Thread: Today's photochromics

Occupation
    Optometrist

Today's photochromics

https://transitionscampus.com/en

I did the course and will be getting a nice, new demonstrator unit.

I have a pair of Transitions Gen 8, and I gotta say they're pretty good. (I think I'm going to put a blue blocker AR on my next pair, so that when they darken it looks all flash-coaty).

Is it time to show photochromics some LOVE?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Until they can work in the car I see them as a niche option. We still get complaints that they don't lighten fast enough and don't get dark enough for driving.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I still don't much care for them today for the same myriad reasons I've not cared for them in the past. Residual tint, very slooooow to change, temp sensitive, non-polar, expensive, etc. But there are a small subset of pts who like the option. We'll happily make them when asked, but they're not a common ask.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I like them more so for fashion than function. Funnily enough, I was having this talk with a patient earlier about why their polarized sunglasses will always feel darker than their transitions.
    I gotta say that the XtraActive transitions are pretty quick for change time, but that residual tint indoors is a lot. I've also only worn them during the summer, so a winter experiment for change time might affect my opinion.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    I still don't much care for them today for the same myriad reasons I've not cared for them in the past. Residual tint, very slooooow to change, temp sensitive, non-polar, expensive, etc. But there are a small subset of pts who like the option. We'll happily make them when asked, but they're not a common ask.
    How did you not mention that they also block blue light?? How can you forget this important function of photochromatics??

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by NAICITPO View Post
    How did you not mention that they also block blue light?? How can you forget this important function of photochromatics??

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have Transition Xtractive Gray with the Green Mirror. I use them when I'm not wearing contacts with my plano Burberry suns.

Rising Star OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Anyone have any real world experience with the difference in the transition time going outside or coming inside in a Transition 6 that is 4-5yrs old vs a fresh new pair of Transition 8?

I always get the impression that people who complain are more likely to have older lenses utilizing an older version. I'm interested to see what my new Transition 8 lenses do. My last pair had the frame split in half in about two weeks and I was too lazy to fix them.

I also had a patient recently tell me they work great inside a car when she opens her window. I don't think this a great answer during a heat wave or extreme cold most of us experience large parts of the year.

We make them available, and the people who like them get them year after year. It kinda sucks having to point out the honest, real-world experiences beforehand to avoid new patients throwing them at us a week later. I'm sure that has a role in their continued niche role. Super light sensitive people seem to generally like them and people who keep losing clipons.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't wear transitions myself, but I can tell you the new xtra active polarized transitions has been a big hit here with my patients. Although they are not totally clear indoors (stole Dr K's suggestion of "comfort tint"), the fact that they change in the car to a polarized lens is VERY well received.

***and thank's Dr K for the "comfort tint" suggestion...works well.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I stole it.

Remember, all the blue-light zombies are looking through about a 10% "tint" as well. It's the rage.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    I stole it.
    Noice!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Do the latest "Vantage" or whatever the marketing geniuses came up with this round shown to get anything more than a flacid 30-50% polarized efficiency with this most recent attempt?

The last one's we tried were laughably bad. I can't imagine the technical difficulties trying to engineer that tech into anything even remotely resembling a true polar filter, but their initial claims were....well, they left a LOT to be desired. Particularly at double the cost of a very good traditional polar filter. Either way, good to hear you've got a number of patients who seem to like it!

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    Do the latest "Vantage" or whatever the marketing geniuses came up with this round shown to get anything more than a flacid 30-50% polarized efficiency with this most recent attempt?

The last one's we tried were laughably bad. I can't imagine the technical difficulties trying to engineer that tech into anything even remotely resembling a true polar filter, but their initial claims were....well, they left a LOT to be desired. Particularly at double the cost of a very good traditional polar filter. Either way, good to hear you've got a number of patients who seem to like it!
    We were told 90% polarization at full activation.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Sledzinator View Post
    We were told 90% polarization at full activation.
    I recall something similar with the original lauch being claimed as well. Reality ended up at 50-60%. Certainly hope they've fixed that, although 90% is better, it's not 100% - a perceptible difference for may eyeballs.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Oooh! I am totally signing up to become "certified" in Transitions! Lol. In all seriousness, I like these continuing education things even if they are just marketing. I'll drink all the Kool-Aid I can get if it helps me learn new sales strategies. ANDDDDD - you get a lapel pin apparently.

I guess I am a unique case, because I sell Transitions A LOT. My patients are older, and they don't care that Transitions are seen as "uncool" (like "dad" sneakers). I'm almost never able to convince anyone under 30 to add it to their lenses though, due to the uncool factor (unless they're Amish or Mennonite). The new colors for Transitions Signature have been doing well for me, too. I sell a lot of the Sapphire, Amethyst, and Amber. Occasionally I do hear the complaint that they are slow to change. It's true, they do still take like 5 to 6 minutes to return to completely clear, depending on the temperature, but within a minute or two it's at least lightened enough that you aren't tripping over furniture or anything. I have had complaints about the Xtra Active Transitions because they always have a slight tint indoors, do I make sure to tell people that before hand.
    Krystle

OptiBoardaholic OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We have always sold alot of transitions and the xtractive, the vantage not at all. I've noticed on some patients older transition lenses, they eventually stop getting totally clear indoors and the tint indoors will be much darker than the xtractive "comfort tint."

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm fairly new to this forum but not new to the industry. I took and passed my ABO exam in 1979 and have owned my optical shop for 35 years. I remember when American Optical introduced Photolite, what a disappointment. Photochromic lenses have come a long way since then. Our Transitions sales run between 35% and 40%, we all wear them in one form or another. With proper education to the patient, there are few rejects.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by KrystleClear View Post
    I'm almost never able to convince anyone under 30 to add it to their lenses though, due to the uncool factor (unless they're Amish or Mennonite). The new colors for Transitions Signature have been doing well for me, too. I sell a lot of the Sapphire, Amethyst, and Amber.
    I wish the Transition Signature colors were available with VSP. I think I could put a lot more people under 30 in them if they could choose the color they wanted and it wasn't grey or brown.

Thread Information