom fit tuxes, now because you've "let yourself go" a bit, it is going to require lots of alterations, and won't fit the average guy, after they alter it! now before they cut it for you, do you think they'd like their money, up front? like, in case you were hit by a bus tomorrow, and never came back for the tux? Do you go to any store that they don't expect payment at the time of purchase? go to a furniture store, have a sofa delivered, do you think they'll leave it up to the delivery guy to collect their money? It's not a matter of mistrust; it's a matter of NORMAL business procedures! When our clients go through the whole fitting process, and we get down to how much?, how soon?, etc, I simply, ask "Will that be cash, check or charge?" and they pay it all , up front, well, 95% of the time, because they "expect to, and they know that WE expect them to! this is a business transaction, involving their eyewear being "Custom-made", after we make them up, they can't be put back in inventory! They belong to that person who has contracted with you to make them, so why wouldn't they expect to pay for them, and if so, why not when they're being ordered? What, they don't trust you to make them right, and they don't plan to pay you if they don't like the results? I don't know about you, but I need the cash flow of the new orders to cover the overhead and pay for the old orders in a timely manner, especially towards the end of the month when this persons lab bill may be on your current lab bill, before the person even picks them up....so, don't ask for a "deposit", expect the clients to pay for what they ordered, when they order it! you'll be amazed at how much better you feel about these things, I know I do...

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Please don"t send them back to the lab. It's not our fault.

NO CREDIT DUE!!!

Occupation
    Optometrist
    We routinely charge a deposit when we have to order RGPs or conventional soft lenses. I would do the same with specs. Half $$$ down when you order.............

Thread Information