Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27

Thread: Polar PALs in....GREEN!

  1. #1
    What's up? drk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Posts
    8,645

    Polar PALs in....GREEN!

    Anyone? Bueller?

  2. #2
    Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Maryland
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Posts
    1,142
    Green or G-15?
    Zeiss makes them. IOT makes them. I’m sure Ess does, too.
    I bend light. That is what I do.

  3. #3
    What's up? drk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Posts
    8,645
    Oh baby. I have a Zeiss account. I'll look there.

  4. #4
    Master OptiBoarder
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    California
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    2,741
    Luzerne has one in a Freefocus Freeform

  5. #5
    Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Seaford, NY USA
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    5,925
    Zeiss’s polar green is closer to G15

    B

  6. #6
    What's up? drk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Posts
    8,645
    Thanks, Barry. She DOES want a brighter green...so I'll keep looking.

  7. #7
    Master OptiBoarder
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    usa
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    779
    If she wants a specific green other than what is available for "g15" on any backside lens, get a polar grey A and dye it to whatever green color you want.

  8. #8
    What's up? drk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Posts
    8,645
    You can do that? That's optical genius.

  9. #9
    Master OptiBoarder
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    usa
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    779
    Sure. Just have to be careful with heat/time/temp etc. I would send a sample and let the lab do it honestly. My dye pot is so infrequently used these days, I'm thinking of getting rid of it.

  10. #10
    Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Seaford, NY USA
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    5,925
    Essilor KbCo “Grass” is green—but maybe not the green you’re looking for.

  11. #11
    Rising Star
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    San Francisco
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwill212 View Post
    If she wants a specific green other than what is available for "g15" on any backside lens, get a polar grey A and dye it to whatever green color you want.
    ...although, the latest volleys of "Essilor hates Zeiss hating Hoya who hates Essilor for hating Zeiss while Zeiss is hating Hoya while Hoya hates Essilor... just, because...
    Many labs are now "unable" (incompetent, by force) of:
    Tinting transitions
    Tinting polarized
    Putting a blue blocking A/R on a transitions
    Or, any number of "easy to do" - but "we refuse" options
    ...puts a serious damper on what should be easily accomplished.

    So...it's possible, depending on who owns the lab you use.

    Good Luck!

  12. #12
    OptiBoard Apprentice
    Join Date
    May 2022
    Location
    Canada
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    12
    Does the Maui Jim HT lens work? I would call it Olive-y Green.

  13. #13
    Master OptiBoarder
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    usa
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    779
    Quote Originally Posted by MEB View Post
    ...although, the latest volleys of "Essilor hates Zeiss hating Hoya who hates Essilor for hating Zeiss while Zeiss is hating Hoya while Hoya hates Essilor... just, because...
    Many labs are now "unable" (incompetent, by force) of:
    Tinting transitions
    Tinting polarized
    Putting a blue blocking A/R on a transitions
    Or, any number of "easy to do" - but "we refuse" options
    ...puts a serious damper on what should be easily accomplished.

    So...it's possible, depending on who owns the lab you use.

    Good Luck!
    If any lab I used gave me an answer like that, I would not be using that lab anymore.

  14. #14
    What's up? drk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Posts
    8,645
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    Essilor KbCo “Grass” is green—but maybe not the green you’re looking for.
    Excellent. I will check it out!

  15. #15
    Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Maryland
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Posts
    1,142
    Quote Originally Posted by MEB View Post
    ...although, the latest volleys of "Essilor hates Zeiss hating Hoya who hates Essilor for hating Zeiss while Zeiss is hating Hoya while Hoya hates Essilor... just, because...
    Many labs are now "unable" (incompetent, by force) of:
    Tinting transitions
    Tinting polarized
    Putting a blue blocking A/R on a transitions
    Or, any number of "easy to do" - but "we refuse" options
    ...puts a serious damper on what should be easily accomplished.

    So...it's possible, depending on who owns the lab you use.

