Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: Rimless drill charges

  1. #1
    What's up? drk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Posts
    8,815

    Rimless drill charges

    I just got socked with a $35 three-piece rimless drill charge on a lens-only order.

    I normally absorb the cost of the drill charge when I supply the frame...we use only the expensive three-piece frames and there's room in the margin, is the thinking.

    But on a lens-only order (and I didn't even sell the original frame...)?

    How do you handle drilling charges?

  2. #2
    Master OptiBoarder
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Oakville
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    823
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    I just got socked with a $35 three-piece rimless drill charge on a lens-only order.

    I normally absorb the cost of the drill charge when I supply the frame...we use only the expensive three-piece frames and there's room in the margin, is the thinking.

    But on a lens-only order (and I didn't even sell the original frame...)?

    How do you handle drilling charges?
    I handle it the same way you do if I supply the frame. If I don't supply the frame I charge and if I supplied the frame and it's lenses only I charge.

    Regards,

    Golfnorth

  3. #3
    Master OptiBoarder
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    usa
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    836
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    I just got socked with a $35 three-piece rimless drill charge on a lens-only order.


    How do you handle drilling charges?
    Buy an edger

  4. #4
    Master OptiBoarder
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    PA
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    1,607
    We have a separate drill mount charge. Every office I have worked at has had it as a separate charge. It's an extra step the lab has to do so they're going to charge you every time they have to do it. Patient's understand that. It hasn't ever been an issue. It's explained that way when they buy the frame.

  5. #5
    Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    At a position without dimension...
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    5,080
    Drilled rimless V2799 $85
    Grooved rimless $30

    If managed care drilled lenses only assembled by me additional $20 non dis-countable.

  6. #6
    Master OptiBoarder
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    PA
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    1,607
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    Drilled rimless V2799 $85
    Grooved rimless $30

    If managed care drilled lenses only assembled by me additional $20 non dis-countable.
    We charge less than that but I found out that Davis charge for Rimless Drill was more than what we charge, so I guess the price should go up. Our grooved is the same price.

  7. #7
    OptiBoardaholic KrystleClear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2021
    Location
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    261
    We charge $70 for drilled & mounted. That also includes a satin edge polish. Maybe that's too much but the people who are die hard drilled rimless wearers expect their glasses to be expensive. We also charge for the difference in price for poly and trivex versus Cr39 with drilled rimless orders.
    Krystle

  8. #8
    Master OptiBoarder
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    PA
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    1,607
    I know a lot of people do A La Carte with their charges. That's how we do it. Trivex is x, Drill is x, AR is x, Progressive is x. We do not charge for satin edge but we charge for high gloss polish (which I despise). It would not be a bad idea to have a drill mount package price option. Just a few thoughts.

    We charge for the material separate. I will say that there are times I use poly, trivex and 1.67 depending on the situation. YES... always trivex preferred, but there are some special situations that require I change that. I just make sure the patient is educated about the upsides and downsides and risks.

  9. #9
    OptiWizard
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Earth
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    324
    We didn't start charging for drill mounts until our lab started charging us for them. Like always, the poop rolls down hill to the customer.

  10. #10
    Master OptiBoarder
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    usa
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    836
    Quote Originally Posted by mervinek View Post
    We have a separate drill mount charge. Every office I have worked at has had it as a separate charge. It's an extra step the lab has to do so they're going to charge you every time they have to do it. Patient's understand that. It hasn't ever been an issue. It's explained that way when they buy the frame.
    Do you give them a discount for not having to bevel the lens then??? It's an extra step the lab doesn't have to do...

  11. #11
    Master OptiBoarder
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    California
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    2,753
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwill212 View Post
    Do you give them a discount for not having to bevel the lens then??? It's an extra step the lab doesn't have to do...
    That's not true, the edge needs finished either flat or beveled.

  12. #12
    Master OptiBoarder
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    PA
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    1,607
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwill212 View Post
    Do you give them a discount for not having to bevel the lens then??? It's an extra step the lab doesn't have to do...
    We do not charge additional for a standard bevel edge. (Zyl and Metal frames).

