Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exotic color photochromic lenses

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Exotic color photochromic lenses

Do vibrant fun color photochromics exist anymore? I'm familiar with the Transitions colors, but they are not very colorful at all, just slightly shifted towards the claimed color in the same way G-15 is slightly shifted to green. I have a customer who wants a fun pink or purple photochromic and claims she's seen them on others. What she saw could easily be some cheap but fun-looking thing someone got from Zenni. Now she wants that from me and I don't know where to get it, neither does my (Essilor) lab know about any current product. I seem to remember Hoya having some in recent years? I haven't dealt with Hoya so that's just rumor I picked up. Anyone have a source for those?

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by DanLiv View Post
    Do vibrant fun color photochromics exist anymore? I'm familiar with the Transitions colors, but they are not very colorful at all, just slightly shifted towards the claimed color in the same way G-15 is slightly shifted to green. I have a customer who wants a fun pink or purple photochromic and claims she's seen them on others. What she saw could easily be some cheap but fun-looking thing someone got from Zenni. Now she wants that from me and I don't know where to get it, neither does my (Essilor) lab know about any current product. I seem to remember Hoya having some in recent years? I haven't dealt with Hoya so that's just rumor I picked up. Anyone have a source for those?
    Sounds like a job for TRANSITIONS SPLITZ!
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My lab still has the Transition Mirrors available in polycarb, but thats the closest thing I can think of in fun transitions colours. As far as I can see Hoya's Sensity line only does grey, brown, and grey-green, though they also have mirror options with Sensity Shine.
    I've seen non-RX photochromic colours on fashion glasses (Rayban Evolve lenses for example), but nothing fun and RXable.

In the manufacturing process could a lens be given a light tint, then have a photochromic coating applied? Or is that space cadet thinking?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Transitions has Style Colors in Emerald, Sapphire, Amethyst and Amber.
    transitions.com/gen8

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by ODoS_HBB View Post
    In the manufacturing process could a lens be given a light tint, then have a photochromic coating applied? Or is that space cadet thinking?
    Photochromics are are built into the lens blanks, so that would have to be first. But one can tint over that. Maybe my customer would like a pink tint lens that transitions to regular gray or brown. Of course now a bunch of labs are refusing to do tints on photochromics, so I'll have to get it from a lab that doesn't mind playing fast and loose.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by ODoS_HBB View Post
    This is from many years ago by a PPG Industries executive and Optiboard guru.

Post #6

https://www.optiboard.com/forums/sho...695#post359695

OptiBoardaholic OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Zeiss has a blue or pioneer green photofusion lenses but I have not dispensed either.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yes they do. Luzerne offers its FreeFocus SV and PALs Photo-Fashion in plum, chili pepper red, lemon yellow, green apple, berry blue, and tangerine as well as grey and brown. They are also available with a mirror coating.

I am a rep.
    Last edited by Judy Canty; 06-26-2022 at 02:55 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Whenever someone says no to adding Transitions to their lenses, I have been letting them know they expanded their color selection and I show them the new colors. A lot of times, especially with women, they change their mind. I have been selling the Transitions Sapphire and Amethyst a lot. I wish there were more vibrant colors. Rayban has a few photochromic lenses in their "Evolve" collection. Some go from clear to colored, and some start out with a medium tint that can be worn indoors and get darker in the sun. We just got one in that is a grey to pink gradient that gets darker in the sun. I want to buy it for myself so badly.
    Krystle

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty View Post
    Yes they do. Luzerne offers its FreeFocus SV and PALs Photo-Fashion in plum, chili pepper red, lemon yellow, green apple, berry blue, and tangerine as well as grey and brown. They are also available with a mirror coating.

I am a rep.
    I had no idea that was a thing! I am totally going to order a SV with chili pepper red for myself.
    Krystle

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Are these actually Transitions or generic photochromics?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Gilman View Post
    Are these actually Transitions or generic photochromics?
    Luzerne's PhotoFashion photochromics are available in our proprietary FreeFocus designs.
    Transitions colors are available from us as well.
    I am a rep.

OptiBoard Professional OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    We have semi finished Red, orange, yellow, blue, green, and purple 1.56 as well as plano's. Just a FYI

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Luzerne's PhotoFashion photochromics are available in our proprietary FreeFocus designs.
    Transitions colors are available from us as well.
    I am a rep.
    These are IOT designs right?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I just opened my account with Luzerne and am ordering my demo kit, these look great!! Thanks Judy!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2022-06-30 153105.png 
Views:	36 
Size:	79.5 KB 
ID:	15094

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yes. Customized for Luzerne.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yes. Customized for Luzerne.
    I'm interested. Customized how? Also is the color chart Dan posted correct. Do the colors start with significant coloration then just get darker or do they go from clear to full colors?

OptiBoard Professional OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Yes

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwill212 View Post
    I'm interested. Customized how? Also is the color chart Dan posted correct. Do the colors start with significant coloration then just get darker or do they go from clear to full colors?
    As I stated, the designs are proprietary, which means that if I told you then I'd have to kill you. And yes, the colors pictured are accurate. There is a definite color and they darken from there. They come with our AGT A/R treatment and are also available with a mirror if wanted.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    As I stated, the designs are proprietary, which means that if I told you then I'd have to kill you.
    Wow, OK. So just the name of the lens is customized then, got it.