    Good Luck!
    Lab manager here.
    My 2 cents for perspective.
    Tinting transitions will void the warranty.
    HEV AR on transitions is an oxymoron. Photochromics block more HEV than any coating can. Period. It’s a waste of your patients’ money.
    Polarized C is designed as such for a reason. Adding tint to it compromises its usefulness. Want it darker? Mirror coat it.
    Easy to do? Sure. Loss of revenue from redos? Yep. It’s smart business.

    You just want free redos when your choices go south. That’s why most labs JUST SAY NO.
    I bend light. That is what I do.

  16. #16
    Master OptiBoarder DanLiv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    599
    Originally Posted by Barry Santini
    Essilor KbCo “Grass” is green—but maybe not the green you’re looking for.

    Excellent. I will check it out!


    I love KBco color and mirror options, I use them every chance I get!

    Here's the availability chart: https://www.kbco.net/Uploads/resourc...ailability.pdf

    If you have a lab that will do it and someone who doesn't mind experimenting I bet blue tint on the Sunflower could get you a brilliant green!

  17. #17
    Master OptiBoarder optical24/7's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Down on the Farm
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    5,587
    I would think polar yellow would be easiest to turn green. I don’t know if they still make polar yellow blanks.

  18. #18
    What's up? drk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Posts
    8,645
    This is a great discussion. We opted for a G15.

  19. #19
    Rising Star
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    San Francisco
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    51
    [QUOTE=You just want free redos when your choices go south. That’s why most labs JUST SAY NO.[/QUOTE]

    Hardly...
    I get your point, and its totally valid from a lab business standpoint.
    It's also valid from a manufacturer standpoint.
    And worse, from an optical professional standpoint.

    However, some of us have clients that "want what they want".
    And, some of us can deliver (warranty be damned) because we know how to accomplish it, without causing a "redo".

    You can tell them, till you're blue in the face, that Transitions block blue light, etc.


    They, simply don't care.
    They want what they want.
    They want darker polarized lenses.
    They want Blue light protection x's 3.
    They don't care about facts.
    And, most importantly, they don't care what they have to spend to get it.

    For those clients...(those of us who can, and know how to do it) we like to offer a solution.

    So, for those of us "who can", please don't try to say "You just want free redos when your choices go south".
    Because, at the end of the day...
    Your lab lost out, because you were afraid of a redo that never came.

  20. #20
    Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Maryland
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Posts
    1,142
    MEB
    Most of us on this platform are well regarded. And, we all know that our industry is full of McTicians that are not as wise as you.

    Just because you can doesn’t mean you should. I’m seriously happy that you can. Yes, we can. No, we won’t. It’s called professional ethics. Even if it’s not in the best interest of your clientele. Yes, I can be an A-Hole. My near 40 years of experience in this business allows me this arrogance.

    Our profession goes beyond order taking. We need to educate the consumers, which is undeniably a part of our profession, even if it means a loss of revenue.

    I’m not picking a fight. I appreciate your viewpoint, even if I disagree with it.



    Imagine being an MD, and acquiescing to your patient’s desires, instead of their true needs. Bye bye credentials. Hello malpractice.

    We are not used car sales. They want. They don’t care. Facts don’t matter. If that’s your business model, I would gladly refuse your account application. It’s not a loss. It’s a gain.
    I bend light. That is what I do.

  21. #21
    OptiBoardaholic
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    California
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Posts
    240
    Amen Lensmanmd. You are 100% correct. All warranties should be eliminated unless the retailer wants to cover the cost and we know that will never happen.

  22. #22
    Rising Star
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    San Francisco
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    51
    "I’m not picking a fight. I appreciate your viewpoint, even if I disagree with it."

    Noted. And understood.

    However...
    "My near 40 years of experience in this business allows me this arrogance. " - and so does my 34.

    " It’s called professional ethics. Even if it’s not in the best interest of your clientele." - Professional ethics IS in the best interest of your clientele, not your profit/loss statement.

