Thread: how do you decide numbers wise...

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

how do you decide numbers wise...

on how to bring in a new line. What are you looking for specifically? Margins? Cost of Goods? Do you compare with a line you are trying to replace? This is more a business side of optical and its something I never dove into in terms of formulas. I always based it off of how long since a frame has sold and if patients even try it on.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by iD View Post
    on how to bring in a new line. What are you looking for specifically? Margins? Cost of Goods? Do you compare with a line you are trying to replace? This is more a business side of optical and its something I never dove into in terms of formulas. I always based it off of how long since a frame has sold and if patients even try it on.
    I don't like the statement, "I feel like this isn't selling." We all have a system that can tell us exactly what brands and what frames are selling, don't be lazy.

How often the line turns over is what I look for. So if you stock 20 flexon frames ideally I want to sell at a minimum 40 a year. For comparison our top selling lines are 4-5X turnover. There are lines we keep that are less than 2 times but they fit a need ie, large/small frames, safety glasses, sports goggles etc. Suns in general tend to not turnover as much for us as well because we sell so many more ophthalmic but I like to look at the suns based on how well they are selling against their other suns if we are going to discontinue a line.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Our software has metrics that show us what is actually moving and what isn't. You can even just view by individual frame.

I like to be realistic about what price points my customer base is looking for. Obviously we want to keep cost of goods low and margins high but you have to make sure it's actually going to appeal to your patients/customers. Brand recognition might be a factor.
    Krystle

Thread Information