Thread: In search of the Kasperek "Elijah" frame

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

In search of the Kasperek "Elijah" frame

This is a long shot, but... I have a patient who is unable to leave the nursing home due to medical issues and broke his frames. He hasn't had an exam since 2015 and can't come in for a new RX. Can't go to the nursing home myself due to COVID restrictions to try and fit him with a new frame and take lens measurements. Our doctor is in surgery today and unlikely he would be okay with us filling the RX again.He needs the Kasperek "Elijah" frame in the 55 eye, 18 bridge, 145 temple. Don't care what color it is. It has been discontinued by Kasperek, apparently. Looking for someone who has it and would be willing to sell it to the patient's daughter and ship it. I would give the patient your information to get in touch.Apparently they are still wearable although taped. If all else fails, we'll shave down the lenses and try to fit in a new frame, but I hate to take his glasses away for several days to have the lenses reshaped. (We don't do any edging in house.)Thank you!!!
    Krystle

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Offer the daughter a similar frame and make a new pair.

If your Doc won't renew an rx for an elderly nursing home bound (probably bed bound) patient claiming broken or no glasses are better than a very old rx shame on your doctor.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Our office always approves an expired Rx for someone who can't leave a nursing home. Very few exceptions. If it's a FT rx, you can guess the SH (I always tell them that I can't get measurements with out their noggin so this is an estimate...and I error low since most nursing home patients are in bed watching tv). Ask questions about the patient's condition to see how to best estimate the SH. Hopefully you have PDs on file. You can also guestimate frame style and size with their old broken one. (Oh... and I always do poly or trivex since nursing home patients tend to be hard on the glasses staff members step on them and the get dropped...plus they're safer in case of falls)

Good luck!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It would be a lot easier if I knew what the broken frame looks like. This was a phone call, so I have nothing to go off of. It's long discontinued and I can't find any photos online to know what general shape it is. If I had the frame, I honestly would just fill it and not even say anything to the doctor, BUT the patient's daughter got the front desk involved because at first when she called she wanted them to print the RX from 2015 so she could take it and order something elsewhere closer to home. (The daughter and the patient are about 30 miles away and the daughter doesn't want to make the trip down here). The other option is just picking out a frame, guessing the measurements and hoping for the best. Not to be offensive, but if he is 95, bed bound, and with severe Parkinsons, I don't think he is doing a lot of reading, so I can just guess low for the flattop segment or do SV. Patient's daughter isn't really doing much to help me though.
    Krystle

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would let the daughter know there is only so much you can do without having the patient in the office... If they brought the frame in, you would have an idea what he needs but can't do much without that. I mean, if it's a 55 eye you can kind of guess the size he needs but no idea shape wise. Do you even know if it is a metal or zyl? Do you have Pds? Do you know what lab made the lenses? Our lab has tracings stored so you can pull up the invoice and see the shape. That makes is a bit easier to guess how to replace to make it close to the old. Without that? Who knows. If the daughter isn't willing to bring in the glasses to help you help them, there is only so much you can do. Sucky situation.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    Offer the daughter a similar frame and make a new pair.

If your Doc won't renew an rx for an elderly nursing home bound (probably bed bound) patient claiming broken or no glasses are better than a very old rx shame on your doctor.
    +1

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Can't they text you a picture of him and/or the glasses?

Thread Information