Thread: Ovation vs. Varilux X

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Ovation vs. Varilux X

We recently dispensed a Varilux X to a patient who had previously worn the Ovation because he wanted a "better, wider, progressive". He thinks the Ovation was wider. Is that possible? What's going on? It's the same frame, PD, Seg Ht and only a slightly different RX (which we checked and he does like better). Why would anyone prefer an Ovation to an X? Does it have anything to do with "hard" vs "soft" progressive design?
    Thanks!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyEyeDoc2020 View Post
    We recently dispensed a Varilux X to a patient who had previously worn the Ovation because he wanted a "better, wider, progressive". He thinks the Ovation was wider. Is that possible? What's going on? It's the same frame, PD, Seg Ht and only a slightly different RX (which we checked and he does like better). Why would anyone prefer an Ovation to an X? Does it have anything to do with "hard" vs "soft" progressive design?
    Thanks!
    Digital lenses like the X have the base curves decided by computer algorithms, where as an older lens like ovation you can specify the curve. I have one customer who I tried with the X Fit lens and he just could not accept it. Did a little digging and we had made a pair of glasses for him 10 years earlier and I had the invoice scanned in our system. Copied the base curve from the old pair and put him in a comfort 2 and he was happy as a clam.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The modern digital designs are just too different from the old grinders. These people who have been wearing ancient designs for so long are so habitualized to those designs that any significant change will be unwelcome. If you want to upgrade I would start with even a traditional Comfort, or maybe the digital Comforts if you want to push.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DanLiv View Post
    The modern digital designs are just too different from the old grinders. These people who have been wearing ancient designs for so long are so habitualized to those designs that any significant change will be unwelcome. If you want to upgrade I would start with even a traditional Comfort, or maybe the digital Comforts if you want to push.
    I've literally never found this to be the case in my dispensing. There used be an old quack of a doctor that would tell all of his patients that these fancy new fandangled digital lenses don't work. He and his staff tried them and said they were the worst lenses they ever used. All of his patients would come in and request non-digital lenses. I would offer them all the same policy. Let me make whatever lenses I choose. If they don't like it, I'll refund them the cost and remake to whatever they want, no charge. No one ever came back for the remake.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Welcome to OptiBoard!

I agree with Dan. I have a few patients that no matter what will not allow me to change an old design even though we know if worn long enough they will adjust to the better design. I also readily admit that Kwill's (and Dan's) knowledge and skills are greater than mine but I'm to old and crotchety at this point to work any harder than I am now to change.

You could say I am an "Electric Optician" and take the path of least resistance.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwill212 View Post
    I've literally never found this to be the case in my dispensing. There used be an old quack of a doctor that would tell all of his patients that these fancy new fandangled digital lenses don't work. He and his staff tried them and said they were the worst lenses they ever used. All of his patients would come in and request non-digital lenses. I would offer them all the same policy. Let me make whatever lenses I choose. If they don't like it, I'll refund them the cost and remake to whatever they want, no charge. No one ever came back for the remake.
    Even with old crotchety men that hate change you put them in a new digital lens? I'm always so averse to remakes so if they absolutely love the lens they are in I am keeping them in it if I know what it is.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyEyeDoc2020 View Post
    Thanks!
    Was the old rx spherical and the new has cyl?

What are the rx's??

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by NAICITPO View Post
    Even with old crotchety men that hate change you put them in a new digital lens? I'm always so averse to remakes so if they absolutely love the lens they are in I am keeping them in it if I know what it is.
    Yes. I don't really care what type or brand of lens patients are wearing at all. It doesn't influence my fittings. The only reason I check their old lens style is to see what lenses people in my area are dispensing.

Thread Information