Thread: Digital prisms

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Digital prisms

Does anyone have any experience to pass on about digital prisms. To clarify they are variable prism that for example can 0.5 at the top of the lens and 2.0 at the bottom. They need a special device to measure the needs of the patient and special software to drive your free form generator.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It’s been many years, but I was curious about designing such a lens ( a progressive prism, not a progressive lens). I confabed with Darryl and Harry C. The conclusion is that the design would have to have an umbilic corridor like a progressive lens does to control the unwanted astigmatism produced by having a progressive prism.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sounds like you are talking about Neurolens, it's a based off a old Kodak lens they used to call their Anit-Fatigue lens, which was a base-in near only in a progressive.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Neurolens is correct I would like to know all about the experiences that patients are reporting. Their are several labs offering the product and quite a Few retailers as well. This will be all new information for me.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Interesting thread on the Neurolens. Be sure to read the last Vision Therapy related post and how it helped the OB member poster.

https://www.optiboard.com/forums/sho...ight=Neurolens

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    Interesting thread on the Neurolens. Be sure to read the last Vision Therapy related post and how it helped the OB member poster.

https://www.optiboard.com/forums/sho...ight=Neurolens
    and there's the rub. It can be useful for a small group of people. Neurolens would have you believe it is useful for a very large subset of people, claiming 2/3 of the population could benefit from their lenses. (I smell BS). If they only catered as a specialty, sold to the vision therapy clinics, and applied it to the right types of patients, that would be great. But where is the money in that? Gotta get out and sell it to as many clinics and possible. Once the Doc pays 50k for the machine, you can damn well bet they are going to be testing everyone and telling them they need these new magic lenses to correct their .001D prism imbalance. So now you've got the doc paying for the initial machine and they have to use these proprietary lenses. Sell, Sell, Sell.

The doctor that works for me also fills in at another clinic that has Neurolens. They have told me that a very small percent of people have reported improvement with Neurolens, and the vast majority either have not seen a difference or not enjoyed them, especially for the cost.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Kwill, yes.

Thread Information