Thread: Going on 3rd Re-do!

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Going on 3rd Re-do!

Hi all

I need some help with choosing the best PAL design for a small frame 49-16 B:31. It's a patient owned frame and current lenses were PALs from Costco. Unfortunately she is non adapt in the Auto II Variable and I tried the Intellect HD Universal (which I thought would be close to Costco brand lenses, but I thought wrong) I've sent the patient back to the O.D. for Rx recheck and he changed the Rx and matched the Rx in her old lenses. I feel like the the issue may be with the corridors. She complains about the sweet spots being inconsistent for intermediate and near. I feel like she may need something wider for near. Any suggestions? Maybe Comfort 2?

Occupation
    Optometrist
    "She complains about the sweet spots beging inconsistent for intermediate and near" sounds like a problem patient. Intermediate and near zones don't vary. They're the same. Every minute of every day. There's no such thing as "inconsistent" lenses.

If she's not just a complainer, you have to get her to explain what her issue is, in a way that makes optical sense, before you apply willy-nilly solutions.

Also, the idea of chasing some gold-standard-previously-adapted-to PAL design is sheer folly. Whatever the heck she had been wearing is probably inferior to the Auto II for intermediate and near, at least from a ray-tracing standpoint. You gave her one of the best lenses ever designed. That's not the problem.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think you didn't match Costco's price and she expected more for the higher price.

You can't fix that.

We also lack the rx's.

I've surreptitiously put old lenses back into frames with this complaint and listened to them say the problem is still there.

Does Costco do lenses only?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Try an 11mm or 13 mm design in an Auto 2 all depends on the ht. of the progressive. Check the shamir design chart...

OptiBoardaholic OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    whats the seg height on the 31B frame? I stick with the fixed corridors on the Auto2's, I've had a few complaints on the variable corridors that patients felt the reading zone was too low.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Seg Ht - 18. I've had problems with the variable as well either too low or sweet spots were very small.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    I think you didn't match Costco's price and she expected more for the higher price.

You can't fix that.

We also lack the rx's.

I've surreptitiously put old lenses back into frames with this complaint and listened to them say the problem is still there.

Does Costco do lenses only?
    Rx: OD -1.50-.75x100 / OS -1.50-.75x080 ADD +2.50

Costco does both glasses and lenses. I almost feel like she should go back to Costco if she likes the old lenses so much. I've been guilty of doing the same trick with trouble patients and adjustments, and it truly is psychological.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thank you for validating my choices regarding the Shamir lens. Her sensitivity to change is unfortunate. Her issues are all over the place, that was just a tid bit of what she was complaining about. Fitting was also an issue. I've probably spent over 2 hours total frame selecting with her when it should have only took 30 mins or less. Not to mention the time spent adjusting and figuring out the issues with the lenses.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    If you spend enough time in optics you realise that people will adjust to even the most terrible eyeswear, if they are motivated to do so.
    Therefore if they aren't adjusting to your well fitted, well made and correctly prescribed glasses, it's probably a them problem.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    *Freudian slip with 'eyeswear'

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Visionary831 View Post
    Thank you for validating my choices regarding the Shamir lens. Her sensitivity to change is unfortunate. Her issues are all over the place, that was just a tid bit of what she was complaining about. Fitting was also an issue. I've probably spent over 2 hours total frame selecting with her when it should have only took 30 mins or less. Not to mention the time spent adjusting and figuring out the issues with the lenses.
    When I reach this point I'll usually make a single vision pair of distance in a similar frame and have them wear it for a week.

Getting a feel for their reaction to this will have me explaining the difference in rx changes and lens designs and need for adaptation time yadda yadda.....

That escalates to an offer for one more redo which is usually a Younger Image (sometimes an old "T" design for whatever reason satisfies them), or a refund and suggestion they return to wherever.

A lot goes on in between this but you seem experienced enough to know it is time to fish or cut bait.

I refund less than one in a thousand jobs I dispense so I think that's a pretty good success rate.

Here's my analogy for a suspected head case:

On their 2nd or 3rd trip back and it looks like it is psychological I gently tell them if I were to put some electrodes in the vision part of the brain and hooked it up to a monitor; then told you, "Don't think of a tree", what image do they think will be on the monitor?

Can't be used on everyone but it often gets the point across as to where the issue is if you take my meaning;)

Thread Information