Thread: Re-do timeframe

Occupation
    Optometrist

Re-do timeframe

I don't care what VSP says. I don't care what EyeMed says. I don't care if my lab has super-lenient policies. I'm trying to make a policy that makes empirical sense.

First of all, no therapy known to man needs more than 30 days to assess efficacy. I am trying to expand my view enough to consider things like diabetes medical therapy, glaucoma therapy, etc. I think 30 days is pretty solid.

So...if vision correction is dispensed (of any modality; spectacle or contact lens) and the wear schedule is faithfully adhered to by the patient, I think 30 days should be enough.

Need a follow-up on those CLs? Within 30 days.
    Need a follow-up on those new computer glasses? Within 30 days.

The sample size for the experiment is significant at that point.

Does everyone agree that 30 days is sufficient?

Is there any scientific reason we should give someone 60, or 90, or 180 days to try a therapy?

I do want feedback on this, please.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We do 30 days, but we will let it slide to 60 if we need to because the lab lets us. If we tell the pt 30 they will take 35-40...you know how that is. If we let it slide a few more days, then they think we are being extra nice to them. I tell all my patients that it should never take more than 2 weeks to get used to new glasses. Please call if you have any problems. The 30 days allows me to have them come back in... adjust glasses. See how they go for a few more days. Still having problems... allows time to schedule to see the Dr as necessary. What if the Dr's on vacation? Bad storm? IDK.... there is always an excuse. 30 to the pt but if they go a day or 2 over, then our 60 allows us to be the good guy.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    PRODUCT WARRANTIES

LENS WARRANTIES
    Scratch replacement warranty:
    One replacement per lens within 12 mo. of dispensing.
    Lens breakage from lens defect warranty: As needed replacement for 12 months.

FRAME WARRANTIES
    General frame policy:
    One year's warranty on all frames, unlimited for breakage (abuse and accidents excluded).

How to handle frame repairs and warranties:

Outside-purchased frames: Any parts will be charged at xX our cost plus special order fee. We do NOT do warranty work for other optical's frames, since we do not have the original invoice.

WEC frames:
    1. Under warranty: We order replacement part at no charge. Patient is to leave frame. We can't use part off board. To identify whether frame is under warranty or not, refer to date of purchase and make sure it's one year or less.

2. Not under warranty: We order replacement part. Patient is charged xX our cost. No special order fees apply. No scavenging off of board.

IF SOMEONE BUYS GLASSES AND THEN DOESN'T LIKE THE FRAME:
    Can return frame for full credit within 30 days.

For lenses, will be charged a remake fee, which will be 1/2 off retail price

Timeframe: within 30 days.

FOR PROBLEMS WITH VISION:
    If patient has vision problems with new glasses, and alerts us within 30 days, we will remake lenses NC. From 30-90 days, 50% off. Outside 90 days, 20% off.

Statement of spectacle refund policy:

(Usually these are disaster cases where we have big issues. Maybe even loss of patient.)

30 day no questions asked for full value, for private pay patients. For insured patients, out of pocket expenses returnable, but no restoration of insurance eligibility will be forthcoming.

Refunds will be made by credit card if original payment made by credit card, and by company check if by check. No cash refunds, ever, even if patient paid by cash, because we need documentation of return.

Does not include breakage due to misuse, accidents such as running over glasses, auto accidents, dogs, etc. Manufacturer's warranty against product defects only.

Frame warranty to 12 months, SRC or AR warranty 12 months.

Quoted job delivery times are not guarantees and do not constitute a reason for refund of glasses.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    At my current dispensary we don't specify a time frame. However, it's low volume and the labs offer us 120 days, so we rarely run into issues in that respect.

I used to work at LensCrafters (the great machine) and they have a hard 30 days for returns, remakes, exchanges, etc. After that you have to adapt or wipe up your tears. While I agree that scientifically speaking 30 days makes sense, I find that setting that limit causes some people to hyper fixate on issues which can be solved with an adjustment or time (all of this assumes the glasses are made correctly, which at LC can be a crap shoot.)

What I'm getting at is that setting a timeline can create a need for patients to find problems if adaptation is not easy or seamless IMO. I find that making your services available going forward after the initial dispense gives the patient the mental breathing room to be more receptive to any changes that need to take place. I think scientifically 30 days is sufficient, I think psychologically saying something like 60 days might allow patients to let the 30 days take their course.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Thanks, guys. I appreciate it a lot.

I like ODoS's thoughts about relieving psychological pressure, too.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I do care, but don’t care what the rest of the medical communities do.

My stated policy for Rx adjustments is 4 months, but will routinely allow up to 6 months, and sometimes longer.

For patients, life today often gets in the way.

Also, I am asking higher prices, and this and other broad warranties fall under what I call our “Total Eyewear Experience.”

FWIW

Barry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    I am asking higher prices, and this and other broad warranties fall under what I call our “Total Eyewear Experience.”

FWIW

Barry
    Makes sense. I like the "Total Eyewear Experience" idea. I assume you don't take insurance? That too would be a factor.

Thread Information