  13. #13
    Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Maryland
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Posts
    1,178
    If the drill frame was sold at one of our locations, no charge, as it’s built into pricing.
    We do charge for POF 3 piece, as there is additional labor involved in plotting holes properly. Some 3 piece are real pains.
    I bend light. That is what I do.

  14. #14
    Master OptiBoarder
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    PA
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    1,607
    Quote Originally Posted by lensmanmd View Post
    We do charge for POF 3 piece, as there is additional labor involved in plotting holes properly. Some 3 piece are real pains.
    Although a lot of labs have computers to drill the holes (especially for companies like Silhouettes) there are still some companies that are a pain in the behind. We do not differentiate and neither does our lab. A drill is a drill is a drill notch...all the same, price wise.

  15. #15
    What's up? drk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Posts
    8,815
    "and mount"

  16. #16
    Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Maryland
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Posts
    1,178
    Quote Originally Posted by mervinek View Post
    Although a lot of labs have computers to drill the holes (especially for companies like Silhouettes) there are still some companies that are a pain in the behind. We do not differentiate and neither does our lab. A drill is a drill is a drill notch...all the same, price wise.
    Ya. Tabco is a good resource. All of our vendors provide this data, so we can program LMS and/drill edgers. It’s the POFs that require labor hrs to properly plot, esp the notch/nut n bolt one offs. Some actually require a manual drill.
    I bend light. That is what I do.

  17. #17
    Master OptiBoarder
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    PA
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    1,607
    Quote Originally Posted by lensmanmd View Post
    Ya. Tabco is a good resource. All of our vendors provide this data, so we can program LMS and/drill edgers. It’s the POFs that require labor hrs to properly plot, esp the notch/nut n bolt one offs. Some actually require a manual drill.
    Exactly!!!

  18. #18
    Master OptiBoarder
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    California
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    2,753
    DRK, you could drill them yourself. Frame companies provide the drilling charts at no charge. I am most certain that after you make an attempt at that, you will gladly pay the lab $35 to drill for you.

  19. #19
    Master OptiBoarder
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    PA
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    1,607
    Quote Originally Posted by CME4SPECS View Post
    you will gladly pay the lab $35 to drill for you.
    Yup. I used to work in the lab. Now I am happy to have the guys to it for me. Please take my money!

  20. #20
    What's up? drk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Posts
    8,815
    Ha ha.

  21. #21
    Master OptiBoarder DanLiv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    620
    You really do need to charge for drilling. For private pays your U&C fees may be enough profit to waive it, but since the managed care plans all started charging for drilling you can't afford to absorb that cost with the already slim margins.

    Quote Originally Posted by KrystleClear View Post
    We charge $70 for drilled & mounted. people who are die hard drilled rimless wearers expect their glasses to be expensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    Drilled rimless V2799 $85
    Nice, I need to charge more. My drill fees are leftover from 1999, basically just cover the lab cost.

    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    If managed care drilled lenses only assembled by me additional $20 non dis-countable.
    Smart, Fester.

  22. #22
    Master OptiBoarder
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    PA
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    1,607
    Davis plans charge $66 drilling fee. Our fees are less than that. I think ours are from 1999 too. Prob should be changed.

  23. #23
    OptiBoard Professional
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    space
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    189
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwill212 View Post
    Buy an edger
    Savage

  24. #24
    OptiBoard Novice
    Join Date
    Apr 2022
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    4
    We do not have an in house lab so we're sending everything out to our local lab, but we charge $70 for drill and $20 for grooved

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Santinelli Less Stress Drill Rimless Drill Complete Kit, DVD + Bits
    By David_Garza in forum Optical Marketplace
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-28-2010, 12:25 PM
  2. Drill mounts/rimless?
    By Globaloptique in forum General Optics and Eyecare Discussion Forum
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 02-02-2010, 04:29 PM
  3. silhoutte rimless drill
    By Leighlee in forum General Optics and Eyecare Discussion Forum
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 06-05-2008, 06:16 AM
  4. Trivex or 1.67 in Rimless drill mt.
    By jeffsoptical in forum General Optics and Eyecare Discussion Forum
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 07-26-2006, 03:20 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •