Thread: High Plus lenses

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

High Plus lenses

I'm looking to find what is the latest technology available for a +8.50 lens for best vision and cosmetic value. I'm working with a 14 year old female who is still wearing standard ply without A/R and desperately needs the best possible upgrade.

I'm actually not a new member here, but have been out of the loop for a while after losing a daughter and I couldn't log back in with my old user info.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would do a digital aspheric lens from whatever lab you work with in 1.67 or 1.74 material with a nice AR coating. Hoya iD single vision or Eyezen start/+0 or Shamir Autograph 3 SV. However the most important thing is going to be frame choice. It needs to fit her face well and as small as she can tolerate. You want the her pupil to be as close to the dead geometric center as you can possibly get.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter varmint's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The frame fit will be critical and may be a little difficult as this girl is 5'10" tall and has a fairly wide face. Poor girl has been wearing children's frames for the past 3 years and was fit with standard poly with no A/R... planning on getting her into a 1.74 index in the best lens I can find based on her new Rx and frame fit.
    Thanks for the lens recommendations NAICITPO as this gives a few avenues to consider.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Have contact lenses been discussed yet?

What's her best corrected acuity and do you know why she needs high plus? I always like to make note of this.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    Have contact lenses been discussed yet?
    +1

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm personal friends with the OD who she's always seen and he's been adamant about not fitting her with C/L as he feels she's not motivated & able to remove them. She's having a new exam with him today and coming to me for fitting. The OD & I had a discussion about her trying C/L as she has indicated she is beginning volleyball and wants to give cl a try. Meantime I plan on fitting her with an improved pair of eyewear.
    I'm not yet aware her corrected acuity or why she needs the high plus other than she's always had a similar Rx.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would forgo the 1.67/1.74 and use 1.60 with an optimal frame choice. I find high plus people very sensitive to chromatic aberrations.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwill212 View Post
    I would forgo the 1.67/1.74 and use 1.60 with an optimal frame choice. I find high plus people very sensitive to chromatic aberrations.
    Haven't worked a ton with 1.60, the abbe value difference doesn't seem to be a great difference in comparison to the poly vs trivex debate.

From what I'm seeing 1.60 with an abbe of 36 and 1.67 with an abbe of 32. I would think a lot of the poly vs trivex conversation we've had numerous times applies (viewing from oblique angles etc), but anything specific about 1.60 other than the abbe that makes it stand out as a better option?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If she's close to spherical, I wouldn't bother with a digital lens. A traditionally ground aspheric is going to be flatter and thinner than the digital (digital shoots for maximal vision and maintains better base curves, while traditional aspherics were designed for maximal cosmetics). I would also throw polycarbonate out there. Aspheric poly can be pretty aggressively flat, plus you can grind it to knife-edge thickness, which at that power will have the same center thickness as 1.67 but be lighter weight. 1.74 at 1.5 edge thickness won't even be thinner is you achieve a true knife-edge, but even if you only get a 1.0 edge 1.74 is only barely thinner, and because of density will definitely be heavier.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by NAICITPO View Post
    Haven't worked a ton with 1.60, the abbe value difference doesn't seem to be a great difference in comparison to the poly vs trivex debate.

From what I'm seeing 1.60 with an abbe of 36 and 1.67 with an abbe of 32. I would think a lot of the poly vs trivex conversation we've had numerous times applies (viewing from oblique angles etc), but anything specific about 1.60 other than the abbe that makes it stand out as a better option?
    1.60 Abbe is 41. I would say Abbe is a pretty massive concern for a +8.50.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwill212 View Post
    1.60 Abbe is 41. I would say Abbe is a pretty massive concern for a +8.50.
    Yeah looked at a wrong site for abbe value, looks like commonly it is 42. My mistake.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DanLiv View Post
    If she's close to spherical, I wouldn't bother with a digital lens. A traditionally ground aspheric is going to be flatter and thinner than the digital (digital shoots for maximal vision and maintains better base curves, while traditional aspherics were designed for maximal cosmetics). I would also throw polycarbonate out there. Aspheric poly can be pretty aggressively flat, plus you can grind it to knife-edge thickness, which at that power will have the same center thickness as 1.67 but be lighter weight. 1.74 at 1.5 edge thickness won't even be thinner is you achieve a true knife-edge, but even if you only get a 1.0 edge 1.74 is only barely thinner, and because of density will definitely be heavier.
    Great insight, thank you DanLiv

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    rx looks like this
    OD +8.50 -2.50 x 180
    OS +8.00 -1.50 x 005
    PD 31/31
    smallest frame possible to fit her was 54/17
    she's very tall and wide face.
    maximal cosmetics is her concern being 14yr old. I want to get her maximal vision as much as I can too.
    She's currently in conventional poly with no A/R in a frame she was fit with at 8yrs old! You can imagine how that looks!
    And in response to Uncle Fester her OD told me she's been a hyperope as long as he's known here since she was a small child.
    He did order her a set of trial extended range C/L to try on her.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    52/19? 50/21? Roundish frame, Asian fit, and with extended temples, a smaller eye size? 1.60 aspherical freeeform would be my choice.
    I bend light. That is what I do.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    You can have a digital aspheric lens correct for any parameter you would like. Some designs allow you to select your base curve. Any material can be made to a knife edge in a +8.50. Changing the base curve will have minimal effect on the center thickness as you change materials from cr to 1.74 you save about 10% with each index increase.
    Try the opticampus calculator leave the parameters the same and change the base curve to see the center thickness changes. Using an aspheric design will have minimal effect on the thickness as the drop in curvature is not more than 0,50.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    The thinnest choice would be a blended lenticular you can select the size of the field based on the frame selection. Whatever lab you choose to make the lenses could tell you how the thickness will change according to the size of the field.

Thread Information