How do you expect educated optician to buy and or sell a lens if you aren't going to give them the information about it? It's not like I want you to send me a zip drive with the LMS/LDS files on it. You aren't even willing to explain what the end user difference between the stock IOT design and your "customized" version? Why would want want a FreeFocus lens over a Camber lens, or an Endless lens? Does Luzerne think it has improved the IOT designs, or have they cut back the design and are offered at a lower price point than a stock IOT design? What is the purpose of the customization? I don't think it a "proprietary" thing to tell people what your product does or doesn't do.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Wow, OK. So just the name of the lens is customized then, got it.

How do you expect educated optician to buy and or sell a lens if you aren't going to give them the information about it? It's not like I want you to send me a zip drive with the LMS/LDS files on it. You aren't even willing to explain what the end user difference between the stock IOT design and your "customized" version? Why would want want a FreeFocus lens over a Camber lens, or an Endless lens? Does Luzerne think it has improved the IOT designs, or have they cut back the design and are offered at a lower price point than a stock IOT design? What is the purpose of the customization? I don't think it a "proprietary" thing to tell people what your product does or doesn't do.
    I'm not going to play this game with you Kwill. Open an account. Try the lens. You get to decide how well it works. Simple.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Game? As a lab rep you can't or won't tell us about your lenses, or you don't know. None of those are very good. What an unreal response from a lab/lens rep. Don't you dare ask me any questions, just buy it!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	obi-wan.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	36.8 KB 
ID:	15101

This is the account you want to open...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Game? As a lab rep you can't or won't tell us about your lenses, or you don't know. None of those are very good. What an unreal response from a lab/lens rep. Don't you dare ask me any questions, just buy it!
    FreeFocus™ Camber
    State-of-the-art digital lens design combined with sophisticated new lens blank technology.

Premium digital lens with high optical performance and expanded Rx range

Significantly improved reading zone

Extended peripheral vision

Better cosmetics (thinner) on some prescriptions
    FreeFocus digital lenses are now available with Camber Technology, representing a breakthrough in combining digital processing with an innovative new lens blank design. The specially designed Camber lens blank fea- tures an increasing base curve that provides the optically correct curvature in each zone of the lens. This allows expanded reading zones with improved peripheral vision. The advanced, digitally designed back surface can be comprehensively customized to each patient through a complete set of individualization parameters. Complex curves on both surfaces of the lens work together to provide excellent vision correction and a progressive lens experience like no other.
    FreeFocus™ HD
    A cutting edge design with optimized and compensated technology that gives the most demanding wearers clear, wide, and high resolution vision at any distance. Your patients will appreciate this premium all-purpose personalized progressive lens. Available in variable or fixed designs.
    FreeFocus™
    An excellent all-purpose digital progressive design that gives wearers great clarity in all fields. This lens with its wide near and far zones is sure to please your patients. This 100% digital backside design is calculated to match your prescribed Rx for easy verification. Available in variable or fixed designs.
    FreeFocus™ PC
    FreeFocus PC is an advanced digital office lens that offers your patients wide, near, and intermediate visual fields. Viewing distance can be customized with a choice of:

FreeFocus PC13: allows for a viewing distance of 4 feet.

FreeFocus PC20: allows for a viewing distance of 6.5 feet.

FreeFocus PC40: allows for a viewing distance of 13 feet.
    Great choices for computer users, office work, writers, readers, musicians, artists, mechanics and many others. Available in a wide variety of materials unlike most office lenses. Near vision point is placed at 14mm below the pupil and 65% of the degression is reached at the pupil. To select the ideal degression, our software will factor the type of FreeFocus PC design you choose along with the patient’s Rx. Minimum fitting height 18mm.
    FreeFocus™ SV
    A cutting-edge digitally optimized and compensated single vision freeform design that offers improved clarity in all gaze directions. Improved peripheral vision over standard single vision. Give your single vision patients total personalization along with thinner and lighter lenses. Available in many materials.
    FreeFocus™ AF
    These enhanced single vision lenses help eliminate visual fatigue for many near and intermediate visual tasks like reading, using a computer/tablet, cell phone or playing video games. Ideal for wearers who spend time at near vision and have visual fatigue symptoms. FreeFocus AF 50 & AF 75 are available in all lens materials and provide a small bump in the sphere power at the bottom of the lens so the eyes don’t have to work as hard and can relax. The lenses are further enhanced when ordered in TheraBlue.

Feel better now? For future reference, I use my real name. You don't. I don't OWE you any information.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Feel better now?
    I didn't feel bad to begin with, but the big copypasta tells us literally nothing we didn't already know. This is all bog standard IOT stuff and tells us nothing about the "proprietary" Luzerne versions of the lenses. I had one simple question. How, and for what purpose, has Luzerne customized the IOT designs? That's simply all I was curious about. If there is a better lens available, why wouldn't I want to know more about it. But for some reason you seem not willing to share. Most every manufacturer in any industry with a custom product is happy to tell the world about it, customer or not, especially since I'm not the only person reading the responses here.

For future reference, I use my real name. You don't. I don't OWE you any information.
    Uh oh, red alert. Someone call the internet police, there's an anonymous person here! You don't owe me a thing, but if your going to promote your products I don't think it's out of line to ask some simple questions about them, and get a better response than, "it's a secret". Damn me and my questioning attitude.

Thread Information