    And, I agree, educating consumers is key, and have followed this for over 30 years. But, it's not always that simple or that easy.

    And, your analogy of "an MD, and acquiescing to your patient’s desires, instead of their true needs. Bye bye credentials. Hello malpractice." is sorely misplaced.
    My consumers desires go hand in hand with their needs, as well as their desires.

    I have a very large clientele that has followed me from my beginning at LensCrafters (1988) to my current private practice. Mainly, because I have always been able to meet their needs (or, simple wants).

    I can count, on one hand, those few who want "special consideration".
    And, it is people like you who are forcing me to ignore them.

    So maybe, get out on the "floor", deal with people, rather than your lab accounts.
    Then talk to me about my "business model".

  23. #23
    OptiBoardaholic
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    California
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Posts
    240
    MEB
    Who Is forcing you not to do something you said you can do it yourself. I guess having to pay for the redo when it didn’t meet the incorrect request of the customer is what is stopping you.
    If you learned the business at LC you learned the business of selling nothing more..LC was famous for selling Poly lenses and then charging for UV protection after all you got a bonus for selling Uv.

  24. #24
    Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Maryland
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Posts
    1,142
    "So maybe, get out on the "floor", deal with people, rather than your lab accounts." Who says that I have not been on the 'floor'? I have spent many years being an optician and managing the 'floor'. I have spent many years manufacturing eyewear without the aid of computers and CNC equipment, including surface layout. Thank you.

    "from my beginning at LensCrafters (1988) to my current private practice. Mainly, because I have always been able to meet their needs (or, simple wants)." Remember when LC forced you to sell poly for semi-rimless, speaking of "it is people like you who are forcing me to ignore them." Why? to lower remakes. PnL.

    "Professional ethics IS in the best interest of your clientele, not your profit/loss statement." This is sorely misplaced, as it seems that it IS in the best interest of your PnL. Professional Ethics is providing clients with solutions that meet their needs, and their desires, while educating them as to why certain combinations are not beneficial, regardless of their desires. Seriously, would you fit a client with a +10 in a 60 eye aviator because they "desire" it? If your answer is yes, then, no more questions.

    So, maybe, it is you that needs to understand the lab model (not LC lab), and how painfully low the margins are. Staff to answer questions for McTicians and managing call stacks. Staff to order and replenish stock. Staff to maintain and repair equipment. Staff to operate the equipment. Lead staff for specialty work and troubleshooting. Every consumable used in production.


    As I said, I wasn't picking a fight. My statement of "free redos" was a generalization, based on reality, which you took offense to, and here we are.
    I bend light. That is what I do.

  25. #25
    Rising Star
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    San Francisco
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by lensmanmd View Post
    "
    As I said, I wasn't picking a fight. My statement of "free redos" was a generalization, based on reality, which you took offense to, and here we are.
    You are absolutely correct.

    And, I apologize for my lack of focus.
    I derailed.
    That was, exactly, my knee jerk reaction: If done properly, there ARE no redo's. "Free" or otherwise.
    Though, your comment set me off because you insinuated/assumed I wanted something for free, which I would NEVER expect or want.
    I've been on the lab side too, I get it.


    Small Side Note: My PLC years were '88 to '96ish. Not ONCE were we ever directed to sell UV on poly. In fact, it was the very opposite.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Help with polar filters, are they ok?
    By dima in forum General Optics and Eyecare Discussion Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-19-2021, 09:27 PM
  2. change from PALs to short corridor PALs
    By cnet_baby in forum Progressive Lens Discussion Forum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-28-2011, 09:29 AM
  3. Who has D28 HIX polar brown?
    By braheem24 in forum General Optics and Eyecare Discussion Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-16-2009, 06:11 PM
  4. Polar Express is a take!
    By hcjilson in forum Just Conversation
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-14-2004, 05:42 AM
  5. Polar TX
    By Joann Raytar in forum General Optics and Eyecare Discussion Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-16-2002, 12:00 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •