Thread: Morbid question regarding death of an OD

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician

Morbid question regarding death of an OD

Here's a little background, I am the office manager for a private OD in Washington state. He is getting close to retirement age, and recently met with an Lawyer regarding a will. The Lawyer asked what would happen with the practice if the OD passed away, his reply was that it would be up to the executor of the will and the office manager to figure that out.

I do not have an LDO (I've been in the field for 15 years), WA requires an LDO, or working under an OD to dispense glasses and contacts. In this horrible situation, could I keep the practice open for patients to get their glasses and contacts as well as settle business affairs, or would I have to hire an LDO to take care of the dispensing. Has anyone been in this type of situation?.

Thank you.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Don’t worry, they don’t have “Optical Police” there. Heck, they barely have any police there.

Seriously, if you need to finalize delivery of already paid/deposited glasses, just do it. It should go quickly, especially when patients are told they have a limited time for p/u. The “Optical Police “ won’t be able to descend on you prior to closing. Also, after the fact, I can’t imagine any board of disciplinary action would side against the short term, final delivery of glasses. ( especially if you inform at p/u for patients to seek out a licensed Optician for any future needs.)

Welcome to OB 425!
    Last edited by optical24/7; 08-09-2022 at 04:37 PM.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Thank you for the quick answer, and honestly that's what I'm pretty much planning on doing...I'm just the type of guy that always crosses in the crosswalks with the light regardless of traffic.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Your welcome, and you might want to seek out licensure. There are easier avenues today than in the past. Check out the NAO, they have apprenticeship programs that can fast track you. Good luck on future Opticianry!

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    I live on the East side of WA state, previously to sit for the LDO exam you had to go all the way to Seattle and it was a two day test, which also means hotel stay. I had fulfilled my apprenticeship hours (one of the reasons I work under an OD now) and am confident I could passed both parts, but I could never find the time or money, but within the last year or two in WA, they have linked the LDO to the basic and practical ABO and NCLE tests...so really i have have no excuse, as those are offered in Spokane.

Rising Star OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I would think the most value would be to sell to another OD sooner rather than later. I'd also think that a semi-local OD might be interested in filling in in a pinch like that, especially one who wanted to start a practice in the area. Not always easy to find.

The exact day I drove to my state capital to apply for paperwork to establish an LLC to start my own office was the same day I got a call from my old OD office I observed at in college. He was in taken to the hospital and didn't recover, and he even had a partner. I am sure she was in a bit of a panic mode, but it worked out for her and I never ended up helping them.

Thread Information