Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Acuity Eye Care Group...

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm old school and would not work under a contract.

Never have. Never will.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    What can be so bad that's in the contract?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I always get a contract Always. And it's nice to have right now. We were told our pay etc will stay the same. But I literally have half the PTO I had before! That's not right. They supposedly promised to keep that all the same for us, but a whole bunch of stuff is changing. I have a coworker that has been here for 17 years. This year was especially hard since she lost her husband to cancer. She took a leave of absence for about 1-2 months. New company is telling her she can't enroll in the 401k for a year because she hasn't worked enough hours to be eligible. 17 years and then that? What the heck! I get it, it's a new company and they can do what they want... but they told us that our benefits and pay would not change. I'm sure they said that so people won't quit. My understanding about another office in the area that was bought by the same company had 3 people quit the next day. Wouldn't shock me.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Let's think this through. There's only one reason why someone with capital is interested in buying health care offices. If it's a hospital system, it's for feeder clinics. If it's some private equity group, it's to buy the business, make the "numbers" look better, then flip it.

No, not to do better health care. No, not to keep it and get rich managing eye care with its "fantastic" margins. Nope.

So, they'll come in, and they'll probably attack the top P&L items:
    COGS
    Payroll
    Overhead

Shore those up about 10-20% and you are a miracle worker.

Then attack "sales" (spit!).

Then sell to the next equity group. Maybe Anthem. Maybe VSP. Probably France and Italy's governments...I mean, Essilux.

These private equity groups are liars. They sell a fantasy to the ODs/MDs. They buy them off, big-time. (I think it would be nice, of course.)

In the absence of practice buyers (that is, committed, young, hardworking males with not so much debt)(unicorns) and a plethora of employment-minded "quasi-doctors" (a bunch of young lady grads who want to be mommies and careerists but can't/won't put in the ridiculous risk/effort to be entrepreneurial, and their companion "dudes" whom will barely get off their video games and mountain bikes to put in a 25-hr work week), we're going to see simply a replaying of the 1980's when doctors were pilloried for "going commercial": just working for the man.

We're all Lenscrafters, now.

(Except Lenscrafters. They've failed.)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It does feel very Lenscrafters... minus the one hour stuff. Another thing they told us is since another office nearby was bought out, we can go there to work when our Dr is out on vacation and then we won't have to lose hours with forced vacation. Um ok. So just another question to ask. Are there any offices near by that are run by the same company?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter ak47's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Okay....its eight months later.....has anything changed? New opinions?

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    Essilor now owns 100% of Shamir.

I'm being told that EssiLux is not the ringmaster of the change I fear I am entering.

I'm hearing now that despite what I was told (and my doc may believe) that nothing in the office changes for several months.

I think otherwise so we'll see.
    Let's just say things changed...

Incredibly steep learning curve for the office to changes from independent to corporate.

So far I'm hanging in there but I am so close to retirement I want to cry over how much the hamster wheel has now sped up...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    Let's just say things changed...

Incredibly steep learning curve for the office to changes from independent to corporate.

So far I'm hanging in there but I am so close to retirement I want to cry over how much the hamster wheel has now sped up...

Sorry to hear that. As retirement creeps nearer and the finish line is in sight.....things should get smoother, not harder.

Hang in there!

Occupation
    Optometrist
    The Ghost of Fezz has wafted through Optiboard...

...or is it a cyber clone bot?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    To touch on the subject, EssilorLuxottica is doing the same with their TeamVision branch. Acquiring private practices and completely converting them to their systems, labs, everything. We just had a large private practice here go that route, and it was a mess. People started leaving by the droves.

Thread Information